Milling machine recommendations for small lab

J

jlasaoms

Reaction score
I am currently working for an oral surgery business as a single lab tech making surgical guides and we are wanting to expand into make custom abutments and temporary implant crowns. The work flow is minimal so I was looking for a suggestion on a milling machine that would suit our needs as I wouldn't want to spend too much on a machine with features that would accommodate a larger lab.

I currently use 3shape designing software and I've only worked with a Roland DWX-52D milling zirconia crown/bridge in the past. Any recommendations on what we should purchase would be greatly appreciated.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
depending on your production level (how many you want to make per month) i'd recommend either Versamill 5x400 or 5x450.

you have obviously other options in other brands, but these two mills are competitively priced versus imes and AG.

call Axsys 248-926-8810

C

charles007

Reaction score
jlasaoms, if you go back years on DLN searching anything related to milling you will not see any users of any model of VersaMill asking for help or complaining about problems with the mill, Cam software, or saying they had poor support. Can't say the same from other milling machines even though there are other good mills. Saying your planning to expand to milling abutments would make me lean even more so towards Versamill.
Btw, there are also many doctors across the country that bought the Versamill, for good reason.

A

adl

Reaction score
I have a versamill 5 by 400 and I love it. Plus the support is awesome .

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
DOF makes a decent budget mill that can do everything you need. Imes 350i is another great all arounder with several support options.

If oral surgeons are buying it, why are you concerned about spending too much? One $$ patient could pay for most of a decent mill. Im saying that because you only get one purchase and if you dont get something that will suit your future needs also, your mill could be outdated in a couple years, not to mention older models get replaced every 4-5 years and for sure in less than 10 years you wont find any support for it. Reps will lead you astray, they are just salesmen, selling one product, so youre on the right track here. Get a cup of coffee and read here and you will see the problems people have had with any mill out there.

P

ProZahnAlex

Reaction score
zubler usa has an amazing mill i use its the xmill 500 burs last very long time machine is super accurate and never had any issues. machine with software is around 34k. they also have a xmill 600 for milling titanium and all the other materials youd mill.

Tunajoe

Tunajoe

Reaction score
As a side gig, I make custom Ti abutments and PMMA temporary crowns for my local oral surgeon.
I'm using a AG Motion 2 mill.
Works great

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Zirkonzahn abutment milling machine seems like the perfect match.

A

AKP

Reaction score
I recommend Versamill 5v200. Can do zirconia, abutemnts, emax, and if you decide to go further in the future like pmmas, it can do it to! It is also much faster than Roland, and quite easy to use.

J

jlasaoms

Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions! this helps me a great deal.

K

kgdental2013

Reaction score
If you are looking for machine without fancy features, but specific focus like custom abutments I recommend to take a look at DS200-4WX (5, 10 or even 20 abutment holder available) by Robots and Design, MAXX (Korean brand). Works great for small dental labs. I use this machine

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I had the VHF 205 act up again after I had switched out reference switches a couple of months back. Not sure what the isuue is now but I am coming up om the 5000 hr service. Not sure what to do now,I like to have a back up and the 4 axis is too limited for angled screw channels and I have yet to find a outsource partner to help with specific indications. I sent some to Argen, but half of what I sent came back wrong. They didn't fit or wrong color or poor green state finishing? If I send a stl file for manufacture, does it matter whose manufacturing parameters was in the database? If it is supposed to be a specific size, wouldn't that be the size it should be no matter who makes it

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Thats good to know, I was going to send a large batch to argen so I could actually take off for the holidays, but it takes longer to upload the case than it does to design or mill it.. by the time it comes back and doesnt fit, you end up re-doing it yourself anyways. I found the same thing when I sent to them a few years ago.. Why something wouldnt fit doesnt make sense unless their mills are out of calibration or something..

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
That is what I said, and they started with the do you have our DME's etc. I guess I will have to start a outsourcing business as I cannot find one that does what they say they will do. I am also waiting on Straumann for a approval of abutments, sent order last Tues 7thBanghead

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Yeah I can see if you dont have their settings for tool size etc that it could make them not fit, but not half of them.. If you havent tried axis milling in GA, give them a shot. My mill went down so I had to send some abutments, I milled the bridge and it fit great. Great finish on the abutments. They use dess blanks.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah I can see if you dont have their settings for tool size etc that it could make them not fit, but not half of them.. If you havent tried axis milling in GA, give them a shot. My mill went down so I had to send some abutments, I milled the bridge and it fit great. Great finish on the abutments. They use dess blanks.
do you know what mills they use for the abutments? cause i do.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
whats your point? Cheap mills with good fit and finish? let us all know. And are we talking about argen or axis? Argen uses versamill, so what does axis use?

Last edited:
Davor RDT

Davor RDT

Reaction score
I am currently working for an oral surgery business as a single lab tech making surgical guides and we are wanting to expand into make custom abutments and temporary implant crowns. The work flow is minimal so I was looking for a suggestion on a milling machine that would suit our needs as I wouldn't want to spend too much on a machine with features that would accommodate a larger lab.

I currently use 3shape designing software and I've only worked with a Roland DWX-52D milling zirconia crown/bridge in the past. Any recommendations on what we should purchase would be greatly appreciated.
Any small mill from Imes-icore will be amazing . I had opportunity to work with their 250i and it is a beast . Very stable good German engineering. But if you have money get a 350i . 250i did just about anything thrown at it and did it well. As long as you calibrate on a tight schedule and clean it properly it is a good machine for a long time . New generation of mills from them is very pleasing on the eye as well.
Cheers!

M

MertK

Reaction score
If you are looking for machine without fancy features, but specific focus like custom abutments I recommend to take a look at DS200-4WX (5, 10 or even 20 abutment holder available) by Robots and Design, MAXX (Korean brand). Works great for small dental labs. I use this machine
Hello, I am also considering to pass onto that Korean Manufacturer. How is your experience with them and their machine so far? Would really appreciate to have your opinions.
Mert - Turkey

Top Bottom