Metal coping with full zirconia cemented

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? Casting a metal coping and cementing a full zirconia on top?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? Casting a metal coping and cementing a full zirconia on top?
I experimented with this but not for a patient. I would cement it with an opacious hybrid cement.
It's reall no different than cementing a fcz to a metal abutment.

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
I might be able to have some results for you with a patient. I've always thought of this, but never experimented on a patient and I figured it shouldn't fail. Doctor absolutely HATES metal in her patient's mouths, but I have a 5 unit bridge with 3 pontics... Made her a full zirconia bridge 2 years ago, but the patient bit on a rock and it broke in half. Told her from the start that it won't last long... but oh well. I'll let you know how things go about for this 5 unit bridge I have if the doctor is willing.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I might be able to have some results for you with a patient. I've always thought of this, but never experimented on a patient and I figured it shouldn't fail. Doctor absolutely HATES metal in her patient's mouths, but I have a 5 unit bridge with 3 pontics... Made her a full zirconia bridge 2 years ago, but the patient bit on a rock and it broke in half. Told her from the start that it won't last long... but oh well. I'll let you know how things go about for this 5 unit bridge I have if the doctor is willing.
The advantage you have is room for zirconia on the pontics. The disadvantage will be having enough room for the abutment teeth.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
“The patient bit on a rock”

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Why would you want a metal coping under a cemented crown?
Like what would you gain?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I've experimented with a telescopic type coping. A distal ERA attachment on a milled titanium coping with a monolithic zr crown cemented on top for a partial case.....

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Hope you made it worth your while.
My casting machine has only been used for jewelry and collecting dust lately.
I did! , It wasn't too bad... no more casting for me as well, lol... Did a design set up as 2 offset inlays w/ a reduced pontic. (Free formed the pontic to accept the "over-crown") then saved it as a jaw scan, also saved the anatomic molar shape as a preop. Set up a new design as a normal full contour crown, brought the stl's in , then adapted crown to the preop. Sent the t gold framework out to Strategy Milling and had ZI milled at the same time. I put it all together when it came back. It cost him more to do it this way than a conventional ZI bridge. Dontknow

Last edited:
Top Bottom