Multiple Digital Impression Portals

Herme

Herme

Reaction score
Now that digital impressions has skyrocketed, I'm finding that keeping track of 65 impressions a day from 6 different portals is getting overwhelming at our lab.
Does anyone have any advice on how to effectively juggle this many avenues of input from the doctors?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Now that digital impressions has skyrocketed, I'm finding that keeping track of 65 impressions a day from 6 different portals is getting overwhelming at our lab.
Does anyone have any advice on how to effectively juggle this many avenues of input from the doctors?
Since almost all the portals notify you of a new scan via email, i'd make sure I had the same email address for each one and only use that email addy for scans. That way it appears as a list for you each day. At least that's the way we do it, I'm curious to hear others suggestions.

Herme

Herme

Reaction score
Since almost all the portals notify you of a new scan via email, i'd make sure I had the same email address for each one and only use that email addy for scans. That way it appears as a list for you each day. At least that's the way we do it, I'm curious to hear others suggestions.
Thank you Lab guy! All of them do have email prompts, apart from Itero. (They always have to do things differently) I guess I could create a filter in gmail to redirect all the emails into one folder so I can address them chronologically.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
I have developed a lab management software that is soon to be released... (in the next few weeks) and this is one of our features. Attachments can be added to the in app lab form and this will include additional notes, pictures and even scan files! this way all of the relevant case information is neatly accessible where it makes most sense.
I will send some links when we are ready for launch, otherwise please feel free to PM me for more details

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
The difficult part is that all have their own interface of some sort. Itero has their own manager to process their files for Exo, 3shape etc. Care stream has a web portal, medit has medit link, a desktop app portal, cerec, ddx, 3shape communicate & 3M is by far the worst, then email and drop box. I feel your pain, i'm always wonder if a doc sent me something via drop box and didn't notify me that he did and it sit untouched for 7 days until they call looking for the case.

one way is to only except a few and turn away others. You can only do so much and keep track of so much. If the doctor only does minimal amount of work and gets a IO scanner you never received files from may tell him you don't work with that scanner. Turning work away is never good but with digital it can run out of control really fast.

But i print the RX's from each portal to have entered in labnet with the analog cases. And if sent via email all the infor is in there i print the email. For drop box files i have the docs write up a word doc as an rx and i print that. Sucks cause there is no universal way but this seems to work for me.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
We get files from multiple portals and from office specific emails and we found a decent strategy to help keep everything organized and to not miss things.

We forward all client emails/portal notifications (For iTero i believe there is an option to enable email notifications) to a specific folder in our email.
Then once any email or notification is worked on (We start by printing prescriptions and booking them in) we use the outlook categories to mark the emails with the completed task (Printed, working on, finished... etc) so we have a color coordinated email system so that at a glance you can see the status of any given case.

Once any case is finished we move it to an archived folder to keep the main folder clean and organized.

We receive at any where from 50-60 emails from either notifications or direct emails from clients going into this folder each day, with multiple people accessing it at any given time so we learned early on that organization was the priority so that requests aren't overlooked. And this has been working great so far.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We get files from multiple portals and from office specific emails and we found a decent strategy to help keep everything organized and to not miss things.

We forward all client emails/portal notifications (For iTero i believe there is an option to enable email notifications) to a specific folder in our email.
Then once any email or notification is worked on (We start by printing prescriptions and booking them in) we use the outlook categories to mark the emails with the completed task (Printed, working on, finished... etc) so we have a color coordinated email system so that at a glance you can see the status of any given case.

Once any case is finished we move it to an archived folder to keep the main folder clean and organized.

We receive at any where from 50-60 emails from either notifications or direct emails from clients going into this folder each day, with multiple people accessing it at any given time so we learned early on that organization was the priority so that requests aren't overlooked. And this has been working great so far.
How long did it take to get everyone trained into always doing the code update when dictated by each step?

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score

I have actually been developing my own software, working with a development team for a few years now. I have essentially tried to seek out and overcome a few of the common shortcomings of some of the existing software options out there on the market and we've attempted to create a workflow management system rather than just a lab management system... even though it will essentially be a lab management software too! In my app we have accommodated a clinic user subscription too, so that clinics and labs can connect. Clinics have and will always generate the jobs, so it made sense to me to create a clinic user account so that jobs can be created and sent through the system by them. The app has a generic job form so orders can be filled out and attachments in the form of notes, pictures or even IOS files can be dragged and dropped or added to the actual job form in the system.
All the clinicians need to do is create a desktop destination folder for scan files and drag and drop into the attachment box on the app job form... very simple, very quick! no more portals or inboxes or emails or dropbox links! scans are stored in the system on the case job sheet! makes life a whole lot simpler!!

My software is in the very final stages of development and will be released in the next few weeks... watch this space!

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
How long did it take to get everyone trained into always doing the code update when dictated by each step?

At first it was easy since it was only me and using a self developed system was a lot easier to implement (This was adjusted over a few years as we ran into problems). Once we started bringing in more people we just trained them into using it so that it becomes second nature. Now this takes a few weeks to iron out so i watch anyone who starts out but within a few weeks their fully used to it and good to go.

Granted no system is perfect and we have a fair share of mistakes but we can quickly identify where the issue happened because it will be a missed code on the email and we also know where to start looking for the resolution or identifying where the case it (Booked in, in process, exported, printed, or finished).

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Sevan, you can also create a writable PDF with areas that can be clicked on and filled out (like the comment box here on DLN),and drop down menus like for which type of restoration, preferred occlusion type, material, etc. With that the doctor wont have to type as much, and you can have your logo on the top. Also helps since after they send it to you, you can just print the thing and make it look exactly like your current prescription.

Only drawback would be the initial design cost of it, unless you know a graphic designer. Could be a couple hundred + if they have to design a layout as well. Might be worth the investment though.

For the portals, definitely have an separate email for it all to funnel into. Even with dropbox you can "request" files, which gives the doctor a simple link to click and drop files into instead of opening dropbox. Another alternative is if they download the desktop dropbox, you can grant them access to their own "dr" file, and then it would show up as a folder on their computer that would get synced. With Exocad you can then set it to watch the synced dropbox folder on your PC, and if it's a compatible exported project type, auto import into your database. not sure how 3shape handles this, but I'm certain there could be some way to mimic the behavior. Just be careful with folder permissions and make sure each doctor can only see their folder for compliance reasons. I'm sure Sharefile has a similar function, if you prefer that.

- Josh

Top Bottom