NATIONAL TV CAMPAIGN

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i don't understand this need for patriotism.

people need to be assured of the product quality, over its country of origin.

if i got a pacemaker i'd be more concerned about haveing a qualified doctor put a quality product in me, rather than look at the color of his skin and the stamp on the pacemaker.

much the same with teeth; if i can bite down and eat, great. beyond that, why should i give two flying fish ?

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I think that we all maybe forgetting that with digital dentistry the drs will take a scan and send it wherever the heck they want. That may be China but what if it was Iran? Egypt? Turkey? Korea? Japan? Brazil? Honduras? Do we still fell the same way? They are not "communist". But they have far worse human rights violations. What if China was not "communist"? What about Lab how send over-flow work offshore? What about Glidewell who make their stuff int he USA and gives out $79 zirconia and Emax. Why is Glidewell not as attacked as China?

In days past Glidewell along the other big labs using the evil step worker production methods were the target.

For those that think only the guy next door is their neighbor, take care of them. All my next door neighbors have good jobs already but the one next door that is building a large pool is going to need some supervision and personal attention to keep him safe.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
i don't understand this need for patriotism.

people need to be assured of the product quality, over its country of origin.

if i got a pacemaker i'd be more concerned about haveing a qualified doctor put a quality product in me, rather than look at the color of his skin and the stamp on the pacemaker.

much the same with teeth; if i can bite down and eat, great. beyond that, why should i give two flying fish ?

you don't understand?

ok.

let me ask you a question. if you had just $100 and your kids were hungry?

would you take that $100 and send it all to the needy kids over seas or would you go down and buy your family some food?

in your reply i will expect diversion or sarcasm. but how about an honest answer?

i suspect a good person would look after the family first.
as far as im concerned my country is family too.

that is patriotism. that is loyalty. that is the honorable and the right thing to do... in any country.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if i had $100 to spend on feeding my family i would opt to make that 100 bucks go as far as it could.

buy bread at 59c a loaf from the pakistani whole foods store, or buy the wonderbread for a dollar more?

pakistani bread here i come.

as would you. as would anyone.

bread is bread. white, brown, whole grain, flat, texas toast... all the same. why pay more?

same with teeth; we all make them with the same materials, its no wonder dentists always shop for the cheap price. we buy and use FDA/CDA approved products for use in the crowns, why should a dentist pay exorbitant prices for my stuff when clearly the same crown can be had for x% cheaper down the road? yes they import but its the same item.

why go to Five guys when you can have a bigboy burger for a dollar less?

the almighty dollar is still king. it doesnt matter where your products come from so long as the wallet doesnt suffer.

this is the consumer mentality.

why buy Fords at twice the price of Honda?

same breakdowns, a lot of the same parts (you'd be surprised how interchangeable a lot of cars parts are now). price is king.

why buy apple when adnroids are cheaper?

why buy name brand when the next best thing is half the price? why hire american workers when mexicans work for beans?

the almighty dollar. long live the american dream.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I think that we all maybe forgetting that with digital dentistry the drs will take a scan and send it wherever the heck they want. That may be China but what if it was Iran? Egypt? Turkey? Korea? Japan? Brazil? Honduras? Do we still fell the same way? They are not "communist". But they have far worse human rights violations. What if China was not "communist"? What about Lab how send over-flow work offshore? What about Glidewell who make their stuff int he USA and gives out $79 zirconia and Emax. Why is Glidewell not as attacked as China?

You should read the whole thread. Gw was brought up much earlier.

J

jkivimaki

Reaction score
I read most of the thread. Glidewell was not the point. My point is that it just seems like we are racist to the Chinese.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Not racists. Such an easy term to throw around. I am not a fan of the jumbo mill lab period. But I'm an old dog in the game. Some here just think the end user should be informed of the country of origin. No matter where it is fabricated. Including USA. Let the patient be informed. Why is that so hard to understand. If I sell in China they should be informed. MADE IN USA.

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
Not racists. Such an easy term to throw around. I am not a fan of the jumbo mill lab period. But I'm an old dog in the game. Some here just think the end user should be informed of the country of origin. No matter where it is fabricated. Including USA. Let the patient be informed. Why is that so hard to understand. If I sell in China they should be informed. MADE IN USA.

