Medit Hybrid problems. Need help please.

B

bcmmdl

Reaction score
I have a Medit Hybrid that I purchased in new in 2015 if I remember correctly. I didn't start really using it till late 2018. It's been working great all year. As of this afternoon it wasn't wanting to connect and if it does it is slow as hell to scan and isn't showing a preview image of scan area. I've tried different USB cords and ports. Updated and checked all connections. I'm at a loss and don't even know who to beg help from since I purchased from Praxxis Dental (Brabant) in Sacramento. I don't think they are in the digital resale business anymore. Has anyone experienced this sort of problem or can you point me in the right direction please? I'm a one man lab (18 yrs.) and don't have an extra 10-15k sitting around to overnight one to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Some other things to try if you don't get in touch with Joonie immediately:
  • Try another computer if you have access to one.
  • Make sure Windows is up to date.
  • Make sure your BIOS, BUS, USB drivers are up to date. (Dell makes this pretty easy)
  • Don't connect the USB cable through any extenders, hubs, etc. Connect directly to the USB 3.0 port on your PC's motherboard. This link will help with USB port identification: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-know-if-my-computer-has-usb-3-0-ports/
  • Good luck and please post the solution once you have this resolved so others can benefit from your experience.
  • One other thought, Medit shipped a USB card with their scanners. I am not sure if they did that will all Hybrids but they were doing it with the T series. If you still have that card you could install it on your PC and see if that solves the problem.

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Some other things to try if you don't get in touch with Joonie immediately:
  • Try another computer if you have access to one.
  • Make sure Windows is up to date.
  • Make sure your BIO, BUS, USB drivers are up to date. (Dell makes this pretty easy)
  • Don't connect the USB cable through any extenders, hubs, etc. Connect directly to the USB 3.0 port on your PC's motherboard. This link will help with USB port identification: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-know-if-my-computer-has-usb-3-0-ports/
  • Good luck and please post the solution once you have this resolved so others can benefit from your experience.
Guessing he probably means BIOS

B

bcmmdl

Reaction score
I was very happy to get a call from Medit last night around midnight. But like a car problem it had resolved itself about 30 minutes before they called. The only explanation I can come up with is overheating of either the scanner or the usb hardware in the computer. The medit tech checked out all the drivers and software side through meditviewer. He also said they’ve never had an issue relating to overheating. I say overheating cause I keep the scanner/computer in a cabinet type enclosure. After moving it onto open countertop and letting it sit a hour it began working normal. Possibly a usb cord being too close to other cords. I’ll report back after keeping it out of enclosure for awhile. It’s a great machine so I’m hoping it’s a computer problem. I really appreciated Medit calling from Korea within a few hours of receiving my email.

Computer is a laptop not a desktop just to clarify

[Mod edit: Merge posts]

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bcmmdl

Reaction score
So this is my update on the problems I've been having. I ordered a another scanner to have as a back up. Not cool but no other choice. As I'm waiting for it to arrive my Medit still functions about half the time I need it to. One day I check my computers programs and discover I have Collab17 downloaded about five times two of which are partial downloads. I clear all of this out and start with a fresh version. Wow, everything works great for about five cases in a row. Next day, same problems again! By then the new scanner (different brand) is delivered. So I rush to hook it up and get ready to calibrate it. Guess what the program says. Device cannot be found, plug into USB 3 port. So I'm like you got to be kidding me it's the damn USB ports on the laptop! I run down and buy the swankiest gaming computer at Walmart, new scanner works great. I decide I'd better hook up the Medit to new computer to check if that solved the problem. Medit still only works about half the time. That's where I'm at now. More poor and still pulling hair out.🤕

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
How often do you calibrate your hybrid? I had the same thing happen on my medit hybrid two times about six months apart. I turned everything off, let it sit for a few minutes, turn everything on and recalibrated the scanner and it works fine. Don't know what caused the problem of image of model not showing up on the screen. Maybe not calibrating often enough?

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
By the way I have my scanner for three years and use it on the regular bases.

B

bcmmdl

Reaction score
I hadn't calibrated it very often, maybe four times in since I began using it. It sat on shelf for most of the first three out of the four years since purchase. Only in the last year has it seen use about every other work day. When problems began creeping up a month or two ago, it's been calibrated about 10 times it seems. I just used it a moment ago to scan a implant scan body and all went well, but I bet if I tried to run 4-5 cases through it would get slow and then bam no connection no image. I took the back cover off and you can see when its about to go belly up because the one of the green lights on the cameras turns red and then she's done for the day. Two reds on the top cameras one green in the middle, no connection, no scanned image. Frustrating, because it's a pretty nice machine. I used to think it was fast until i got this new one. It blows the scan time out of the water but lacks on the fit and finish as well as the scan software. I guess I'll just have to beg somebody to take it in for repair as my reseller is long gone. I have a video of it in action, good and bad with the rear cover off. I have a feeling it's going to be needed to diagnose the problem. Thanks for the interest!

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Hopefully you can get it fixed, its a good production tool.