Milling CoCr and Zirconia in the same machine

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Hi

What can be the problems, when milling CoCr and Zirconia in the same machine?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We have a PM7 which can mill CoCr, but we don't use it for that. I know that milling CoCr is harder on the spindle. I also believe that needs to be milled wet which takes time to switch between wet and dry milling to ensure the mill is cleaned properly. We use ours solely for milling zirconia, wax, and occasionally PMMA. We outsource all our Ti custom abutment milling and if i needed a CoCr framework, I would outsource that as well.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
CoCr can be milled dry. Pmma is as hard to mill as metal as I have heard so no problem with that. My question is about contamination.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
CoCr can be milled dry. Pmma is as hard to mill as metal as I have heard so no problem with that. My question is about contamination.
PMMA is as hard to mill as metal? Hmmmm2 :oops:

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
PMMA gets hot and kills tools. It really should be wet milled but most dry mill it on machines that are dry only and is really much harder than zirconia, although nothing close to CoCr 😂

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
PMMA gets hot and kills tools. It really should be wet milled but most dry mill it on machines that are dry only and is really much harder than zirconia, although nothing close to CoCr 😂
it def gets hot and with improper tooling strategies can cause all sorts of issues for tools

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
PMMA breaks tools and kills spindels, that is my point.
Milling Titanium and CRCO kills spnidles as diving into metal and ripping it laterally is the high force on a spindle. Milling Ti forms of pre mills is not as heavy on the spindle but glass ceramic is also hard on the spindle. Hence in the new Axis 5x500L they have a variable dual ceramic bearing from 2.1 to 3.2KW spindle that adjust killowatt power as needed per the job it is cutting.

PMMA is hard but when using the right tools and strat it is easy. I know people cutting pmma for years no issues on the spindle.