Microwave Denture Curing

A

Anziano

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I'm going to be Microwave curing some dentures next week for the first time. I've read instructions for the Success microwavable flasks, and bits a pieces online from other sources. I've purchased the Microflask brand flask. I know some of you out there do it and love it. Any tips would be appreciated and what works for you!! Thanks!

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Are you planning to use Lucitone? I've always used AcronMC and now what it'sbeen renamed, NaturCrylMC.
After you pack/inject, have a 30 minute bench set before you cure.
Make sure the wattage is correct.
If a brand offers specific times/temperatures to cure- follow them for that brand- they can and do vary.

L

leetech

Reaction score
Hi there

I use gc acron mc aswell , just wondering why the 30 mins bench set !

Its a great way to make dentures, remember if your curing a chrome remember to turn the flask half way during the curing.

I find as the flask edges are wide compared to brass flasks a trial closure is needed. Also before boiling out cut into the flasking plaster sprue grooves too allow the excess acrylic to run into.

Hope this helps good luck

lee

A

Anziano

Reaction score
Thanks. I was thinking of using up the supply i have of Lucitone, and then switch to a dedicated microwave acrylic like AcronMC. The instructions i found for Lucitone said to microwave for 15 minutes.

Dentsply Trubyte - Products - SUCCESS MICROWAVE L-199

Then i found a study online comparing three acrylics and they microwaved the Lucitone 199 for only 3 minutes. Maybe it depends on the flask type. Perhaps switching to AcronMC right away isn't such a bad idea. Thanks :)

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Bench setting any acrylic is advisable for all types of heat cured acrylic regardless of heat source.

The acrylic goes through an initial exothermic heat reaction once mixed, and, if not allowed to subside somewhat before heat introduction, will accelerate the climb rate of heat once applied from the outside source resulting in possible porosity depending on thickness of acrylic and how centered the placement in mold the appliance is.

inside heat + outside heat= accelerated climb rate

L

leetech

Reaction score
re bench setting

i usally add the powder to liquid , i follow the GC instructions , and do not mix by stiring, i then wait around 20 mins , then pack ( trial close etc) i then continue to cure ! should i be bench setting for 30 mins first ,once packed and clamped !!
I dont usually have porosity or any other problems

regards

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hi there

I use gc acron mc aswell , just wondering why the 30 mins bench set !

Its a great way to make dentures, remember if your curing a chrome remember to turn the flask half way during the curing.

I find as the flask edges are wide compared to brass flasks a trial closure is needed. Also before boiling out cut into the flasking plaster sprue grooves too allow the excess acrylic to run into.

Hope this helps good luck

lee
Well, for starters, that's the manufacturers instructions; you do follow those, yes?
Second of all, a 30 minute bench set allows for the monomer to penetrate the basal of the teeth and create a bond, in other words, fewer pop offs.
Third, what Tom said. He's someone I'd listen to when he talks material properties of these resins.

Last edited:
L

leetech

Reaction score
1) i do follow the instruction ! it doesnt seem to mention bench setting !
2)thankyou for telling me the reason for bench setting. It makes a lot of sence, and ill carry out this procedure from now on.
3)i have followed Toms posts on this forum , and he is a font of information.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
My bad, I just pulled up the instructions and it doesn't say that. I've done it for so many years now....
If memory serves, it was a technical article on microwave resins around 15 years back... that's what got me started.
I must be getting old and confused.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Microwaves are for POPCORN, not dentures...Just kidding. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

PS Dont forget to let the popcorn bench set for a minute or to before
you open it.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Any negative reports on Microwave cured dentures ?
Long term users out there ?
popcorn

L

leetech

Reaction score
been using for over a year now no problems just follow instructions, know a few techs and cdts that use this method also.Gc resin is a quality material

regards lee

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Any negative reports on Microwave cured dentures ?
Long term users out there ?
popcorn
Since '95 I've used GC. I won't vouch for any of the other resins, but I've got nothing but good things to say about GC.

D

Dr Jizzler

Reaction score
Hi ther this is my first post I as interested in having a go at microwve flsking but wwhen I seen the price of the flask the GC acron I nearly fell off my stool £400 for one over in blighty could you recommend any cheaper alternatives and if so where? cheers .

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hi ther this is my first post I as interested in having a go at microwve flsking but wwhen I seen the price of the flask the GC acron I nearly fell off my stool £400 for one over in blighty could you recommend any cheaper alternatives and if so where? cheers .

400 quid!!!!! Jesus, why don't they just ask for your right arm AND first born?
Going rate in US is $300 +/-.
Why not buy from Zahn and import them, or go to ebay???
P.S. the main mfrs are Justi, GC, and Dentsply (for Success). All run about the same.

L

leetech

Reaction score
hi there

zahn quoted me £280 for a gc flask, the justi flasks look good may import a few later in the year, look on american tooth industries web site around $150 per flask and $90 to ship so if u buy a few may be worth it

regards lee

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
If you buy the Justi go with the tan color ones. They will last forever. DO NOT buy any black ones no matter who makes them. They are less expensive, yes, but YOU CAN BREAK THEM!

D

Dr Jizzler

Reaction score
Cheers for the heads up it I was looking on ebay but only seemed able to bring up microwavable thermos flasks so could be ok if you were making dentures for an anteater with colour contour and stipple. Will check out Zahn and american tooth company cheers agianIt reckons it takes about 3 mins to do adenture is this right ?.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
It reckons it takes about 3 mins to do adenture is this right ?.
It'll take the same amount of time (hands-on) to make a denture - it's the curing time only that's reduced. A job may be rushed though the lab faster than with a conventional heat-curing cycle. On mainland europe there seems to be a preference currently for 'pour resins' and autopolymerised.