Merging 2 Meshes

O

omsk

Reaction score
Hi everyone

A doctor sent me 2 impressions for 1 crown. For the prep, Dr wants me to use the buccal of #1 and the lingual of #2.
I've had Dr's ask me before if I can do this and I usually tell them I can't or that is not recommended at all.

Before I ask the Dr for a new good impression... Is it possible to do it?

I've gotten as far as this...

I scanned both impressions, then cut the bad part of the first and kept the good part of the second.
My problem is that I don't really know how to merge them into 1 mesh or if its possible.
When using exocad save as feature, it creates one stl however the file still contains 2 meshes. Which don't work when designing the crown. It gives errors when selecting the margin since it is 2 surfaces.

This is how it looks in Meshmixer and shows the problem... any idea how to really combine them or flatten them into 1 mesh?

2MESHES.JPG

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
run threw 3 d builder and
combine export as Stl

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you are already in Meshmixer, just select both meshes, click combine. done.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Suppose you were successful in merging the mesh, is the final crown will fit precisely on the margin? Why not ask to retake the imp. I know I stand to be corrected on multiple abutment cases if one abutment is not clear a second imp. of the specific abutment could be used.
You’re lucky that three impressions weren’t included for that particular prep😊

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
For the digitally impaired like me...
Pour both impressions. Scrape the obvious, scan and mill a simple coping on each. Compare on each other. Refine the dies and proceed.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I find Meshmixer a bit finicky when it comes to join meshes. With Meshlab is much easier ;)

O

omsk

Reaction score
Thanks I will try this zero_zero!

I did end up requesting a new impression since I was just spending too much time trying to figure it out.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
For the digitally impaired like me...
Pour both impressions. Scrape the obvious, scan and mill a simple coping on each. Compare on each other. Refine the dies and proceed.
Digitally challenged?
Did you lose a finger when putting the claymore charges back in place after the contractor left?

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks I will try this zero_zero!

I did end up requesting a new impression since I was just spending too much time trying to figure it out.
Why do you waste your time with imp, if not clear and just ask for new clear imp. retake, that’s what I do always if not clear. Just a friendly reminder for free😊

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Just revisiting this thread, that it isnt possible to join two meshes in exocad? Blender does a good job, but what a hassle..

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Just revisiting this thread, that it isnt possible to join two meshes in exocad? Blender does a good job, but what a hassle..
in exocad show only your two meshes on screen, right click the Save icon, select Export Scene to Mesh (save in stl format)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive done that, I guess its just a different way of doing the same thing. I was hoping to be able to export the die and adjacent teeth from the scanner as one mesh, but I dont see that for options in DOF or exo.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
from the scanner? no idea. in exo nbd.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Doctor trimmed the top of prep off when adjusting for more clearance. When when he rescanned that area it matched up side down and now the insertion direction wrong? Any way to fix this??

DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
Doctor trimmed the top of prep off when adjusting for more clearance. When when he rescanned that area it matched up side down and now the insertion direction wrong? Any way to fix this??
Send me the mesh, Ill fix it for you quick, if you want to do it yourself either take it to meshmixer or netfabb basic and reverse the normals on the inverted mesh

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
In the new Elefsina, one can merge/repair open meshes directly in Exocad via edit mesh as it seems.

See https://www.level5cad.com/faq-exocad-3-2-elefsina-highlights-neu (Bild13 / Image 13)
doubt it will work to merge two meshes, because when the edit mesh tool opens, you can only work on one mesh at a time. the merging should occur before using the tool, so that using the tool you can remove the seam between two separate objects in the same mesh.