Multiple impressions for the same jaw/job [exocad]

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here.

I'm new to exocad and slowly finding my way around it.
I just got a new job, but the dentist provided two different impressions for the job.
I asked my retailer (also exocad support),and said it wasn't possible to merge two scans like that and I should treat them like two jobs (it's going to be laser sintered) and then join the two restorations.
Now, a quick google search told me that of course its possible to do such thing, but I cannot find a proper tutorial/explaination.
Exocad has a video on how to import an extra scan into a job, mentions that it's a similar technique for when a dentist has provided two impressions for the same job and there would be another video on it. But there isn't.

So, I'm asking you. Is there a reliably accurate way to do such thing?
For reference, I'm using a Smart Optics Vinyl and exocad. The job is a 44-47 bridge where the molar (47) is in a different impression as the 1st one didn't come out good enough.

Thanks in advance :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hello, newbie here.

I'm new to exocad and slowly finding my way around it.
I just got a new job, but the dentist provided two different impressions for the job.
I asked my retailer (also exocad support),and said it wasn't possible to merge two scans like that and I should treat them like two jobs (it's going to be laser sintered) and then join the two restorations.
Now, a quick google search told me that of course its possible to do such thing, but I cannot find a proper tutorial/explaination.
Exocad has a video on how to import an extra scan into a job, mentions that it's a similar technique for when a dentist has provided two impressions for the same job and there would be another video on it. But there isn't.

So, I'm asking you. Is there a reliably accurate way to do such thing?
For reference, I'm using a Smart Optics Vinyl and exocad. The job is a 44-47 bridge where the molar (47) is in a different impression as the 1st one didn't come out good enough.

Thanks in advance :)
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

I don't recall ever hearing anyone discuss this before and am interested in the answer too.
The exocad geniuses will be around soon. As long as someone remembered to set their coffee pot.

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
I did manage to find some more videos on the subject, I'll just post them here so if anyone has the same problem can see them.
This is from exocad:
And this is from Amann Girrbach: (exactly the same software as Exocad, don't let the colours fool you)

I'll do some experiments myself, but if anybody has any info to add, you are more than welcome! :)

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
In the newer versions of Exocad, there is the option to add an "extra muti-die scan" (poured single check die from another impression.)

Set up a separate multi-die job and scan your check dies. Then in your original job, switch to expert mode, tools> add or remove mesh>extra multi-die scan. navigate to the folder with scanned dies and pick the one you want and load it in...Then you just align it with that die position on the original jaw scan. You can do this with as many dies that you want to bring in. ( doing each one separately) Switch back to wizard..

Last edited:
apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
Thanks @LarryRDC, I assume this is the same technique that is shown on the video I posted above.
I did some testing, alignment can be a bit of a pain some times. I did a test job and sent it for laser sintering. Worst case scenario we'll cut it and join it the old school way.

user name

user name

Reaction score
On cases like this where two impressions are needed to capture both dies well, pour both models. Cut and trim your dies. Scan the model you like best, but do the dies on the die plate, using the best dies from each model. They should merge on the master scan well. The trick is to cut away most of the trimmed die scans so theres less data for exo to mesh, and possibly get confused by. You just want it to be working with the die and ditch, not all the trimmed stuff below the ditch. Very simple.

You can also do as @LarryRDC said. There many ways to do things in exo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom