NBC to Launch Computer-Based Testing for Written Examinations

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
NBC is excited to announce that they are launching computer-based testing for the written examinations. The first computer-based testing (CBT) written examinations will be offered beginning July 1, 2018.

“The NBC Board of Trustees has been researching computer-based testing options for some time now,” said NBC Chair, Denise Burris, CDT. “Our goal was to increase accessibility for dental technicians interested in pursuing the CDT examinations, without sacrificing examination security. We saw computer-based testing as an opportunity to offer a greater number of testing locations and more flexible scheduling.”

NBC will partner with Assessment Systems Corporation to offer the CDT and RG written examinations online using a third-party remote proctor. “Computer-based testing with remote proctoring still meets the desire for increased accessibility as candidates will be able to complete their CDT or RG written examinations online at a location, date and time of their choosing,” said NBC Secretary/Fiscal Officer, Dennis Urban, CDT.

Of course, there will be certain rules to ensure the integrity of the process. For example, test takers will be required to select a 30-day testing window during which time they must schedule and complete their examination. Additionally, test takers will be required to test in a private location and no recording devices or test related materials may be on the desk or within reach of the test taker. Test takers must also have a computer available with a webcam, speakers, microphone and internet access to be able to communicate with the remote online proctor. Most importantly, test takers will be required to complete a series of security protocols before, during and after the examination.

“Over the last two years, our focus has been on updating our examinations to keep pace with the changing market trends’,” said Morris Fucarino, CDT, NBC Vice Chair. “In 2017, we launched revised job task outlines, updated examination references, reviewed and rewrote examination questions and revised practical examinations. Now, our goal is to focus on how we can deliver these examinations to make them more convenient, while still maintaining the integrity of the process.”

For additional information on becoming a CDT and the new computer-based testing option for the written examinations, please visit https://nbccert.org/certificants/certified-dental-technician/cdt-application.cfm or contact NBC by email at [email protected] or by phone at (800) 684-5310.

Continue reading...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Holy cow thats great news! Traveling to another state to take a test is so 1900s.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Now all you need is multi monitors to cheat, no more printing the hard to remember stuff in the ingredients area on shiny paper and taping it to the Coke bottle.

Yes, seen it done. Not for CDT, but seen it done.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
This will be done in a testing center with proctors not at home, no cheating.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
This will be done in a testing center with proctors not at home, no cheating.
I don’t think so.
“...... using a third-party remote proctor.”

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
ah I see online proctor.. So this is to get more people interested in how easy it is to become a CDT, drive up membership? This is a joke, they have testing facilities in most cities..

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I thought it would be a legit testing facility like pro metric.com That would be an hour from me as opposed to having to fly to Seattle for the one date every other year or Cali. Online sounds convenient but fishy.. for a career certification..

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be a legit testing facility like pro metric.com That would be an hour from me as opposed to having to fly to Seattle for the one date every other year or Cali. Online sounds convenient but fishy.. for a career certification..
Maybe sketchy is what they’re going for? Trying to be more like that other 3-letter group?

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
This is for the written test. The practical test is where you have to travel. I’m not seeing the big benefit. Certification for a labor force which is ‘unskilled’ seems unnecessary.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
In fairness, I expect they will require you to go to a community college testing center or something similar. The ones we have locally support remote proctoring setups and on-site proctoring for multiple test-to-bypass-class and test to certify programs.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
In fairness, I expect they will require you to go to a community college testing center or something similar. The ones we have locally support remote proctoring setups and on-site proctoring for multiple test-to-bypass-class and test to certify programs.

It says no such thing. “Private area”, that’s it.

8585483_B-016_A-48_D6-_ACCF-8995_B70_ADC68.jpg

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
They watch you on a webcam? So you can have the air force manual wallpapered on the wall behind your monitor.. as long as you dont squint..

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Maybe they make you pan around the room with the webcam? They must think it can be done in such a way that makes cheating difficult.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The test isnt that hard, shouldnt have to cheat anyways..