Milling abutments/bars

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Hey is anyone milling there own abutments or bars? Looking at getting an imes icore 550i. Good/bad? The picture of the machine shows them milling abutments on a disk of titanium so it actually mills the interface. Is this possible or is it a patent infringement? I was told that you can buy blanks that already have the interface. Where do you buy those at? Does any of this make sense or was I told a bunch of malarky!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Haas OM2-a with exocad and SUM3d.

This is best solution if you live in the USA. Make anything you want.

Glidewell used this (Haas OM2-a) . You can come see mine when it arrives.

This is wondeful Industrial mill, with Reinshaw touch probe and tool-setter, 5axis wet-mill with FAST feed-rates and 5HP Spindle for shreading some Ti. (The way I am making mine)

Your tooling costs will be reduced by allowing freedom of options and sources, and tool clamping system is from Switzerland and increases tool life by keeping T.I.R. to a minimum. (Total Indicated Run-out of tool.....or wobble)

You can get trained on the Haas Contoller all over the US.

I hope to be selling this as a turn-key package soon.

Scott

Last edited:
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Using 3shape and sum3D I've successfully milled denture bars out of wax for casting with no problems.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Haas will not help you do this on your own. They just sell Generic mills.

You will need all sorts of companys to help you get it all together. Rego-Fix or Technixs tool holders, some sort of fixture system to hold whatever material you choose, Software CAM-guru to set-up Reinshaw W.I.P.S. and CAM guy to workout the Post and strategys, etc....Calibrating your 4th and 5th axis Rotarys...

In the end....you eliminate all "Re-sellers" of Dental things, and you enter the real world of Industrial milling.

The costs saving are worth the extra research to do this.

I'd be glad to help, or set you up.

Your tool costs will be much lower, service agreements, ability to resell the mill into any Industry is a plus.

Not a locked "Dental" mill.

Last edited:
shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
So this isn't some buy a mill and start milling your own abutments. Thanks for the info. My boss is getting kinda gun-ho about doing abutments. I keep telling him there's more to it than just buying a mill that does titanium.
So imes is the wrong mill to go with for this? I haven't a clue about milling ti. I think we aren't quit there. So this setup your telling me Scott it will mill the interface too, not just mill a blank with the interface. Are those even available? What's the cost for a setup like that.
I read a post that SUM3D will be at the California CAD/CAM symposium, you still sponsoring that? I plan on attending that event.
Thanks for the advice.

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
Shane - Search the forums for "Abutment Blanks". Some threads have links to companies that supply blanks. I have seen them used but no personal experience.
I have seen the Haas at Glidewell and I know that Glidewell also used blanks. Not sure if they do now..

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
I have 550i and we mill custom abutments from ti and zr with ti base. also bars, No problem!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Look at FrenchCADman's posts.

He is using Exocad and a Micron mill I think.

Don't get stuck with a closed system that requires pre-milled interface. Not much profit in that.

iCore is good, just not many service guys and replacement parts in the US. Our exchage rate os USD is not in your favor.

By staying in the states with a Haas....it's a win/win.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Anyone besides B&D selling pre-milled ti blanks for most abutment platforms
figure_1.jpg
figure_1.jpg

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
HAAS Model OM-2A Office Series CNC Vertical Mill, S/N 1056274, New 2007. (AVAILABILITY PENDING)

Specifications:
Travels (XYZ) - 12" x 10" x 12"
Distance, Spindle Nose to Table Top - 3.25" to 15.25"
Table Size - 20" x 10"
Max Weight on Table - 150 Lbs.
Table T-Slot Width - 0.438"
Number of T-Slots - 3
T-Slot Center Distance - 3.375"
Spindle Type - Haas ISO 20
Spindle Speed - 30,000 RPM
Spindle Motor - 5 HP
Max Rapid - 757 IPM
Max Cutting - 500 IPM
Max Thrust - 1140 Lb
Tool Changer - 20 Tools
Power Requirements - 1/60/240 V
Max Operating Height - 84"
Max Operating Width - 74"
Max Operating Depth - 61"
Min Shipping Depth - 35"
Machine Weight, Approx - 1500 Lbs.

Equipped with:
Haas CNC Control
Visual Quick Code
1 Meg Memory Upgrade
High Speed Machining w/Look-Ahead
15" Color LCD Monitor w/USB Port
New 30K Spindle
Rigid Tapping
5 HP Vector Drive
20-Pocket Electronic Tool Changer
Full Enclosure, Ultra-Compact Design
Slide-Out Coolant System in Base
Caster Wheel Set
Kurt Vise
Operators Manual

From R & D Lab / Comparable new price as equipped approx $62,000
PRICE: $39,900.00

My landlord just sent me this quote
Pete

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
The problem is getting the FDA approval for the Interface between the Abutment and the Implant. Thats why you dont see many people doing it yet. 550i is a fantastic machine and you will probably recoup your money quicker than going with the Haas, mainly because all the work its set up to create them today. You will spend more time R&D the Hass to get to a workable machine and then when you have it all set up are your interfaces FDA approved. The price above looks nice but once again X Y Z no A B in that so the Bars are out.

Curently though the way the 450i, 550i and 750i is setup is with interfaces. You can mill out the interfaces on any machine as long as you CAM it correctly, but do you want to have it loaded into somebodys mouth. I think its still a gray area right now.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Pete, you need to add the TR-110 Twin rotarys and 4th and 5th axis wiring. ($35k? total cost)

Then you have to get that set-up...

Then, a tool probing system to off-set the tool lenght for tool changes.

A fixture, and other odds and ends.

Find a CAM to run the mill...make a few small custom programs...

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
Scott,
I'm not in the market for a mill right now. My landlord buys and sells big cnc machines (Madison Tool inc.) and anytime he runs across something with a small work space and high rpms he shoots me a email. It's kinda fun to walk through his warehouse a look at these large multi ton mills.
Pete

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I talked to that guy in OH with the mill yesterday.

It has new Spindle only a few days old, but 1 1/2 HP. Mill was used for Aluminum.

No wiring inside for 4th/5th axis stuff.

These mills (Haas) really hold their value way more than anything Dental.

This used mill above would only save me $15-$18 from a new one, if that. And it's Five years old +?

ciarsolo

ciarsolo

Reaction score
Hello from Spain. I see you're someone very expert in cad cam. I have a question:I use ISCAR tools . What you think? Could I recommend?
thanks, and please excuse my english.

Top Bottom