milled acetal frames

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Heres one I made in a myerson flexpress a few years ago, I just asked about it because of this thread and asking if the Dr would be interested in using one of these frames for an ongoing problem case thats been to two other labs already for the past year. The secretary said the patient loves it and goes on and on about how light it is. This design was influenced by the possible loss of the 2nd bi with the rest..

Milling this, either with teeth, or milling acrylic teeth seems waay easier and less time consuming than the processing of one of these in a press. acetal.jpg

Attachments

• 20161208141403_IMG_0712.JPG
    20161208141403_IMG_0712.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 7
M

mark Rosenberg

Reaction score
the early pucks had some issues with warping, I haven't had an issue milling frames out of acetal. its not for every design. mill using the carbides, using a puma strategy ( Im using a rowland DWX 50 and the sum 3D software, major connectors have t be thicker,I use 2mm. clasp design is a beefed up akers, no I bars. Fits are great, haven't had to repair one yet or add a tooth which will be interesting when it happens. depending on height machine time varies. Good luck.

Hourglass716

Hourglass716

Reaction score
Has anybody started 3D printing with Acetal resins yet?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
can i ask what is the advantage of acetal over other resins?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Acetal is used for chain guards in harley davidsons.. Its tough stuff. What other resin are you referring to? Ive seen a few others in Chicago, the only advantage is how many drinks the rep buys I think..

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i was thinking how does it compare to peek and polycarbonate

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
It doesnt. I made snapon smiles with acetal. Every single one wore out after 3 months. Half of them broke. Looked kinda meh, needed work to look ok.

made more of them in zz multi, which is polycarbonate. Same effect. Wear and breakage.

Dont warrantee these for longer than 30 days and do not recommend them for daily use or for eating.