Medit/exocad Pains

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Thanks Josh.
Sometimes (pretty much always) I think it's so easy it's hard and complicated (forced smile/grimace face emoji)
I'll give 'er a go

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I think if you name your wax up as "pre- op" in DB and after you are done ballpark shaping the proposed veneers when you click next there will be a " adopt to pre-op. Click on that and the veneers will morph into the shape of your wax up as individual units. Then when you click next you get another chance to adjust the veneers.
One thing, after you scan the wax up, before merging(in Medit software) on the wax up scan, cut away everything except the veneers. That way it's easier for the software to merge the wax up to the workind model. So dont do copymill.

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
here's a real Exocad pain in the as$. I set the full lower case up but forgot to select green ball to bridge each unit together. When I noticed the mistake I did expert, change type and turned the balls green. the most distal crowns are cantileveer pontics. i've done this before with other bridges.
1602984075141.png
So, I finish the design and without doing a really good double check to make sure all the crowns are actually on the bridge, I just nested and milled. Pull it out of the mill and the cantilever pontics are not there!! I load a 3d preview of the saved file and they are not there. Why didn't it attach and save the pontics?
1602984452477.png
Cuss my life and the poor decision to buy exocad instead of upgrading my 3shape right? What's going on here? 1602984075141.png 1602984305427.png 1602984452477.png

A

adl

Reaction score
here's a real Exocad pain in the as$. I set the full lower case up but forgot to select green ball to bridge each unit together. When I noticed the mistake I did expert, change type and turned the balls green. the most distal crowns are cantileveer pontics. i've done this before with other bridges.
View attachment 37053
So, I finish the design and without doing a really good double check to make sure all the crowns are actually on the bridge, I just nested and milled. Pull it out of the mill and the cantilever pontics are not there!! I load a 3d preview of the saved file and they are not there. Why didn't it attach and save the pontics?
View attachment 37055
Cuss my life and the poor decision to buy exocad instead of upgrading my 3shape right? What's going on here? View attachment 37053 View attachment 37054 View attachment 37055
Riley, cut your losses and get back to what you know best.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
, I finish the design and without doing a really good double check to make sure all the crowns are actually on the bridge, I just nested and milled
This is the software's fault Boring

The reason the pontics weren't connected to the merged resto is you didn't connect them. If you were doing something other than a wax up/copy mill for that bridge you would have been prompted to add the connectors in the design process.

One way to fix this without deleting merged parts. <---- this is a way to make your situation worse if you are not familiar with the process.

Save each pontic separately as stl. Choose the top option in the prompt window for which coordinates to save in.
In expert mode, add remove mesh, since you don't have a preop already, import those pontic stl files you just saved as preop mesh. After importing, still in expert mode right click one of the pontics, select free form scan data. Add to the mesial of each pontic to make a nice broad connector. Make certain the free form addition intersects the distal of your bridge.
Once you are happy with the connector size save the cantilever pontics again as stl in the same coordinates.
Continuing in expert mode, right click on the bridge, select free form restoration.

In the free form window navigate to ATT,
in the library drop down menu scroll to 'add from file'.
Navigate to the CAD Data Pt. folder you saved those pontics in if it doesn't open automatically.
Double click on the pontic file. Click apply, click ok or next. When prompted select yes when asked if you want to save your free form changes. The software will recalculate the restoration with the pontics attached and save a merged bridge.

There are several other ways and/or shortcuts to do this, but this is a pretty safe way until you are more familiar with the steps.

People like to gripe about the exowiki and how brief or outdated it is. It explains all the basic software functions pretty well and concisely. I still reference it when I haven't done a certain type of whatever in a long while.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The reason the pontics weren't connected to the merged resto is you didn't connect them. If you were doing something other than a wax up/copy mill for that bridge you would have been prompted to add the connectors in the design process.
BangheadBangheadBanghead
I just started finishing a PMMA case similar to yours. Noticed something weird, the cantilever, bridge abutment and pontic were not included on the milled bridge.
I connected them all, I know I did.

Doh1.png

It merged into a bridge.

Doh2.png

Just not connected to 6-8.

