milled acetal frames

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
why does it have to be either one? good high quality durable material that doesnt act like a tooth removing device over time, is flexible, esthetically pleasing, and doesnt taste like garbage.

food for thought

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in fact, according to DuPont the fact that you can mill a thin or narrow piece does not mean you can mold it.

http://www.dupont.ca/content/dam/du...ics/documents/Delrin/Delrin Molding Guide.pdf
https://www.makepartsfast.com/material-matters-acetal/

which may point to the reason Pucks were developed to begin with, and also demonstrate why people are so unhappy with the results. small clasp, narrow rests, thin wall major connectors - all deform under certain dimensions. and its not repairable you have to start over.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I think they are great for a long term temporary as long as the patient understands it will need to be replaced if there are any changes to their mouth.
Wrought wire clasps are not aesthetic in anterior regions for those who have high appearance demands and minimal space to incorporate a flexible clasp.
They can be relined even though they are nearly throw away appliances that cannot be repaired well, but that is unfortunately where our society is headed.

Acrylic and wrought wire puts more pressure on the ridges and even though acetyl will flex, it will still provide some occlusal rest stability.
It has a place, but it has to be used appropriately. Like everything else.

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
Never tried them but they seem good especially when some patients screech in horror as soon as you mention metal. Then you also have those that only want gluten free, free-range, non-GMO, fair trade partials :)

I think what makes them so attractive to labs is there is no casting and metal finishing o_O

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Never tried them but they seem good especially when some patients screech in horror as soon as you mention metal. Then you also have those that only want gluten free, free-range, non-GMO, fair trade partials :)

I think what makes them so attractive to labs is there is no casting and metal finishing o_O
One of the acrylic makers now lists "gluten free" in their spec sheet. I wish that was a joke.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I think they are great for a long term temporary as long as the patient understands it will need to be replaced if there are any changes to their mouth.
Wrought wire clasps are not aesthetic in anterior regions for those who have high appearance demands and minimal space to incorporate a flexible clasp.
They can be relined even though they are nearly throw away appliances that cannot be repaired well, but that is unfortunately where our society is headed.

Acrylic and wrought wire puts more pressure on the ridges and even though acetyl will flex, it will still provide some occlusal rest stability.
It has a place, but it has to be used appropriately. Like everything else.
any partials are long term temporaries. they are NOT meant to last forever...in fact they are made to wear and break

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I will agree with CHL on the fact that if it breaks or is too thin during milling or finishing, your starting over, probably even redesigning it to be thicker. That could be the biggest hurdle.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I will agree with CHL on the fact that if it breaks or is too thin during milling or finishing, your starting over, probably even redesigning it to be thicker. That could be the biggest hurdle.
any idea what minimum thicknesses should be? or where supports should be attached?

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
i've milled alot of acetal. The case below is a partial hybrid of sorts I made for my 95 year old grandmother. (please ignore the mill hole, we have had the strategy fixed since then to not do whatever it was doing) The teeth in the anterior are denture teeth glued on with the special acetal glue. Her smile looks great, and there's no residual monomer (like in a processed denture).

Acetal is strong, does not break from my experience with it, and i'm not sure about any warpage mentioned in the comments. No experience with that here.

I've made temperary long term snap on smiles with the stuff.

The clasps are thicker, but not much really.

It polishes up nice and looks great!

Sorry, i couldn't find a final pick of my grandmothers appliance in the mouth

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-10 15.02.06.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-10 15.02.06.png
    217.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2018-10-10 15.01.37.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-10 15.01.37.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2018-10-10 15.01.51.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-10 15.01.51.png
    262.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 49
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
so you cut the frame with tooth sockets and glued teeth in? cause with the design of that frame it looks like you would have cut the frame with the teeth in place, matrixed it with putty, then handpieced the teeth out and injected new nice shade material.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
i've milled alot of acetal. The case below is a partial hybrid of sorts I made for my 95 year old grandmother. (please ignore the mill hole, we have had the strategy fixed since then to not do whatever it was doing) The teeth in the anterior are denture teeth glued on with the special acetal glue. Her smile looks great, and there's no residual monomer (like in a processed denture).

Acetal is strong, does not break from my experience with it, and i'm not sure about any warpage mentioned in the comments. No experience with that here.

Special acetyl glue? Please tell what are you getting from Who?

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
so you cut the frame with tooth sockets and glued teeth in? cause with the design of that frame it looks like you would have cut the frame with the teeth in place, matrixed it with putty, then handpieced the teeth out and injected new nice shade material.

manually cut the teeth to fit, primed it.. stuck on acrylic and teeth... just like a denture repair

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

thanks Devon, super informative

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Devon what burs are you using? just regular PMMA burs?

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
TE= Technologist
Fancy way of distinguishing those who have an associates degree along with CDT from those without degree.