My First Time...in Pics

user name

user name

Reaction score
I thought metal was in my past. Dr wanted a crown with some type of attachment for a partial. I was hoping I could just do FCZ, but this particular Dr seems to have some issues keeping them in the mouth, so the better bond (as the Dr sees it) would be metal, and after consulting with our Great Leader @JMN, I was convinced a ball type was in order. Ive done dovetails but never in 40 years have I done a ball. I wasnt sure what to use or even how to place it. I must admit, it was kinda fun doing ONE of these antique old things, but Ill be happy to never do PFM again.
Thanks JMN for the time and education.
20200711_145148.jpg 20200711_145116.jpg
Rex III and Ivoclar InLine

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I thought metal was in my past. Dr wanted a crown with some type of attachment for a partial. I was hoping I could just do FCZ, but this particular Dr seems to have some issues keeping them in the mouth, so the better bond (as the Dr sees it) would be metal, and after consulting with our Great Leader @JMN, I was convinced a ball type was in order. Ive done dovetails but never in 40 years have I done a ball. I wasnt sure what to use or even how to place it. I must admit, it was kinda fun doing ONE of these antique old things, but Ill be happy to never do PFM again.
Thanks JMN for the time and education.
View attachment 36250 View attachment 36252
Rex III and Ivoclar InLine
Dude, you did the work. I just let you know there was new and nifty available.

And preety! Shiiiiney!

Edit: great leader?? You been smoking the curtains again?

Edit again: You just know he's gonna call and say he meant c2 instead of a2.

Last edited:
Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
An ERA attachment on both quadrants from Stern gold would be another choice

Last edited:
Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
You might want to consider cutting a cingulum rest on the crown if thickness allows. Otherwise all the force is on the attachment and might lead to premature failure of the attachment system

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nice of him to give you a quad for this.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Even though it was a quadrant, did he need a full arch as the main concern was the attachment in relation to the ridge? If it was a more involved design, a full arch would have been better for sure. Or am I off base on this?
The engaging seat of an inverted V cingulum rest may have been nice to help absorb some of the occlusal forces, as Jo mentioned.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Even though it was a quadrant, did he need a full arch as the main concern was the attachment in relation to the ridge? If it was a more involved design, a full arch would have been better for sure. Or am I off base on this?
The engaging seat of an inverted V cingulum rest may have been nice to help absorb some of the occlusal forces, as Jo mentioned.
You can get away with a ball attachment using a quad but he didn't capture the other canine which becomes somewhat critical when doing anteriors.
Does this omission affect the attachment? Probably not but we don't know for sure. I'm not a fan of guessing on combo cases.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Agree, it couldn't hurt to have had a full arch imp. to have seen what the other cuspid looked like as far as length, labial position, to have both working balancing sides, would have been helpful. Good point, rkm.

Last edited:
CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten multi-unit cases, 3-unit bridges, implant cases, you name it on quadrant impressions, I’ve tried to explain when they are okay and when they aren’t. Unfortunately it usually works and my pleas are for naught.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Folks, blame me for the cingulum rest question. For never doing one, he did great.

Doc didn't give him any more than "Fab crown on #6 with a semi-precision attachment for future RPD"

user name

user name

Reaction score
Folks, blame me for the cingulum rest question. For never doing one, he did great.

Doc didn't give him any more than "Fab crown on #6 with a semi-precision attachment for future RPD"
dammit. I need to run out and show the Dr and ask if he wants a cingulum rest added...?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I’d cut one in if there’s room, they can choose to use it or not. If there isn’t room then I’d just deliver what you’ve got.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
dammit. I need to run out and show the Dr and ask if he wants a cingulum rest added...?
again, the pud frame design should have been indicated by the dr along with the fricken study models that show the full arch. Maybe there's a cingulum rest on the other canine? Not your fault if you omit the rest at this point.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I just got back from the office. Ill cut in a rest.

Top Bottom