Yes,patent as a consumer suppose to have right to know and a choice like any product where its made . In dental office dentist usually do not disclose that, charging BIG TIME!!! There is nothing racist about!!!! I even did not mansion the real certified and controlled by independent organisation proof of what kind of material been used to make dental restoration.:smash:

Last edited:
DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
if i had $100 to spend on feeding my family i would opt to make that 100 bucks go as far as it could.

buy bread at 59c a loaf from the pakistani whole foods store, or buy the wonderbread for a dollar more?

pakistani bread here i come.

as would you. as would anyone.

bread is bread. white, brown, whole grain, flat, texas toast... all the same. why pay more?

same with teeth; we all make them with the same materials, its no wonder dentists always shop for the cheap price. we buy and use FDA/CDA approved products for use in the crowns, why should a dentist pay exorbitant prices for my stuff when clearly the same crown can be had for x% cheaper down the road? yes they import but its the same item.

why go to Five guys when you can have a bigboy burger for a dollar less?

the almighty dollar is still king. it doesnt matter where your products come from so long as the wallet doesnt suffer.

this is the consumer mentality.

why buy Fords at twice the price of Honda?

same breakdowns, a lot of the same parts (you'd be surprised how interchangeable a lot of cars parts are now). price is king.

why buy apple when adnroids are cheaper?

why buy name brand when the next best thing is half the price? why hire american workers when mexicans work for beans?

the almighty dollar. long live the american dream.

yes. i understand. but the bottom line is you just fed your family... first.

im out for a bargain as much as anybody. and i want to make a profit as much as anybody...

but not at any price.

and i certainty will not trade my dignity or my honor for it.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
everyone has a price. you will sell your dignity one day, and it will seem you have made the bargain of a lifetime.

everyone does it, and everyone immediately regrets the decision.

it may not be though business, either. it could be that you are sold on the promises of a certain politician, or are convinced of the quality of a certain product you hadn't otherwise known until a person pointed it out to you.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
everyone has a price. you will sell your dignity one day, and it will seem you have made the bargain of a lifetime.

everyone does it, and everyone immediately regrets the decision.

it may not be though business, either. it could be that you are sold on the promises of a certain politician, or are convinced of the quality of a certain product you hadn't otherwise known until a person pointed it out to you.

i apologize.
it wasn't my intention to come off as so self righteous.

i guess im just disappointed with the constant avocation of the "ease" and "profit" of outsourcing.

it wouldn't be easy for me. no matter what the profit.

if the greedy want to sell their patriotism for an extra buck or two that's fine. if its a choice they can live with, and its legal than i say go for it. but i don't have to like it. or buy into it as being the "right" or "best" thing to do for america. just because it is the easiest thing to do.

but.. if they want to come on here and basically say your destiny is to lose the dental industry in america because you are fat, stupid, lazy american dental techs with no business sense.. and your putting out a crappy product... as an average, we all know that's just not true.

if trade relations are not fair and balanced and we are struggling to compete.. that is a whole different thing than putting out a crappy product.

as far as the big outsourcing advocate on this site.. i think if he was half as secure with his position as he pretends to be,. there would be no reason to keep pushing it so hard.. other than advertising.

so why not just man up and call it what it is? instead of acting like he is our mate, our pal and only on here to help? (help us out of our job).

please! just stop pizzing on my head and telling me its raining.
is that so much to ask? :D

Last edited:
toothwiz

toothwiz

Reaction score
Oh! so its a money deal.

Most will not even join the NADL.

Those that think Americans will not buy imported when it comes to custom dental devices may want to go to the store...any store.

The people that buy only American are as scarce as those The Worlds Ending Bunker Builders on TV.

"The people that buy only American are as scarce..." Not dental patients if we can educate them.

Supposed you are the dental patient and I ask you (I am a dentist),"Where would you prefer to have your dental crown made? In China, Guatemala, Iran, or the US?"...you might say, "I don't care, I pay $1,600 any ways."

Let's look at it from another angle.

Supposed you are the dental patient and I ask you (I am a dentist),"Where would you prefer to have your $1,600 dental crown made? Of your $1,600 I will pay a dental lab, in China $25, in Guatemala $45, in Iran $35 and in the US $200" I think your answer would be different.

