zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Post that obj file, lemme take a look

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Try PLY?

Which scanner is this? I know for a fact the i500 did color output a few weeks ago as OBJ.
ply comes out like obj
my head hurts

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if its a license thing. All I know is when I go to import scans into 3shape it only likes .stl, .dcm, and .hps........... I don't even know the hps extension. We scan some models with texture and it sucks on the medit scanner cause they are .ply and I can't import. I know you can convert the scans to stls using other software but you will lose the color. Sorry I can't be much else help.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if its a license thing. All I know is when I go to import scans into 3shape it only likes .stl, .dcm, and .hps........... I don't even know the hps extension. We scan some models with texture and it sucks on the medit scanner cause they are .ply and I can't import. I know you can convert the scans to stls using other software but you will lose the color. Sorry I can't be much else help.
Hearing the same situation from others is very helpful. I feels good to know others are losing their minds at the same time as me.
I thought medit can send stl files. Isn't that what being open is all about?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Hearing the same situation from others is very helpful. I feels good to know others are losing their minds at the same time as me.
Stl files don't have color. ply and obj have texture/color. It has to be something within your software not utilizing the texture from the obj scans

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score

I can scan models (without texture) and it lets me export as stls, but of course its gray. Frustrating though when we have a need for a scan with color.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Stl files don't have color. ply and obj have texture/color. It has to be something within your software not utilizing the texture from the obj scans
so it's a setting or a license issue?

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Hello rkm,

Any documentation I've seen shows that 3Shape requires their own .DCM file (or possibly a converted version) in order to use the textured scans. STL files cannot have texture, and .ply and .obj files cannot be imported into 3Shape as far as I'm aware. If they can, they must have opened it up recently. If you're scanning for 3Shape though, when in the actual scanning portion of ColLab2017, not the database, go to the bottom left and click the cogwheel, and set output for 3Shape if you haven't already. This will help with orientation and making sure the mesh is closed in a fashion 3Shape finds palatable.

@blackhawk201 which medit scanner are you using? The Medit IOS can do texture, as well as the Hybrid and T500. The Blue, T300, and ancient Identica White cannot.

They really - reaallyyy want you to buy one of their scanners.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
so it's a setting or a license issue?
Just poking you with the license issue.
3shape software must not be set up to use open source obj or ply files.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Just poking you with the license issue.
3shape software must not be set up to use open source obj or ply files.
It doesn't make sense when the module is called "all scans". This is more annoying than the prick that hacked my email.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
so which file should a medit se
Hello rkm,

Any documentation I've seen shows that 3Shape requires their own .DCM file (or possibly a converted version) in order to use the textured scans. STL files cannot have texture, and .ply and .obj files cannot be imported into 3Shape as far as I'm aware. If they can, they must have opened it up recently. If you're scanning for 3Shape though, when in the actual scanning portion of ColLab2017, not the database, go to the bottom left and click the cogwheel, and set output for 3Shape if you haven't already. This will help with orientation and making sure the mesh is closed in a fashion 3Shape finds palatable.

@blackhawk201 which medit scanner are you using? The Medit IOS can do texture, as well as the Hybrid and T500. The Blue, T300, and ancient Identica White cannot.

They really - reaallyyy want you to buy one of their scanners.
I'm able to import the .obj files but they are not in colour. My dr was told that .ply is better than .obj for 3 shape. Both look like crap to me.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Medit scanners can only export the .obj format. I've checked out the medit link scans I've done with the i500, and have a T500 that I just double checked the textured scans from ColLab.

The .ply format can contain more information (like transparency, etc) but the .obj is a bit more universal. So probably for transparency and extra data information 3Shape suggests .ply, but it's also more data and size intensive, and takes longer to merge the scans.

If 3Shape can actually import .obj's then I doubt they would want to let you see the color from it, or else you could just use another scanner. I can play around with our old 3shape system and see if I can find any way with 2019 to import a textured scan .obj or .ply. I'll let you guys know the result.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Medit scanners can only export the .obj format. I've checked out the medit link scans I've done with the i500, and have a T500 that I just double checked the textured scans from ColLab.

The .ply format can contain more information (like transparency, etc) but the .obj is a bit more universal. So probably for transparency and extra data information 3Shape suggests .ply, but it's also more data and size intensive, and takes longer to merge the scans.

If 3Shape can actually import .obj's then I doubt they would want to let you see the color from it, or else you could just use another scanner. I can play around with our old 3shape system and see if I can find any way with 2019 to import a textured scan .obj or .ply. I'll let you guys know the result.
Argen support says that I need an stl.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I found the solution..lol
View attachment 34716
so what exactly does texture scan mean? I can still see the colour scan in the preview . Is accuracy lost when converted to an stl?
Is texture just a visual aspect? I received a scan from my dr today.
The preview was in colour and looked ok however it didn't look crisp in monochrome. When I imported into 3 shape stl , there was a considerable difference in detail that I see with the Trios scans.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
so what exactly does texture scan mean? I can still see the colour scan in the preview . Is accuracy lost when converted to an stl?
In 3D the color applied to models is called texture, there's no accuracy lost during conversion just the texture/color info is cut out
This is how an OBJ file looks like, the first three numbers are the XYZ coords. following with the RGB color values for each vertex:
medit.png

Is texture just a visual aspect?
Yes it is
The preview was in colour and looked ok however it didn't look crisp in monochrome. When I imported into 3 shape stl , there was a considerable difference in detail that I see with the Trios scans.
If it doesn't look as good as a trios scan then it well could be the io scanner's fault/quality... or it could be 3sheep trying to discourage you of using other brands ? That can be easily verified with some 3rd party software that handles/converts OBJ files

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
In 3D the color applied to models is called texture, there's no accuracy lost during conversion just the texture/color info is cut out
This is how an OBJ file looks like, the first three numbers are the XYZ coords. following with the RGB color values for each vertex:
View attachment 34717

Yes it is

If it doesn't look as good as a trios scan then it well could be the io scanner's fault/quality... or it could be 3sheep trying to discourage you of using other brads ? That can be easily verified with some 3rd party software that handles/converts OBJ files
so an stl is only as good as it's source? I would also like to see a 3rd party comparison . Is that called mesh data? I don't think 3 sheep is frigging the files but what would I know ? I'm not Danish.
I haven't milled the crown yet and the dr is willing to include a pvs so I'll go with that for now.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Mesh data is the triangulated point cloud the scanner captures, is only good as it's source.
Download Meshlab to visualize and convert Medit OBJ files

Top Bottom