Model duplication?

S

samtoast

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,
Do you ever duplicate models for appliance fabrication or simply duplicating models for ABO (or for any other reason)?
If you do, could you please comment on your preferred way of duplicating models?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I do for diagnostic and anatomical wax-ups. Especially when the Dentist only sends me the model and not the impression. If it is being used clinically, I'll mix up some lab putty followed up with polyvinyl impression material. If it's just a model to be used for presentation purposes then I'll just take and alginate and roll with that.....If you have a hydrocolloid machine, I've used that before too.....

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
I would use the Bio-star and duplicate the model (positive)with a pre fab sheet (don't recall the exact name of the material) but you could find out pretty easy. Then I would pour up the new impression(negative) and end up with a dup

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I make a duplicate for all splints and RPD's. I use the 1:1 silicone. To lessen the cost, I get the 1cup(230ml) size ziplock bowls, I wax the model down to the inverted inside of the lid, cut out a good sized opening in the bottom of the container, snap it on and voila! a cheap duplicating flask. I you have a good supply rep, yo can get the price point of the silicone down quite a bit (I get mine for almost 1/2 off). Works great, its fast, its accurate. Currently it costs me $6 in material to duplicate, I charge $11.

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
I use similar technique to kcdt, i do a lot of duplications so to keep costs down further you can chop up your old silicone into small pieces and add this in with the new as you pour.

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
yes, all of the ablove except for silicone.

Fastest way for me? alginate

H

HDL Owner

Reaction score
Poly Flex works fine for study model reproduction however never found it good enough for processing models, open bites and incisal edge lengthing. would love to find a good inexpensive duplicating material!

S

Sp00n

Reaction score
microwaveable hydrocolloid..
does the job. never had much of a problem with it

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
put the model in a vac chamber for about a minute or two filled with a very light soapy water solution. for the soap i like to use a drop of dish soap, doesn't matter which one. for the vac chamber grab a foodsaver quick marinator on ebay or amazon. for the vac source use your vac stone mixer with an extension hose or use a c&b vac.

remove the model from the vac chamber, blow it off lightly then use a good medium set alginate. with your spatula push the alginate around the model teeth and any undercuts first, then quickly fill a properly fitting impression tray. (pre fit to the model) then put the two together.

the vac chamber will quickly and thoroughly hydrate any model, even one that has been sitting around for weeks. combine that with the light soapy water solution and the alginate will not stick to the model. you wont get the drag marks when you separate the two. i dup every stayplate and some repairs, as far as cost, time and effort vs results.. i havent found a better way.

good luck, lots of other good ideas here. let us know how it goes.

ps. hey Smilewire ;) thank you so much for the pans you gave me. they worked out perfect.

Last edited:
dentalartslab

dentalartslab

Reaction score
Good Topic...

Nice Job DentureDude! That is a great idea I want to try this for a refactory die system. THe beauty part is that if it works you're doubling production in setting time for Alginate vs Poly flex type, and if you aren't happy with your die...do it again in no time, respectively.

Plus, it always seems like such a waste to polymerize this stuff and then throw it away (or waste even more time trying to breakdown and recycle it).

Last edited:
J

Jmichael

Reaction score
Wirosil duplicating silicone for me. Pricey, but very nice. The silicone moulds can be repoured also, I often find that handy.