Metal 3D printing

I

Ian Wang

Reaction score
I'm completly new to metal 3D printing. I want to know what is the workflow after printing? I mean, How will we deal with the printed crowns? Could you guys share me some information about this? I will be very thankful.

doug

doug

Reaction score
We outsource to Argen for printed crowns. When they get back here, We check the fit, margins, and , usually just finish the margins to thin them as needed. Go to your regular metal treatment process and opaque.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We outsource to Argen for printed crowns. When they get back here, We check the fit, margins, and , usually just finish the margins to thin them as needed. Go to your regular metal treatment process and opaque.
Are you guys casting any of your own metal in house?

doug

doug

Reaction score
Brett, if you're asking me, We haven't cast in probably 4 plus years.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Are you guys casting any of your own metal in house?
As for my lab, and it's just a personal preference thing, I mill the wax frameworks, check and seal the margins if needed with margin wax.

I also buy my metal in 5 to 10 dwt increments, as I don't do a lot of pfm's or UCLA's, so it saves me from buying a full ounce $$ at a time. I'm using Argedent Euro.

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
How will we deal with the printed crowns

We check the fit, margins,
I have outsourced to Argen to try SLM. I just think the tech isn't there, yet, at least it did not work out for me. I admit it has been a while, though.

What I have used a couple times now is their DPM service. But also with mixed results. Some cases worked very well and with a couple cases, I opted to re cast it myself. These were high yellow gold alloys.

I

Ian Wang

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information, And do you have any video or article about this workflow? If yes, please share me the link, I want to learn step by step.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you all for the information, And do you have any video or article about this workflow? If yes, please share me the link, I want to learn step by step.
Not sure what you mean, but here is what I do:

- You basically design the coping in your favorite flavor of design software, according to your needs.

- You then send the STL file to Argen, or any other company offering the service.

- They then fabricate the coping/framework, either SLM or DPM, and return it to you.

- Once you get it back, you follow your PFM finishing protocol and apply porcelain as requested.

Go to Argen's website and look up up the different services. It is explained quite well what one or the other is.

I

Ian Wang

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean, but here is what I do:

- You basically design the coping in your favorite flavor of design software, according to your needs.

- You then send the STL file to Argen, or any other company offering the service.

- They then fabricate the coping/framework, either SLM or DPM, and return it to you.

- Once you get it back, you follow your PFM finishing protocol and apply porcelain as requested.

Go to Argen's website and look up up the different services. It is explained quite well what one or the other is.
thank you so much for your reply and patience

McFarland97

McFarland97

Reaction score
At our lab, we outsource this just like @doug said. In our case, it's not worth the costs required to be compliant with laws/regulations and do it in-house. Eventually, I'm sure the case load will merit the investment but I don't believe that time is now.