Need help to ID this implant

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
KC.jpgThe implant is loose. The Dr. who restored it does not know what it is. There are no pictures of the interface, only this one picture. So before the current Dr. removes this implant she wants to know what healing color to use. Help!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The implant or the abutment is loose?
Looks like the abutment is. ¿¿My guess is Zimmer/BH or 3i internal hex??
Is it screw or cement retained?

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
The implant or the abutment is loose?
Looks like the abutment is. ¿¿My guess is Zimmer/BH or 3i internal hex??
Is it screw or cement retained?
Sorry, abutment is loose. Its cement retained. I thought it could be Zimmer but wanted an expert opinion.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Sorry, abutment is loose. Its cement retained. I thought it could be Zimmer but wanted an expert opinion.
I'm no expert on guessing implants from radiographs. Better off taking advice from Jo Chen or Darwin.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Some how I feel like the doc is going to have to perforate the crown to remove it, which basically makes it junk. So go ahead and do that, find out what implant it is, then put the crown back in, get the parts to re-restore it and move forward.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Some how I feel like the doc is going to have to perforate the crown to remove it, which basically makes it junk. So go ahead and do that, find out what implant it is, then put the crown back in, get the parts to re-restore it and move forward.
The Dr. wanted to have the correct healing color ready after removing the crown and abutment. That crown is toast.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The Dr. wanted to have the correct healing color ready after removing the crown and abutment. That crown is toast.
Yes, but like Doug suggested, if the doc can make an access to the screw channel it is likely that the whole crown and cemented abutment can be removed to confirm the connection geometry type and the crown could be screwed back down until the parts are sorted out. Happens a lot here when we inherit cases like this.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
The Dr. said "Oh its easy for you to say JUST drill a hole through the crown!" But I agree with you guys.

doug

doug

Reaction score
The Dr. said "Oh its easy for you to say JUST drill a hole through the crown!" But I agree with you guys.
That seems to be one of the big problems these days. Implants are a tremendous profit center, but that doc is going to have to take the bad along with the cash. I live with this stuff daily and it gets really old to have a doc dump on the lab. It's not that hard to perforate a crown that is a pfm. It does take time and burs and a lot of water, but they can do it. This is why we do many "Screwmentation" crowns. Retrieveability has become a common practice with implants, I don't know what isn't being done correctly, but keeping a screw tight has been an issue

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Just FYI.
It is always good to warn the patient that the porcelain might chip and render the crown not as ideal to keep.
However, if it is PFM and DDS knows what he/she is doing, it is possible to access carefully to find the screw hole before
trying to retrieve the abutment screw and replace with a new one.
Needing to find the right implant is more important so you can get the right screw-driver so he/she can retrieve the abutment
screw. Once that is done, and after what ever needs to be address with the crown and abutment itself (proximal, occl contact,
etc),the abutment and crown can be replaced with low torque tightening if a new abutment screw is not ready on hand.
IF I know the implant for sure and can order a new screw, that may be all that is needed to retorque with the recommended
torque after polishing, etc, and filling access with resin after a retrievable block out material like Teflon, etc.
Not every loose abutment crown needs to be redone, is what I am saying.
Just my 2 cents.
LCM

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Also, I am concerned with the irregular image at the mesial of the implant platform-abutment interface - looked like the interface might
be damaged . . . but need to examine clinically. I am NOT one to diagnose something like that from a radiograph.
Good luck,
LCM

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Have him remove, take picture and measure interface. Then put crown (w/hole now) back on...tighten up and fill hole with composite. No need for healing cap.

D

Darwin Bagley CDT

Reaction score
Yea,
Looks like Zimmer Screw-Vent 4.5 platform.
But like Icmlabforum mentioned, the mesial/occlusal interface of the implant is damaged.

Darwin

The implant is loose. The Dr. who restored it does not know what it is. There are no pictures of the interface, only this one picture. So before the current Dr. removes this implant she wants to know what healing color to use. Help!
[/QUOTE]

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Well, I told the Dr. that the implant is probably Zimmer screwvent 4.5mm diameter platform and emailed her a link to whatimplantisthat.com. Have not heard anything yet.
Thank you guys for your input !!!!!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
So let me see if I get this right.. Labs are supposed to follow OSHA, DAMAS, GMPs, keep records on file.. BUT a Dr that screws an implant in someones face doesnt have to keep track of what implant they put in a patient, for the life of that patient?? Isnt that malpractice?
Why are Drs asking labs to ask on an internet forum which implant a patient has, from nothing but an xray? Talk about sht rolling down hill..

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
i thumbnail_603155738.jpgUpdate: Dr. attempted to drill a hole through the crown to the abutment. After drilling 4mm into the crown there was no hole to be found. Turns out this implant was done 30 years ago according to the patient. The abutment is a solid piece of titanium screwed into the implant healing color style. The Dr. was able to get the crown off of the abutment. The crown will be sand blasted intaglio and recemented. The huge dimple in the occlusal will be plugged with composite. And I still don't know what exactly was loose. That's all folks! Edit: Dr. says the hole in the abutment could be plugged with amalgam so it looks like non is there.

Last edited: