Need help for CAD milled flexible dentures

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Anyone tried to make the milled flexible dentures? I'd like to know the next process after you have a milled framework. Because I'm not sure about if the flexible material could be placed into the boiling water as the common process do, and I couldn't find anything useful on Youtube or the instruction of the product. Moreover what if the clasp of the flexible dentures is broken or loose? Could it be repaired? 捕获.PNG

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Anyone tried to make the milled flexible dentures? I'd like to know the next process after you have a milled framework. Because I'm not sure about if the flexible material could be placed into the boiling water as the common process do, and I couldn't find anything useful on Youtube or the instruction of the product. Moreover what if the clasp of the flexible dentures is broken or loose? Could it be repaired? View attachment 41317
No flexible milled denture. It is a partial. This used to be pressed just like any flexible material. No repair and no reline can be done on this material. Broken clasp, inject a new one wherever it is possible.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
No flexible milled denture. It is a partial. This used to be pressed just like any flexible material. No repair and no reline can be done on this material. Broken clasp, inject a new one wherever it is possible.
Thanks! But I'd like to know if you means injecting acrylic resin to repair the broken or loose clasp?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
You can put a acetyl resin partial (that's what your picture is) in a boil to heat cure your acrylic, no problem.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, what is the general census on these type of frameworks compared to metal. Solid alternative, only for certain situations, or better in every way?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, what is the general census on these type of frameworks compared to metal. Solid alternative, only for certain situations, or better in every way?
Not really a big fan. You really have to make the clasps twice to three times larger than traditional metal clasps...if you get it thin it becomes very flimsy and prone to breakage. However, in some certain cases, I can see where this would be aesthetically advantageous. Another tool to add to the toolbox for sure. Just my take.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
make yourself a small mouthguard, two or three teeth wide. wear it often.

you will hate the texture of it eventually.

flexible material will eventually be good, but this aint it chief.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
They're crap

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Acetal is used on Harleys for the chain guide, its tough stuff.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Acetal is used on Harleys for the chain guide, its tough stuff.
also known as Delrin it is a common bearing or bushing material for lightweight, lowspeed environments, and commonly mistaken to be identical to HDPE which is isn't.

Delrin Acetal is found in a lot of locking nuts, pulley bearings, journal bearings and other applications where oilless or no lubricant is desired - ie pneumatics or space applications. fun fact since metal objects of similar densities fuse in the vacuum of space, a lot of components are coated in plastics so that metal-to-metal contact does not create a cold weld situation.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Thanks! But I'd like to know if you means injecting acrylic resin to repair the broken or loose clasp?
No flexible injected clasps like Duraflex, TCS or other similar material. Using mechanical retention to the original mesh.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I would rather do a hybrid cast with clear flex clasps. I know it can be relined and repaired in case.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Metal has still not been replaced as king of the partial denture framework. There are select applications where these work for certain patients. Id prefer to never use one.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Metal has still not been replaced as king of the partial denture framework. There are select applications where these work for certain patients. Id prefer to never use one.
Hello, could you share more about your opinions? I think metal is not that comfortable and natural compared to flexible framework. What is the reason that metal is still irreplaceable now

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Hello, could you share more about your opinions? I think metal is not that comfortable and natural compared to flexible framework. What is the reason that metal is still irreplaceable now
I'll take a shot....
Metal is rigid, solid rest seats, it is thinner than flexible while still remaining strong. Clasps can have a springing action for grip when adjusted. And the fact that a dentist can adjust them like a wire clasp chairside with pliers.

With a welder they are repairable, and additions can be made without flasking.

Usually a metal frame partial can last for decades, and can be relined or rebased with new saddles and teeth.

I would consider myself a flexible expert, and I still make more cast frame rpds.

Metal rpds are proven in all partial denture scenarios. Flexibles however have a very limited use when they are prescribed correctly.... Which is almost never the case. Flexibles are over prescribed as the magic partial, and they shouldn't be. They are great until there is a problem, and because of poor application, there will be a problem eventually.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
I'll take a shot....
Metal is rigid, solid rest seats, it is thinner than flexible while still remaining strong. Clasps can have a springing action for grip when adjusted. And the fact that a dentist can adjust them like a wire clasp chairside with pliers.

With a welder they are repairable, and additions can be made without flasking.

Usually a metal frame partial can last for decades, and can be relined or rebased with new saddles and teeth.

I would consider myself a flexible expert, and I still make more cast frame rpds.

Metal rpds are proven in all partial denture scenarios. Flexibles however have a very limited use when they are prescribed correctly.... Which is almost never the case. Flexibles are over prescribed as the magic partial, and they shouldn't be. They are great until there is a problem, and because of poor application, there will be a problem eventually.
Thank you! So when will you choose the flexible material? As you said, it is likely that the flexible material only has an advantage on comfort. More difficult to repair and less durable🤣

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Thank you! So when will you choose the flexible material? As you said, it is likely that the flexible material only has an advantage on comfort. More difficult to repair and less durable🤣
Correct..... I use when whiny patient "doesn't want metal showing". But I only make if it meets criteria. Most manufacturers have indications for design.... For example I don't know of any thermoplastic that is recommended for bilateral distal extension rpds.
A successful flexible case has a minimal of three retentive teeth. Should not be used in a close bite case, especially a nylon type. Also not indicated for single isolated anterior teeth.

Thermoplastics are not a blanket replacement for acrylic or metal. Patients and clients always point at the flexible clasps (metal free),but the biggest benefit of a flexible rpd is the flexible major connector.

Flexibles usually fail because they are forced in non applicable cases, or processed by an experienced technician.

So the problem with your original post is it is an acetal frame, which will become brittle as it ages. It will be unrepairable as acetal does not bond to itself as a nylon based thermoplastic. Acrylic will not bond to it so eventually the retentive saddles will tear the mesh off with it. And then will become a remake.
Other thermoplastics would be a better choice. And I would try to avoid a two-part hybrid.

The reason for that advertisement, is acetal is a millable thermoplastic. It looks good in the picture, is metal free, makes you think futuristic aesthetics, and gives the guy with a mill something else to do with downtime cutting crowns. I don't use acetal in my injections. It does have its place, but it's further down the list.

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Remember, When it comes to flexibles, you have to reverse build it in your thinking. Clearances, material thickness, tooth strength, tear resistance, and material of choice.
It will need to be repaired/ serviced one day and your client isn't gonna wanna hear about temporary, unfix-able, gotta send it off explanations with the crying patient in the chair who has to go to church Sunday.

They never listen when you sell it, they are problem reaction people..
I tried in the early years sending flexibles off for processing, and it was a disaster. you become the middle man in a mess. So i aquired my own equipment and started learning and experimenting on my own so I could fix any problems that arise in house.

The middle is a bad place to be when you cant profit from it.

Last edited:
Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Remember, When it comes to flexibles, you have to reverse build it in your thinking. Clearances, material thickness, tooth strength, tear resistance, and material of choice.
It will need to be repaired/ serviced one day and your client isn't gonna wanna hear about temporary, unfix-able, gotta send it off explanations with the crying patient in the chair who has to go to church Sunday.

They never listen when you sell it, they are problem reaction people..
I tried in the early years sending flexibles off for processing, and it was a disaster. you become the middle man in a mess. So i aquired my own equipment and started learning and experimenting on my own so I could fix any problems that arise in house.

The middle is a bad place to be when you cant profit from it.
Really professional! Thanks for your suggestions, sir. I think it is more complicated than what I thought to fabricate a flexible rpd.:(

Top Bottom