milled acetal frames

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i have a few labs that are interested in having me mill for them their designs of acetal frames or something similar. is anyone out there milling acetal frames or the like?
suggestions for any of it would be helpful. i would rather not buy 10 pucks of varying stuff to find out what works well and what doesnt haha! and before you kick me upside the head....these are being requested of me, and honestly why shouldnt i keep the mill busy? it usually sits quiet in the morning so a few hours milling 1-3 frames a week would be good!

materials? tools? nesting/supports? any insight would be great! thanks

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
keep your mill busy, by all means, just not with busywork.

this is not a good idea. anyone who tells you otherwise is daft. acetal is good for snap on smiles and literally nothing else, also it is not dimensionally stable once you cut into a disc you will see there are internal tensions, our used ones are egg shaped and most things have fit issues.

this is too much work to be worth spending time doing.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
keep your mill busy, by all means, just not with busywork.

this is not a good idea. anyone who tells you otherwise is daft. acetal is good for snap on smiles and literally nothing else, also it is not dimensionally stable once you cut into a disc you will see there are internal tensions, our used ones are egg shaped and most things have fit issues.

this is too much work to be worth spending time doing.
this is nearly zero work for me. i dont scan, or design, or sell them to Drs. it doesnt have to be acetal, but something in that product scope.

i classify it the same as PFMs. i dont like them, i dont go out and get PFM work to do....but when it comes in, i do them. it would be stupid of me to turn away work thats just nesting and milling. the Drs dont care what lab they send it to. its going to be milled regardless. i might as well pocket some lunch money out of it.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
with acetal due to the remake factor with stress warping, this is not a money maker for snything that requires precision. it is good for making vampire teeth and other clip on things, but as a frame material is both weak and difficult to bond.

i advise no-one to go down this road. it will not end well.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
with acetal due to the remake factor with stress warping, this is not a money maker for snything that requires precision. it is good for making vampire teeth and other clip on things, but as a frame material is both weak and difficult to bond.

i advise no-one to go down this road. it will not end well.
again, these are already being done. and im just milling for other labs. from their designs. the remake side of things is on them. and this might just be your experience....because if the remakes were that bad, i dont think they would continue making them (and they have been). i know you personally dislike this stuff, and i respect that. i dont have any Drs asking for it, but im not really offering it either at this stage. but if all i have to do is stock some pucks and mill a few here and there, it makes sense...and cents.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
You should definitely do this. Can’t miss idea. No way you can lose on this. It’s a no-brainer.

Geez..... why do people ask for opinions when all they really want is to hear from people that agree with them??

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You should definitely do this. Can’t miss idea. No way you can lose on this. It’s a no-brainer.

Geez..... why do people ask for opinions when all they really want is to hear from people that agree with them??
what i was asking for was, and i quote "anyone out there milling acetal frames or the like?"
and
"materials? tools? nesting/supports?"
thanks

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
what i was asking for was, and i quote "anyone out there milling acetal frames or the like?"
and
thanks
I wasn’t talking about you SideBoob.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
milling frames someone else designed?

double no. dude, if its shipped warped how will you know? more over, how will you damage your reputation? bad idea, let some other shmuck lose his shirt making this junk.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
If you're simply milling with zero responsibility for fit or remakes, go for it. Don't expect to use the same disc twice, they wont fit back in the machine.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
milling frames someone else designed?

double no. dude, if its shipped warped how will you know? more over, how will you damage your reputation? bad idea, let some other shmuck lose his shirt making this junk.

Good point, how would you know who's to blame, and then remake controversy?

Last edited:
RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
and
thanks

Ok..

Anyone who has milled Acetal frames has run away from it like a grenade without a pin

Acetal uses the same milling tools as PMMA

Nest and support as you would for any other PMMA job.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

I agree.