NADL News Alert – Proposed Tariffs on Imported Dental Laboratory Restorations:...

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
National Association of Dental Laboratories (NADL)

News Alert – April 9, 2018

Proposed Tariffs on Imported Dental Laboratory Restorations

Preliminary analysis of USTR-2018-0005 applicability to dental laboratories

On April 3, 2018, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) Notice proposed imposing an additional duty of 25 percent on a list of products from China.

Read the notice at: https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/Press/Releases/301FRN.pdf

The notice sets a public comment period through May 11, 2018 and a public hearing is to be held on May 15, 2018.

The products that will be subject to the 25% additional duty are listed using subheadings of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSUS).

The subheadings 90212140 and 90212180 are included in the list of products. (See USTR 2018-0005 at page 54)

Subheadings 90212140 and 90212180 include dentures, crowns, abutments, implants, fixed bridges, temporary inlays, onlays, veneers.

NADL's analysis of applicability to dental laboratory products is based on the outcomes of a prior Tariff Classification Ruling.

That ruling can be viewed at https://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=800171&ac=pr.

If the USTR’s proposal becomes effective, then dentures, crowns, abutments, implants, fixed bridges, temporary inlays, onlays, veneers that come from China will be subject to an additional 25% tariff.

What is the impact on the actual cost of imported restorations, if the tariffs become effective?

If a dental laboratory or other purchasing entity pays $20.00 for a Chinese crown currently, then if the tariff becomes effective they will now pay $25.00.

The duty is levied at the time of import and is paid by the importer of record.

The Tariff is calculated on the transaction value which would typically be the price the importer is paying.

Definition of Transaction Value located at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customs_valuation#Transaction_value

What is the effective date of the Tariff? Could the proposed Tariff be repealed before it goes into effect?

No tariffs take effect until USTR issues a Final Determination. The USTR’s Final Determination could change the amount of the tariff to be charged, or if they are using this as some bargaining chip to reach some another agreement, they could back off of the China tariff entirely.

Since May 22, 2018 is the due date for submission of post-hearing rebuttal comments, presumably USTR would wait until after they reviewed those comments before issuing a Final Determination.

If the USTR does go forward with the China tariff, the USTR’s Final Determination wouldn’t come out till probably June 2018 at the earliest and then may allow some number of days from when the Final Determination is issued before the effective date when any tariffs needs to start being paid. This means any proposed tariffs likely wouldn’t take effect until mid-June or early July.

What is NADL’s position on the proposed tariffs?

NADL’s Board of Directors meets later in April and will be discussing the proposed tariffs. The Board of Directors will determine any position it may take and consider any public comments it may submit for the public comment process at its upcoming Board meeting.

The NADL will continue to release updates to its membership and interested parties based on future USTR actions.

Continue reading...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

This is a start I guess.. Sounds like a direct 25% hit on the importers wallet.. which doesnt sound like a bad thing to me. In fact, if I were an importer that would be terrible news, even if its only $5 on a $20 crown, it adds up and the key to importing is big volume. Labs like DDS must have tight margins as is, this could be a big shakeup, should be interesting. If the insurance companies dont give, and they wont, then this will squeeze those China labs.

I didnt read the whole article, but what about intellectual type goods like CAD designs from China? Or what if it comes through a third party freelance site like dentflow.com ?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

This is a start I guess.. Sounds like a direct 25% hit on the importers wallet.. which doesnt sound like a bad thing to me. In fact, if I were an importer that would be terrible news, even if its only $5 on a $20 crown, it adds up and the key to importing is big volume. Labs like DDS must have tight margins as is, this could be a big shakeup, should be interesting. If the insurance companies dont give, and they wont, then this will squeeze those China labs.

I didnt read the whole article, but what about intellectual type goods like CAD designs from China? Or what if it comes through a third party freelance site like dentflow.com ?
The Fed government is just now becoming lesgislatively aware of the capabilities of the internet to do more than email and buy stocks. I doubt that possiblity ever crossed anyone's mind.

I'm curious what it will do to the machine tools we use, if anything. Stock up?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If I can help it I dont buy anything lab related from China. I tried aidite zirconia, but its not any better or cheaper than anything else.. Ive purchased a few small lab items on ebay from china and they were garbage.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
I'm curious what it will do to the machine tools we use, if anything. Stock up?

They are included in the current list and it covers a wide range of items used by labs. I find it amusing that the NADL decided not to point this out in their release.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Damn these tariffs are on depleted uranium and human blood too!

Top Bottom