My Monolithic LT looks like FCZ

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
More often than not, when I press a posterior monolithic emax crown in LT. The things look like Full Zirconia Crowns.
Where can I find literature on staining LT mono other than Ivoclaire info.
I can do much better.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Yea, I would like to. But would also like to be able to turn the LT out as best as possible. And I am not, I can do better. Just need more ideas, tips, tricks.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score

HTs work well with older pts, but you will run into low value problems using HTs unless you use bleach shades and stain them down, which has issues if it's own.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive been using value ingots for almost everything thats just a basic a2 mono posterior. Easy. If you want to use LT you need to use 2 shades lighter than your final.. then youre just glopping stain on. not a big fan.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Ive been using value ingots for almost everything thats just a basic a2 mono posterior. Easy. If you want to use LT you need to use 2 shades lighter than your final.. then youre just glopping stain on. not a big fan.
Value ingots are Medium Opacity, so yea, i could try that, maybe would be a bit easier recreating the incisal.

C

charles007

Reaction score
My FCZ look like emax LT also.... NOW most of my cheap ass cases are in FCZ :banghead: bad mistake making fcz look nice...

Try using 1 or 2 shades lighter ingot using HT, but only on light to medium shades/posteriors

Maybe I should start using Chinamen zirconia from the 5 so some of my FCZ will crack lol

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Gentlemen, not really doubting your skills, but I'd like to see some photos in situ. The translucency and chemical structure if Zr is so different than tooth structure and emax, that I have to be a doubting Thomas, or I completely suck at staining mono Zr.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
white-teeth1.jpg

C

charles007

Reaction score
Here's the problem. For years now doctors are told emax will not chip, and zirconia will no chip and practically impossible to break. Now lots of doctors want cheap priced crowns that never need replacing so anything goes if the price is right.
fyi..... Translucency, etc. that's extra and not needed in 2014

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Here's the problem. For years now doctors are told emax will not chip, and zirconia will no chip and practically impossible to break. Now lots of doctors want cheap priced crowns that never need replacing so anything goes if the price is right.
fyi..... Translucency, etc. that's extra and not needed in 2014
I totally see your point.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I use LTs almost exclusively...when e.max is prescribed, but they are losing market share because they fall in between the FCZ and my PFZ. Want cheap, tough, etc...that's the Zr, and even though theyre reflective and opaque, with the right touch and materials they can look pretty ok. My PFZ are the same price as my e.max, and theres nearly no issues with stump shades, so now that Doctors are becoming more confident that theyre durable and don't chip, ...there goes my e.max.
As far as getting mono LD to look good, if your Doctor is prescribing the same shade for everyone, don't sweat it. I try to use an ingot that will require the least amount of stain, because stains block light and look like a turd. Its a b!tch that they tend to run low in value. I use the e.max fluoro glaze as a thin starter base to help me apply and see the stain I use, but then everything gets finished with a good helping of InSync glaze. Throw away your e.max blue. Try the Insync side by side with the light blocking e.max blue on your cusp tips and youll see. With everything else, a little goes a long way. make sure you are working under quality light and check your stuff under a variety of different lights. real teeth have some occ. stain or at least a bit of enhanced chroma on the pits, and don't forget some added interprox color at the cervical.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The price of a FCZ is in line with the cost to make one and time it takes.. I can do far more FCZ in a day than emax. Ive posted some FCZ in other threads, they dont look bad. In fact, some look damn good. Ok not as nice as an emax, but Ive had enough crack in half.. This wont really happen with FCZ = peace of mind. Having said that, I make 2x as much on emax.. and I still do a lot of posteriors.

With the HT I have to stain SO little.. and with GC ZR glaze, They glaze in one bake.. Ive found the emax glaze SUCKS. Make a stump and see for yourself, the color comes thru.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I don't even want to get the Drs started on cheap FCZ so I charge a high price for them. If I was hungry for work ???????

I usually do HT for lower posteriors.
Had some darker preps last week so had to use LT.
LT D2

IMG_0239 - Copy.JPG

LT B1

IMG_0240 - Copy.JPG

This was layered on the facial only so occ full contoured and stained.
LT A1

IMG_0261 - Copy.JPG

The FCZ I have made I do NOT try to do a real jam up stain job on them. It takes just as much work as layering would for me to bring them up to emax esthetics.

Top Bottom