Model build software .STL input

• Thread starter Michel van Raaij
  • Start date
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I do love reading and learning here on DLN. I will try and give an honest answer.
I don't know how we can connect like-minded lab techs and dentists. I would think that a show like the Chicago Midwinter could be a place that could happen. A planned event to get like minded teams together.
What makes a great lab tech, at least in my view, is a team-mate to serve the patient. My patients (mostly cosmetic) don't get a chance to meet the lab tech - so communicating the patient's desired outcome is the key. I used to video my patients talking about their cases.

Over the past year I have read, here on DLN, the many complaints about dentists. Some resentment, anger and lots of mistrust. I would guess that most is well founded.
Lots of dentists can be terrible - and I certainly don't blame anyone here for those opinions.
We dentists get stuck between our patients and our lab techs - not a happy place. I guess the main complaint I have is that some lab techs don't want collaboration - they just want to be trusted to do what they know. I haven't found success in that system. Patients, dentists and lab techs all need a voice in these cases.

I had the same lab tech from 1990-2014 (retired). Just a great friendship and team. Lots of beautiful cases.
The more I read here on DLN, the more I know it's about getting like-minded people (teams) together.
I wish I had some answers, but I don't. Trial and error hasn't been working either.
I give my personal cell phone number to every doctor, every office. I tell them I'm always available if they have any questions, ideas, or issues that they are not just welcome to call, but that I will be pleased to hear from them anything I can do to make their patients leave faster and happier.
Guess how many calls I've gotten. Exactly one. The joke goes that we think this would be a great gig if it weren't for the dentists, and they think it'd be great if it weren't for the patients.

We're usually looking for a good relationship with the licensees too, but you can't pick who's willing to work with you, just who you're willing to accept work from.

Last edited:
G

grantoz

Reaction score
The other side of the positive attitude by[ greg lutke ],. Is an example of what i just went thru with a client with their 1st asc abutment where they didnt know that they needed a special screw driver.so i get them one from biocare and send them our loaner biocare electric torque wrench the screw driver was in the pack brand new with a big note attached all free of charge .i sent this before xmas i get a phone call last week with a bit of attitude saying doesnt work what have you done etc etc.i take the torque driver out of the case and guess what there is the note and driver untouched in the box "f me" how we dont go postal worker every now and then is beyond me.Then i ring the dentist saying good news i have solved the problem and what has happened etc and that i will come out to their practice to help them save face and so on .Her response was that wasnt in there when she looked so now she is calling me a liar .this is unfortunately not an uncommon attitude dentist have towards us which i feel is getting worse so i really appreciate the posts from the dentists in particular Greg Lukte in this thread and hope it infects the others with a team thinking..

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This Christmas I contacted some local drs offering a free crown to any patient who needed but couldn't afford it.
Only one office took me up on the offer but I never spoke directly with the dr.
Instead I only heard from the receptionist asking how fast I could do this.

The crown was sent but I have yet to hear back from them .
A thank you would be nice but at least I can assume that I helped someone out over the holidays.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I see a lot of dentists are doing this on FB, using mesh mixer or others to manipulate teeth and do their own waxups.. only the beginning.. of the end..

With all due respect, No. The beginning of the end will be I/O scans sent direct to the manufacturers of the I/O equipment and no human touches the crown until the patient's mouth does at seating. They will look like crap for a while, then over a few years evolve to look as good as GW or other megalabs produce, but for half the cost. I'm not suggesting they will look good, just good enough for the "it's just a posterior- no one can see it anyway" crowd.

I do love reading and learning here on DLN. I will try and give an honest answer.
I don't know how we can connect like-minded lab techs and dentists. I would think that a show like the Chicago Midwinter could be a place that could happen. A planned event to get like minded teams together.
What makes a great lab tech, at least in my view, is a team-mate to serve the patient. My patients (mostly cosmetic) don't get a chance to meet the lab tech - so communicating the patient's desired outcome is the key. I used to video my patients talking about their cases.

Over the past year I have read, here on DLN, the many complaints about dentists. Some resentment, anger and lots of mistrust. I would guess that most is well founded.
Lots of dentists can be terrible - and I certainly don't blame anyone here for those opinions.
We dentists get stuck between our patients and our lab techs - not a happy place. I guess the main complaint I have is that some lab techs don't want collaboration - they just want to be trusted to do what they know. I haven't found success in that system. Patients, dentists and lab techs all need a voice in these cases.

I had the same lab tech from 1990-2014 (retired). Just a great friendship and team. Lots of beautiful cases.
The more I read here on DLN, the more I know it's about getting like-minded people (teams) together.
I wish I had some answers, but I don't. Trial and error hasn't been working either.

I've always wondered why dentists don't hire a lab with similar methods and the same diligence with which they hire office staff. Whether anyone likes it or not, they become part of your office and can make you look good or terrible by the way they work for you, even if no one sees them. IMHO the character of "lab guy/gal" is more important than the "best" price/options/esthetics because who they are dictates how they meet your needs. There are dentists that I've visited in hopes of getting work that after leaving their office I neither want their work nor would use them for my dental needs, nor recommend them to friends because of who they seem to be when we talk.

Top Bottom