Doh4.png

There is that section sitting all by itself. I missed it when sending to CAM.StonedHahaha

Doh3.png

Finally after double checking. Merged to 6-8.Ciao

Moral of the story? I'm glad I edited out all the pay attention to WTF you are doing, stupid mistakes, blah, blah, etc. before posting my reply last night.😖

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
There is more options to fix your F#ck-ups in Exocad that I'll ever learn in my lifetime!! Once you realize you messed up, back up to the final free-forming stage and switch to Expert. Then there is an easy way to add connectors by highlighting each restoration, then right-clicking over them and choosing either "connect to mesial" or "distal neighbor." Then Highlight them all using control button. Then on the bottom "pop-up" pick "Connectors" make 'em how you want them , then merge 'em.. Quick easy fix and "it's a good day in the "connector neighborhood"
Nobody is more riddled with ADD,OCD, and feeble-mindedness than me, LOL. Like 2th said Exo wiki could stand to be updated. And it would be nice if they added some of the tricky fixes! Here's a quick screen Vid where I purposely didn't check the connectors in the DB project...

Last edited:
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
@LarryRDC if you know a trick to connect to mesial or distal neighbor using waxup/copy mill I'd love to hear it.

Please don't tell me it's possible from using the menu that rises from the tool bar in expert mode. Lol

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Yep you are correct 2th, as I set the test video as anatomic crowns, not waxup/copy mill...I told you I was riddled ADD!!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Yep you are correct 2th, as I set the test video as anatomic crowns, not waxup/copy mill...I told you I was riddled ADD!!
Dang, hoping you knew an easy secret.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Riley, cut your losses and get back to what you know best.

I 50/50 Agree with you, except that Riley has come so far since his original post of his thread, that I'd hate for him to totally chuck it in at this point.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I don't remember exactly what I did, pretty sure I did the save mesh as stl and used it as a preop and morphed to that. Doing it that way I found actually does a better job than morphing to a wax up.

J adams full mouth 2.jpg j Adams Full Mouth 1.jpg

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Soooooooooooooooooooo
Doc sends me digital impressions, patient not prepped yet. Wants a diagnostic wax AND 6 unit PMMA temp bridge shell. I have that PMMA designed but margins are weird and ugly. I saved an stl of the final designed teeth and upper jaw so I could just make the printed model of that to be the DWAX (super easy in 3shape, should be esy in mighty exocad too right)
So I design the model and the final rendering is this holey monstrosity.

1603835433229.png

Why doesn't the software fuse the designed pmma bridge and the model as one solid piece when "Expert(ly) Mode" and right click Save as STL is selected? It plays a mean trick on you cause when you load it, it looks like a solid chunk until you do a cross section.

Who's my answer hero today?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
exocad wigs out like this when you are trying to make a model that has parts on top of parts. it wants to make a model from a single surface. that's whats happened here. it has converted half your model into a single surface and a pile of floaters.

to print this properly, save the design and model as a single stl, then close the hole left by nature of being a digital impression in meshmixer and print a solid model. do not attempt a hollow model. do not try to "make solid" it will just wig out more.

to get this right in exocad you'd need to import the saved scene as a single piece, separate them into bridge and model but keep them in the same space, select the fitting surface of the crowns, select the preps, delete both, then merge them back again into a single file. then you have a shot at model creator not giving you junk. there isn't a real workflow for this that i've seen.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Who's my answer hero today?
3sheep is better at everything! You need to switch back to spare us from your regular b!tching. I bet 3S 2017 is still a solid version? *****************************************************************************************************************************************************.
Model Creator was designed to take IOS and make models from that. It fills holes automatically, develops walls, and generates a useable watertight mesh to print models. How many separate shells are you trying to combine there into one mesh without overlaps, holes, inverted triangles, 4,5? That's a lot of calculations which I'm certain 3S would do in a snap into a printable mesh.

Try saving all of the DX teeth separately as individual stl files. In Model Creator import the preop model as the jaw scan you want to make the model from. Choose plateless model(solid). Generate the solid model of the preop first. Use expert mode to free form the model. In the free form window select ATT. Scroll through the library list to load from file. Select stl for #6, when prompted to rotate or not click yes. Do the same individually for 7-11. You should have a decent mesh. If you now want that mesh hollow for printing save it as stl and reimport in model creator as asiga or nextdent model to render a hollow mesh.

There are other resources to find answers to problems you have with exocad, but I assure you, you will get more replies using honey than vinegar. There are unofficial work arounds, xml edits, and homemade hacks for nearly any obstacle you encounter.

If you can figure how to get a solid model of your dx to work, it would be possible to edit the bottom off and import that as the jaw scan to make shell temps of your dx work up.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
so generate the model from the scan first, then add the teeth as attachments? hm interesting, never seen that before.

Top Bottom