Miyo unreliability, acrylic shades issue....

B

Beginner

Reaction score
Hi. I've been having a constant problem matching regular pink acrylic (Ivoclar G1) using Miyo. I've tried using 50% Garnet and 50% Flamingo but the color comes out too yellow. I've tried calling Miyo to ask for help but they couldn't help me much. I'm tired of trying, making formulas. It's very frustrating that Miyo doesn't have a shade guide the dentist and the lab can use. This makes it unreliable. Let's say a dentist changes from a lab that use MIyo to another lab that use Miyo, they may get different results....Any insights? Thank you!

I'd rather not change my coloring system, but if it comes to losing a client or changing I will have to.

doug

doug

Reaction score
There are courses you can tale to improve your ability to use MIYO. I expect that two different technicians using the same product are going to always have a different result. They call shade guides, guides, for just that reason, they are guides. Don't give up on the MIYO,

B

Beginner

Reaction score
There are courses you can tale to improve your ability to use MIYO. I expect that two different technicians using the same product are going to always have a different result. They call shade guides, guides, for just that reason, they are guides. Don't give up on the MIYO,
Thanks for the reply. But the fact they don't have a shade guide with a color x and the jar with color x makes it complicated and unreliable. I shouldn't be taking a course to match a color x I should be using the x color from the jar.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Do you have access to Jensens MiYO library of videos, when you buy a kit?
edit: there is a learning curve to these things, no matter what the jar may say and with someone else's (Ivoclar's) shade guide.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i agree there should be a shade guide. their paper one doesnt match AT ALL what the colors are.

however....

think solutions! you have the materials. make a shade guide. doesnt need to be super fancy, just needs to get you the info that you require to do a superb job!

B

Beginner

Reaction score
I do have access, watched some videos, and tried different shades
i agree there should be a shade guide. their paper one doesnt match AT ALL what the colors are.

however....

think solutions! you have the materials. make a shade guide. doesnt need to be super fancy, just needs to get you the info that you require to do a superb job!
Yes! I've thought about it and working on a shade guide. But that doesn't solve the issue I can't match the specific shade.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
This is some of the info that we were taught in the Air Force lab and I'm trying to do this from memory so take this with a grain of salt. MiYo, like stains are meant to be a subtractive color system, not additive. What does that mean? You use complimentary colors to neutralize colors that you don't want in a subtractive color system, this leaves the desired color highlighted. In an additive color system you add the color that you need to attain the desired result, this will move the colors toward black or dark.
In the case with too much yellow, a small amount of violet would neutralize the yellow cast leaving other colors that can be either accentuated or muted.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I do have access, watched some videos, and tried different shades

Yes! I've thought about it and working on a shade guide. But that doesn't solve the issue I can't match the specific shade.
are you new at dental technology?
us techs are magical wizards. matching something with the wave of our wands is what we do. i had a 40+yr old denture in here with god knows what shade/brand teeth that we had to match for a repair. i mean, it didnt match at all, but we gave it our best effort!

sometimes there are formulas we can utilize to help create a 'better' match, sometimes we just have to do the best we can with the tools we have. doing what youve been doing will produce the best results. its all trial and error, emphasis on the error since thats where we do the real learning.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
are you new at dental technology?
us techs are magical wizards. matching something with the wave of our wands is what we do. i had a 40+yr old denture in here with god knows what shade/brand teeth that we had to match for a repair. i mean, it didnt match at all, but we gave it our best effort!

sometimes there are formulas we can utilize to help create a 'better' match, sometimes we just have to do the best we can with the tools we have. doing what youve been doing will produce the best results. its all trial and error, emphasis on the error since thats where we do the real learning.
40 yr old denture with off dirty stained teeth calls for optiglaze. I can normally get it un-noticeable-ish...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
40 yr old denture with off dirty stained teeth calls for optiglaze. I can normally get it un-noticeable-ish...
only if they are willing to pay for that!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. But the fact they don't have a shade guide with a color x and the jar with color x makes it complicated and unreliable. I shouldn't be taking a course to match a color x I should be using the x color from the jar.
Take the outside curve of a used Zr puck and sinter it. Then put a dot of each MIYO jar content( on its outside rim) in same order as your kit and then fire it. Bingo shade guide of the material. Also there's a Midnight Trans shade that would easily negate too much yellow in your shading.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
...It's very frustrating that Miyo doesn't have a shade guide the dentist and the lab can use.
I'd suggest making your own guides. Use the core product (zr, emax, whatever) and overlay it with the Miyo shades you can predictably deliver. Give a numbered set to your account(s),keep one. A lot of work up front, saves errors on the back side. Good luck.

Last edited:
Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
This is some of the info that we were taught in the Air Force lab and I'm trying to do this from memory so take this with a grain of salt. MiYo, like stains are meant to be a subtractive color system, not additive. What does that mean? You use complimentary colors to neutralize colors that you don't want in a subtractive color system, this leaves the desired color highlighted. In an additive color system you add the color that you need to attain the desired result, this will move the colors toward black or dark.
In the case with too much yellow, a small amount of violet would neutralize the yellow cast leaving other colors that can be either accentuated or muted.
Exactly and should be remembered! Additive red plus green plus blue equals White. Subtractive red plus blue plus yellow equals Black. Always good to reaffirm to this in your head. Anytime we add color(other than yellow) we drop value accordingly. So, if you start with an A2 ish shade and start adding a bunch of color you will drive it to an A3 or beyond value in a heartbeat. Yellow is the only color in the subtractive color system ( Dr. Jack Preston, editor of "Theory and Practice of Ceramic Principles )that can raise value but often doesn't coincide with a desired shade outcome. You can however add a pinch of yellow to a whiteish product to get some good results upping the value on shade changes. " It's a bit too dark" situations. I've had great success using LuminPlus Miyo with a hint of yellow added to raise value when needed.
Miyo, in my mind has been The Greatest Release to Freedom so far in this industry.
This is from a guy(me) who started in ceramics in the 80's till today and still going full out. When I think back in timeline it scares the s$it out of me. Don't think Dental Tech's don't suffer from PTSD because I have. Miyo deleted that, Period!
Just to be clear, this is my opinion and not an ad for Miyo, it simply makes my life So Much Better.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Exactly and should be remembered! Additive red plus green plus blue equals White. Subtractive red plus blue plus yellow equals Black. Always good to reaffirm to this in your head. Anytime we add color(other than yellow) we drop value accordingly. So, if you start with an A2 ish shade and start adding a bunch of color you will drive it to an A3 or beyond value in a heartbeat. Yellow is the only color in the subtractive color system ( Dr. Jack Preston, editor of "Theory and Practice of Ceramic Principles )that can raise value but often doesn't coincide with a desired shade outcome. You can however add a pinch of yellow to a whiteish product to get some good results upping the value on shade changes. " It's a bit too dark" situations. I've had great success using LuminPlus Miyo with a hint of yellow added to raise value when needed.
Miyo, in my mind has been The Greatest Release to Freedom so far in this industry.
This is from a guy(me) who started in ceramics in the 80's till today and still going full out. When I think back in timeline it scares the s$it out of me. Don't think Dental Tech's don't suffer from PTSD because I have. Miyo deleted that, Period!
Just to be clear, this is my opinion and not an ad for Miyo, it simply makes my life So Much Better.
Now take a look at this excellent and informative reply.

Next time some Dentist asks you to match some $99 mailer, put him on the get rid of list.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Now take a look at this excellent and informative reply.

Next time some Dentist asks you to match some $99 mailer, put him on the get rid of list.
gold star for you both!

Top Bottom