Music in the Lab

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I really don't like music playing in the lab, and it only causes disagreements, so people wear headphones and listen to anything they like. If I AM in the mood for something, I prefer to have the artist in live ;)

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_Mark_Snoop.jpg

Me and Snoop Dog, on the morning of the Michael Jackson Memorial Service.

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
that must be your son in the avatar, you've aged quickly old fella :D
ps. was he 'snoopin'
pps. scientist are convinced that background music is good for your pets and is quite soothing. :)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That's awesome!

[YOUTUBE]CFu50SyEGE8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Nh9mVsBKwYs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
hi there in the uk we have the bbc and via my digital radio or even via internet (bbc website) i listen to bbc radio 6 music , they play the best rock pop punk indie new wave folk electro from the 60s to now, old john peel sessions, artists from zappa to nick drake tom waits to the fall, no commercial junk. Find a new favourate band everyday, love it, makes paying our bbc licence fee worth while

cracking station :cool: , took a while to get the feel of what's on where and when. Good to hear the interviews and discussion, and to hear album tracks, live stuff and acoustic. Very refreshing. I like to hear new stuff as much as old stuff, and the tracks the other stations just leave out for whatever reason.

good ol' siouxsie
[YOUTUBE]FBm-m67d3Bg[/YOUTUBE]

and John
[YOUTUBE]jPj-8_wOZcA[/YOUTUBE]
:cool:

Last edited:
C

CShof

Reaction score
Found a denture song.
[YOUTUBE]J-x0VeZdR9s[/YOUTUBE]

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Couldn't make it past 0:50. Terrible song in the morning! LOL:)

[YOUTUBE]cJzV0_SaV-k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]z5U9QRiY46I[/YOUTUBE]

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
for the SoCal folk

[YOUTUBE]u25Zp2rJhy0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
H

Hal2a

Reaction score
I really don't like music playing in the lab, and it only causes disagreements, so people wear headphones and listen to anything they like. If I AM in the mood for something, I prefer to have the artist in live ;)

Me and Snoop Dog, on the morning of the Michael Jackson Memorial Service.

I had heard years ago that there was a 6th Jackson, with a congenital skin defect and born with no rhythm. Wow I had no idea !!!!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Grandpa shredding some HEAVY METAL!!:D

[YOUTUBE]r4LbCLFUndg[/YOUTUBE]

Obey your GRANDPA, GRANDPA!!

[YOUTUBE]ukR2M9kTlaQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]qKgjHAWF8yA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
JonB

JonB

Reaction score
I read an article a while back concerning playing music in a photo studio needing to be licensed through BMI or ASCAP. Similar to the licensing that churches have to pay to use choir music that is still under copyright, or even the music played on the radio that stations have to pay a royalty on, there is a royalty due the artist when their music is played in a commercial setting. That would include any business where CDs, DVDs, broadcast or cable/satelite Radio and TV are available as "background" entertainment.
The license isn't terribly expensive - but they do have a track record of looking for abusers and getting judgments against them. Think of them as the FDA for the ears.

Here is an article from the Professional Photographers of America private website (of which I am a member),siting a program with XM Satellite where the royalty fees are covered under a program administered through PPA.

In-Studio Radio

XM for Business
Rock your customers, crank up your brand, and turn your business ON with XM for Business. With this new service, you can set the tone of your studio by tuning into one of over 170 different satellite radio channels. Plus, you’ll take the worry out of renewing your ASCAP, BMI and SESAC licenses for playing background music in your studio space. Let XM for Business pay the fees for you!

PPA members will have the Activation Fee waived (a $14.95 value) and will receive a discounted rate of $27.95 per month. If you decide to pre-pay for a full year of use, you’ll even receive a one-month discount!

If you already have an XM radio system in your studio, you only need to upgrade your existing contract to the PPA XM for Business plan. If you’re purchasing XM for the first time, PPA has arranged for discounted system packages.

For more information on XM for Business rates and XM kits, click here or call 1-866-596-7045.

I remember talking to a music industry insider saying the guy who wrote the song "Dust In The Wind" - Kansas, Kerry Livgren doesn't even have to get out of bed to make several thousand dollars a day - just off of radio airplay alone. The song is one of the most played songs in the world. They take this money seriously.

Maybe the NADL could actually provide a benefit to membership with a similar blanket license deal for member labs.

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
it's that time of year :)
[YOUTUBE]NoKn7vkSMBc[/YOUTUBE]

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Jon, We log-in to Sirius or XM online and pump it around the lab all the time.

One subscription is good enough. No way I'm paying a penny more, and I don't feel guilty for sharing the tunes. Remember, we do not have a lab full of customers.

It's not a resturant or Hotel where we are using the music/programing to entertain paying customers. I sure don't make any money off of it. In your photo shop, is the music for customers in the waiting area or something? Then, I'd say you have a different senerio than all of us labs. Right? I'm not Rocking Customers.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
I believe its "any commercial use" but it would be best to call ASCAP or BMI and get their take on it. Never just take my word for it.

doug

doug

Reaction score
There is an additional fee on my XM/Sirius account every year for "Rights." Since I pay for the right to use it, I'll put up speakers everywhere I want and blast it. I prefer talk radio in the lab so it doesn't matter.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
HEY,
Do it NOW........

Yeah heah. Uh

[YOUTUBE]MDZsNksbw2Q[/YOUTUBE]

This song has the word as5 in it. You may be offended?
Great two part harmony! Catchy tune.

[YOUTUBE]YuQkU1cW4_Q[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]eIInySnQe4I[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
bad news

[YOUTUBE]K5vP7csD2nU[/YOUTUBE]

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
There is an additional fee on my XM/Sirius account every year for "Rights." Since I pay for the right to use it, I'll put up speakers everywhere I want and blast it. I prefer talk radio in the lab so it doesn't matter.

I think that fee covers it - its minimal in the long run and only fair to the artists. It would be nice if dental technicians could get a residual every time a patient chews on something!:D

Top Bottom