need advice on Ivocap processed dentures

L

lablady

Reaction score
Hi. I am interning in a lab that uses the Ivocap system to process dentures. They use some kind of green stone to cover the occlusals of the denture teeth before pouring the 2nd layer of stone. After processing there is stone stuck between and around all the teeth. It's quite time consuming to clean up. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen with Ivocap. Can anybody out there tell me what is going wrong? Thanks.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
So what isolation did U use on the stone? Isolation separator is still required. A shell blaster works quite nicely if separator is forgotten on not applied in 2 coats. It has been a few years since I tried the Ivocap but my friend uses it although she doesn't like computer forums, she said 2 coats and comes out nice & clean.

abdeutsch

abdeutsch

Reaction score
Best way to process Ivocap

Heres what you need to do. This method will give you amazing results. Originally this technique was shown by Robert Kreyer in a DLP article. I have found great results using this, however I have switched to a less expensive material.

You need to use a VPS and putty which work together. In Robert's article he used Ivoclar Virtual VPS xtra light body and Sil Tech putty.

Heres what I use; Zhermack's Zetalabor original putty, and Zhermack HD Elite xtra light body regular set (it's blue).

The HD Elite is injected in one motion all along the dento-gingival junction of your half flasked Ivocap wax up, both buccal and palatal or lingual aspects. As soon as you finish injecting this with the extruding gun, mix your Zetalabor putty and press down and all around your wax up being sure to expose the occlusal surfaces, I usually expose a little of the buccal on all incisals as well. Keep pushing lightly toward the waxup to ensure the light body captures all details.

Once done put the other half of flask on and pour up. May be a little more work at this stage, but you will be glad when you open up your cases! Cleaner than clean can be.

I can send you pictures if you like.
Arian

H

HDL Owner

Reaction score
Not sure about Ivocap method. I still use the old tried and true press packed method. However, some steps must be the same: A clean water boil-off, wash mold with brush and soap! There are only two that work best-Palmolive or tide which are detergents not soap. wash/rinse/wash again and rinse again. Paint both halves of molds twice!!!!!!!!!!!! There are no short cuts to this procedure. comes clean and shell blasting at best is a 2 second job.

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
Sounds like a boil-out issue. Don't let the wax become molten during the boil-out procedure, just soft enough to remove from the flask. A clean boil-out tank is essential. I've tried other separators and found that Ivoclars works best. 2 coats works well. Any remaining stone after processing either picks off easily or will come off with plaster and stone remover in the ultrasonic. IMHO, additional insulators and silicones are an unnecessary expense and can potentially lead to tooth movement in the flask.

I had your exact problem with Ivocap many years ago and went to Ivoclar's class for answers. They were using the boil-out unit pictured ( Kavo now Wasserman). I bought it and have never had another problem with stone sticking to the teeth. I'm not saying to go out and buy this boil-out unit, but clean boil-out water is essential.
170987-e.jpg

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I agree with the above....We have had problems using different soaps at the school...Dish detergent works best...Someone used an antiseptic soap to clean out his molds and had a similar problem...
For me, I let them sit in boiling water for 8-10 minutes...then rinse them out with freshly boiled water from a common kettle....Then I use wax solvent on them twice....Then I clean them with sunlight or palmolive dish soap twice and rinse again with hot water....Three liberal coats of separator and walla never any problems breaking them out....
I am curious what type of stone you are using on the teeth....Why not a putty?....Take care....from a newbie...DS

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Then I use wax solvent on them twice...
Nothing wrong with over kill (I'm an American of course) but when U pay for your own chemicals this is expensive & can contaminate the structure of the teeth depending on the wax solvent. This step can even contribute to tooth popping out as the ATI, & Keystone wax solvents can prevent bonding of PMMA (if over exposed). Dish soap (detergent) is great, I like to add borax as a oil remover (most waxes contain oil now) It also does not react with either the PMMA or stones allowing for proper separator action. Is also very cheep, and when used in laundry gets wax & stains out of clothing.

H

HDL Owner

Reaction score
OUCH! Wax solvent? @ 22$ a gallon? WHY? denture are not highly profitable to begin with and add more cost on top for processing? Not here. Tide detergent with borax as stated above, cost about 3cents worth and a nice clean mold and tooth surface, and the lab will smell great like a laundry mat! If you have any input in the lab tell the tooth arrangement person to "always" grind the ridge lap" before setting the teeth to break the glaze on it, allowing for better bonding. Presto. I just unflasked 12 dentures and not one had to go to the shell blaster for clean-up!

L

lablady

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. Sounds like putty is the solution but I'm glad to have all the great information that everyone provided. Have a great week!

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
I wash mine with mr. Clean, and it seems to work okay. I'm curious about tide/ borax. I am guessing liquid tide?? And how much borax do you add? (and uh, where do you buy borax, cause I don't get out much)

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
We are using something called siltec lab putty as an insulating barrier. ...However I am finding that the teeth don't hold as well using it....Someday I would like to try the pour method using agar hydrocoloid as an investment medium...No muss no fuss...take care....DS

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I wash mine with mr. Clean, and it seems to work okay. I'm curious about tide/ borax. I am guessing liquid tide?? And how much borax do you add? (and uh, where do you buy borax, cause I don't get out much)
You can order it on line; the one without the hand soap is best, in the States it is easily purchased in grocery stores under the name 20 Mule Team. In Canada probably a hardware store near the degreasers. I suppose U could just order it on line. Buy 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster & Multi-Purpose Household Cleaner Online at drugstore.com You only need about 5-10 grams per liter borax & powder detergent around 10-20 grams per liter. The combination will not effect the stone or putty. The putty adds a bit more than wax solvent to the cost of a denture. Dental Student when U leave school the time & costs will be quite an eye opener.
By the way iBorax is great for getting rid of bugs. My 5hitsu puppy got fleas & the Borax is much safer than poisons.

Last edited:
C

chomperman32

Reaction score
Make sure your case is pristine clean. I used laundry powder without scents in it. Rinse with clean water. I used Ivocap separator which worked quite well. Two coats of separator and your cases should break out clean.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I found that the biggest sin you can commit during boil out is leaving the flask immersed too long. If the wax liquifies, the oil goes into the stone and it will repel any separator.
Boil out just long enough to soften the wax and you'll solve 90% of your problems right there.

B

Bearriver

Reaction score
Best way to process Ivocap

Heres what you need to do. This method will give you amazing results. Originally this technique was shown by Robert Kreyer in a DLP article. I have found great results using this, however I have switched to a less expensive material.

You need to use a VPS and putty which work together. In Robert's article he used Ivoclar Virtual VPS xtra light body and Sil Tech putty.

Heres what I use; Zhermack's Zetalabor original putty, and Zhermack HD Elite xtra light body regular set (it's blue).

The HD Elite is injected in one motion all along the dento-gingival junction of your half flasked Ivocap wax up, both buccal and palatal or lingual aspects. As soon as you finish injecting this with the extruding gun, mix your Zetalabor putty and press down and all around your wax up being sure to expose the occlusal surfaces, I usually expose a little of the buccal on all incisals as well. Keep pushing lightly toward the waxup to ensure the light body captures all details.

Once done put the other half of flask on and pour up. May be a little more work at this stage, but you will be glad when you open up your cases! Cleaner than clean can be.

I can send you pictures if you like.
Arian
This sounds like a great technique please post some photos.

Top Bottom