Last20070015.jpg

Last20070016.jpg

Last20070019.jpg

Last20070020.jpg

Last20070021.jpg

Last20070010.jpg

Last20070011.jpg

Last20070007.jpg

4 unit Authentic crowns. Model is from i-tero.. so called digital impression technology.. but it cannot show detailed facial texture because the model is "milled" from milling machine.. the only good is accurate margine =) but this is only a beginning of future..:confused:

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Nice Crowns Paul, I noticed you use the itero system. We are going online with that system within a couple weeks. Can you elaborate on any disadvatages/advantages that you have with it? I know you mentioned it doesn't pick up the texture of the existing dentition or teeth is there anything else?

For everyone else, this itero system is the new future of the dental laboratory. It's been out of for approx. 3 years. To give you a brief description (please correct me if i'm wrong),but you have the Dentist that has a super computer with a digital camera. He takes a series of pictures after he is done prepping. This is sent to a milling place (itero) and they will mill the model work out precisely to what the doctor took pictures of. The itero sends you the milled model work out to the specified dental laboratory and the technician completes the work. No need for taking an impression at all, it's all digital. What i've heard, is that the remake percentage is less than 1 percent. The model they send you is very hard plastic so you don't have to fear of abrading a margin or a contact. Also, another advantage is that the doctor will not be able to send it to itero unless the proper prep is achieved. It tells the doctor in the software while taking the pictures if he has reduced enough, axial walls without undercuts, etc.... Sounds like an awesome way to go, I'm interested in what paul says though.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Oh, i forgot, did you all notice how Paul uses a uncut/die-cut model to mount his cases to? ALWAYS use a solid/tissue model to place your anterior crowns on before you send them out to the doctor. Tons of technicians don't do this and get into big trouble with emergence profile, crowns don't fit because tissue was impeading, contacts abraded. By pouring up a solid model and fitting the crowns/veneers on before glazing it will save you and the Doctor a lot of headache in the future. Hope this helps.

L

labdude

Reaction score
This type of thing is being done in Orthodontics. A scan is used to make custom models, then custom arch wires with a robotic arm. Photo records are then created.

SmileBaker

SmileBaker

Reaction score
we started using Itero system about 1-2 month ago.. but recently we are not happy with what Itreo guys said.. When they first introduced that scanner, they said it's only 25$ per a model... but it's not. they charge additional 20 bucks for dentists.. so it is 45$ model work.. insane.. Jimmy(my boss) was so mad when he heard that..
and also what I don't like is they sent model with wrong bite several times.. so do not trust machine too much.. check every case before you started. The surface is still too rough.. they said it will be improved in the future.. but I'm still not happy with their surface even fuctional surface.. However, the margins are damn precise.. I compared the margins and adaptaion with a die which was poured with traditional method.. itero's model was more precise. and as TheLabGuy said it's made of very hard plastic but it's carvable.. it's made of polyurethan.(is my spell correct? )
anyway if the price is more reasonable with better surface, it's a good choice. the price of the machine is not that expensive compared with cerec 3d and another competitor 3M's comming intraoral scanner.. the price of itero scanner is 18,000$.. other brande is like between 30-40 grands.. I will upload picture about this machine next time.. but if you want a peek, visit my Korean blog below and click "photo" then goto "Dental lab related" section.. the first article is about i-tero system.. but I guess you guys cannot read Korean.. so I'm going to translate that article here soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom