need to know about 3M

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
Okay, just throwing it out there. Instead of the powder, is there any company researching how to take a scan using pretty much sonar technology to detect hard surfaces giving a true margin line?

they are now using x-ray for scanning models, the same machine will scan the face the bone the model and the impression .

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I have to admit, I thought the Trios was fast ... granted we purchased one to show doctors so we've had a lot of practice, but the newest 3M True Definition is crazy fast. They brought it by and I had to retrain myself a little to not worry about speed or "pace" and just scan. Yea, there is powder still, but dang it seems to capture the data fast!
Seems like the majority of the doctors I've come in contact with that use or are interested in IOS, don't really care about the scan spray. They make it out like it's just a minimal issue that can be overlooked if the price and speed of the IOS is right. I would think that the spray would be a pain, but I guess it's not as much as I thought.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
You can actually download and import .stl files - I use exocad because it's easier for me, haven't tried it with our 3Shape. Next time you get a case, click on file and download. No charge. It works well and is easy to import. No need for the 3D glasses, just margins like you're used to. Hardware has changed each time, the wand each time has changed and been smaller. The new one is even smaller. Software has gotten faster. So yep, changes, and not really the same.
The big problem with using the .stl is if the doctor has bad scanning technique, it's hard to clean up the files. If there are holes in the scans, 3shape bugs out trying to make models or just sectioning the model file.

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
The big problem with using the .stl is if the doctor has bad scanning technique, it's hard to clean up the files. If there are holes in the scans, 3shape bugs out trying to make models or just sectioning the model file.
Agree, the nice thing with exocad having the editing ability is you can clean this up and fix quickly. I would assume 3Shape will follow suit with this, too.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Agree, the nice thing with exocad having the editing ability is you can clean this up and fix quickly. I would assume 3Shape will follow suit with this, too.
are you able to fill voids where the doctor doesn't scan properly? We send quite a few back to 3M to have the margins fixed, filled, etc.

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
are you able to fill voids where the doctor doesn't scan properly? We send quite a few back to 3M to have the margins fixed, filled, etc.
You can fill voids and trim/clean data, you'd still be sending them back though for margin issues however ... not a fix for poor margin info. If they can just scan the prep and the contacts, and leave the rest to you. Then you can clean up the rest. I have filled holes above the margin, flat surfaces/areas that I know won't create an issue.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
but it will allow you to trim that data both before it leaves the dentist chair, and again when it gets to the lab.

one very amazing dentist i have uses it (the trim function) to lock and snip data around the margin once he has a good read.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It will also notify and indicate where missing data exists and highlights areas of importance.

Top Bottom