Most patients don't know what dentist are paying the lab, where they are outsourcing it to, and what kinds of materials are going into their mouth...but we can help fill in the blanks...one patient at a time.

toothwiz

toothwiz

Reaction score
Since I'm in Canada it doesn't effect me.We solved this problem 20 years ago.

You have no way of measureing the effect of a National campaign and you couldn't afford it

Each lab should advertise their own business.

LIKE---> "Each lab should advertise their own business."

And create public awareness so the public knows we exist and what we do.

toothwiz

toothwiz

Reaction score
Sure your right.

The problem is I've heard this same lip service on these sites for 25 years. That's long before I was involved with offshore. When there was money to be collected to start these grandiose plans the voices grow silent and fade away. the track record so far is you guys are going to do NOTHING BUT TALK.

I disagree with MarkJ on many things but I respect his willingness to do more than talk. I would suggest that joining the NADL and getting involved is the first step for change. Quit telling yourself your to busy or to broke to participate and make some sacrifices to change your lot in life.

LIKE "I disagree with MarkJ on many things but I respect his willingness to do more than talk."

V

VTDave

Reaction score
LIKE---> "Each lab should advertise their own business."

And create public awareness so the public knows we exist and what we do.
As a patient the problem I have had is that labs refuse to talk to me when I have questions about materials and how crowns are made. Very few labs will talk to a patient. I have some material allergies so I need to know what the materials are. I also need them to be well made - I have found that it can be difficult to get a well made captek bridge.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
As a patient the problem I have had is that labs refuse to talk to me when I have questions about materials and how crowns are made. Very few labs will talk to a patient. I have some material allergies so I need to know what the materials are. I also need them to be well made - I have found that it can be difficult to get a well made captek bridge.

Yes that's right VT Dave, labs don't talk to patients, docs talk to patients, we are only limited to what the doc requests. If you have questions see your doc.....we went down this road with you a couple of years back. please don't post your clinical or materials questions here. Thank you.

toothwiz

toothwiz

Reaction score
Yes that's right VT Dave, labs don't talk to patients, docs talk to patients, we are only limited to what the doc requests. If you have questions see your doc.....we went down this road with you a couple of years back. please don't post your clinical or materials questions here. Thank you.

dmonwaxa,

If a patients calls...I gladly answer any questions. I welcome the opportunity.

...but we should and we can talk to patients...and the general public. It's as simple as wearing a t-shirt or holding a mug that has a graphic as simple as my avatar (or look at ***'s current avatar) to get a conversation going with the general public. I have been stopped by dentist and the general public because of my t-shirt "Lab is good." Once you get the conversation going you can say whatever it is that you want to say about the dental industry...you can tell them you support outsourcing and why...or if you don't believe in outsourcing you can tell them the pros and cons. You can tell them about CAD/ CAM or you can tell them about the handcrafted art. T-shirts and mugs are one way...there are many other creative ways to start the conversation to educate the general public.

We have to speak up...if we want to become visible.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
dmonwaxa,

If a patients calls...I gladly answer any questions. I welcome the opportunity.

...but we should and we can talk to patients...and the general public. It's as simple as wearing a t-shirt or holding a mug that has a graphic as simple as my avatar (or look at ***'s current avatar) to get a conversation going with the general public. I have been stopped by dentist and the general public because of my t-shirt "Lab is good." Once you get the conversation going you can say whatever it is that you want to say about the dental industry...you can tell them you support outsourcing and why...or if you don't believe in outsourcing you can tell them the pros and cons. You can tell them about CAD/ CAM or you can tell them about the handcrafted art. T-shirts and mugs are one way...there are many other creative ways to start the conversation to educate the general public.

We have to speak up...if we want to become visible.
Toothwiz I agree with you on several points, especially maintaining a dialogue and enhancing public awarenes. However I would recommend searching past posts for VTDave. They might have been deleted, the site has been updated a couple of times since. If you do find it, read all threads completely then come back and post your opinion those issues.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
[/quote="rkm rdt, post: 132876, member: 83"]He knows where you live:eek:[/quote]

Same place as AL....666......Lane