Miyo tricks/ tips

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Just attempted my first MIYO crown today on a central and after 3 goes, I achieved a reasonably good result. Incisal application being the hardest for me.
Does anyone have any tricks or tips they might share from their experience?.
I also lightened a pfm just to see how it would go....seem to Work well.
Thanks...jeff

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Im not following their technique. I use it just like my other stains. I even use my InSync and stuff from Ivoclar to tweek the colors. Im starting with really nice looking Zr.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Im not following their technique. I use it just like my other stains. I even use my InSync and stuff from Ivoclar to tweek the colors. Im starting with really nice looking Zr.
The new multi zircs don't leave a hell of lot to be done with them now. They look so good out of the furnace. Certainly nice material though.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
What's your go to Multi Layer zirconia?

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi Simorty.
Using a combination of ivoclar zircad MT and aidite 3D.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Post a pic and lets start from there.
Don't bother mixing the whole jar,just a small dab and control the viscosity with glaze liquid.
Add storm or smoke or both first, fire, then go back with your shade and glaze.
Keep experimenting.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I don’t understand the confusion because when you buy the MIYO system you’re automatically enlisted with Jensen dental to watch all the MIYO videos by the inventors of the system to show you the technique of use. And registration of webinars to watch and Q/A conducted by Jensen run expert techs.

K

KIM

Reaction score
Post a pic and lets start from there.
Don't bother mixing the whole jar,just a small dab and control the viscosity with glaze liquid.
Add storm or smoke or both first, fire, then go back with your shade and glaze.
Keep experimenting.
I love seeing the discussion about MiYO!
MiYO does stand for "Make it Your Own" BUT I will also say there are few very critical factors to insure you get the results we say you should get, so Rob I just want to elaborate on a couple of those critical things that will affect the result, more for the new users on this site as you have a great command of MiYO already:

1) You DO want to mix the entire jar. There will likely be a lot of sediment material "Settled out" in the bottom of your jars and liquid on top when you get them (Happens during shipping) and it's critical to mix it thoroughly before using. If you don't you will get a large variation in results as the top of the jar has more liquid and the bottom has more ceramic. You will most likely not get the "WYSIWYG" or What you see is what you get if you don't mix properly.
2) DON'T add liquid to the jar! Both MiYO Color and Structure come with the proper amount of liquid! Adding liquid to the jar will change handling properties dramatically as well as visual results. If you want to thin something out (And I get that you will at times) remove material that's been thoroughly mixed and add a small amount of InSync Glaze Liquid to your tray, not the jar.
3) DON'T add water to MiYO Colors. This will change the refractive index of the material and it won't be "WYSIWYG". The color will shift during firing...You can clean your brush with water but drag it across a papertowel and wet the brush slightly by picking up a small amount of InSync Glaze Liquid before picking up the material.
4) If you only want a small amount of chroma, color, etc, apply MiYO with fairly heavy brush strokes, like you would a stain.
5) If you want greater color saturation, value shift, etc. use a "Dab and Drag" application. Pick up more MiYO Color on your brush and with the brush nearly parallel to the crown, let the material slide off the brush without actually touching the brush to the crown. MiYO will literally float on top of itself wet, allowing you to actually "Layer" or create some really cool effects.

For those who own MiYO, you have access to a broad library of videos that cover all of these things, as well as live training done through video conferencing so don't be shy!
K

K

KIM

Reaction score
I don’t understand the confusion because when you buy the MIYO system you’re automatically enlisted with Jensen dental to watch all the MIYO videos by the inventors of the system to show you the technique of use. And registration of webinars to watch and Q/A conducted by Jensen run expert techs.
Thanks Tayeb! Well said...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
My bad, I was suggesting that you don't have to stir the entire jar every time you use it.
Yes, we stir it initially but I've found that I can play with the viscosity after it 'gels slightly, to my advantage.
Follow the guidelines and don't listen to the radicals!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
My bad, I was suggesting that you don't have to stir the entire jar every time you use it.
Yes, we stir it initially but I've found that I can play with the viscosity after it 'gels slightly, to my advantage.
I'll send someone over to collect your Saul Alinsky poster.

K

KIM

Reaction score
No, that's a good clarification, keep being radical!

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Im in Australia, all we get is the kit and instructions. Youtube is my instructor😁

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
This is my first attempt.
Basic A2.
I played with the incisal mostly to try and get a nice transition with some effects.
A little clementine on the neck as well and a window structure fire. I think the hardest thing is removing crown without dropping it face down..
How does the material work on more opaque zirc such at zircad LT?

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_120628.jpg
    IMG_20191013_120628.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 185
JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Photo taken with my pixel guys. Not the best pic.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
This Was 2 veneers, D2/D3 50 50.
Did a few fires at 680 to lock in colours. Then structure fire and glaze at 720.
A little overglazed I thought, so will drop 10.c on next try.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20191015_070954.jpg
    MVIMG_20191015_070954.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 15710861529455820351105718833310.jpg
    15710861529455820351105718833310.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20191002_091233.jpg
    IMG_20191002_091233.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 187
K

KIM

Reaction score
This is my first attempt.
Basic A2.
I played with the incisal mostly to try and get a nice transition with some effects.
A little clementine on the neck as well and a window structure fire. I think the hardest thing is removing crown without dropping it face down..
How does the material work on more opaque zirc such at zircad LT?
Awesome for your first whack at it Jeppsta! What did you use for the incisal area? Smoke or Storm? Cobalt is a nice color too. Try the "Dab and Drag" I mentioned above a bit more but you did great! Oh, try the Halo Spring just on the very incisal edge. Let it flow off of your brush as you go along the edge, its really cool stuff. So you're applying a thin bed of InSync Glaze Paste on the crown before you start? I will grab a few images of some high opacity ZR after it's been "MiYO'd". Without a doubt the nicer the material is underneath, the prettier MiYO will look BUT I've seen some pretty amazing results using MiYO on butt ugly ZR too, lol. Keep going!

K

KIM

Reaction score
This Was 2 veneers, D2/D3 50 50.
Did a few fires at 680 to lock in colours. Then structure fire and glaze at 720.
A little overglazed I thought, so will drop 10.c on next try.
Which furnace are you using?

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Awesome for your first whack at it Jeppsta! What did you use for the incisal area? Smoke or Storm? Cobalt is a nice color too. Try the "Dab and Drag" I mentioned above a bit more but you did great! Oh, try the Halo Spring just on the very incisal edge. Let it flow off of your brush as you go along the edge, its really cool stuff. So you're applying a thin bed of InSync Glaze Paste on the crown before you start? I will grab a few images of some high opacity ZR after it's been "MiYO'd". Without a doubt the nicer the material is underneath, the prettier MiYO will look BUT I've seen some pretty amazing results using MiYO on butt ugly ZR too, lol. Keep going!
Thanks Kim,
I used smoke for veneers and storm on the implant. Loved the storm but very powerful and it took a few goes to blend nicely.
I lost my line angles a little on the final fire for veneers, so I need to work out my temps.
I have a case coming up where I will need to block out a dark stump, so some pics using a more opaque Zirc would be awesome thanks Kim.

Thanks for the help Kim....Cheers

Top Bottom