Medit/exocad Pains

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like exo has made anything easier since you started 2th, still need to hit walls and lose hours to learn.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Vhk9HwPx3TO0w" width="480" height="276" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like exo has made anything easier since you started 2th, still need to hit walls and lose hours to learn.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Vhk9HwPx3TO0w" width="480" height="276" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

I used different CAD programs before exocad so I was not a novice when I got in the game. I had exocad for a week or so before I got my training and used the exowiki to get familiar with the basic steps and wrote down all the questions I needed answers to. My initial training was great (Thanks Jake!) all my questions at the time were answered. I never had trouble with the basic functions of exocad, I found it quite intuitive compared to the other software I was using at the time, and all of my questions afterward were specific to the problems I needed solutions to, i.e solid titanium abutments from IO scans, models, etc are some of the things I had to figure out. There was nothing back then and most people who knew were not sharing.

Put your big boy lab smock on, buckle down and move forward. Or put your tail between your legs, get your wallet out and got back to the Danes.
In this or life in general I have found there is no going back, only moving forward.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Riley
Thanks Larry. This is what I need done for all my questions. I did all that but how was I to know that going through crown bottoms and even changing the spacing wouldn't adapt to the new prep????? Did all you exocader's get trained that way or is it just common sense?!?
The other thing I don't understand is why so complex? Does it really help in designing a crown to have to click through so many things? good ol 3shape was just hit the back arrow two or three times, make the change then click the forward arrow two or three times. No turning on a different design mode, right clicking in certain areas for different menus, turning off certain visuals and parts, then knowing to bump the margin a teeny bit for things to reapply.
Sorry, wrong time to complain.
Larry that truly was so helpful and I greatly appreciate it! I really really do.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-nAzYXOfcnRogIqAQJwKA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwC-zGjZoeaWk67rpsgKZuA

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=exocad

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Riley,
When I first started out with my Medit scanner, Exocad, and Collab, I too was frustrated. My only CAD/CAM experience before this was using an E4D system. They are mostly dumby proof, so learning Exocad was a huge step. I didn't realize, until I knew more of what I was doing in Exocad, that at my original training session they sucked. It sounds like this may be your case too.
I recommend that you change your re-seller support, if you can this early on, adn get re-trained. It may make your life and purchase much less stressful.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
As a trainer for new into digital techs - It can be very difficult. I've had techs and Dr.'s walk in and say to "just show me how to design an arch" which just boggles the mind, then theirs even when I go step by step.

My training regime to help people.
1) DB - what to enter, and when, shortcut keys to make it faster
2) Scanning in ColLab. What options, what to scan when, how to scan, tips for getting harder areas. ;)
3) SINGLE UNIT. Learn how to place that tooth, get used to the movement in a digital space, learn the tools, tell them to get a feel for it.
4) 3 Unit bridge - learn the placement with extra teeth, if they seem to learn it quickly, you get to see the chain mode tool as well (otherwise it's info overload)

DAY 2 (yeah - you can't learn digital or a new software in 1 day)
1) pop quiz - enter in a single unit case, scan, and design on your own
2) learn the cutbacks
3) design a bridge again (chain mode this time if not 1st),show all the hotkeys again for designing (freeforming hot keys, placement hotkeys, etc)
4) Stress that they cannot immediately do this perfectly, they will get it though
5) show them every step and explain it like analog and how it correlates. This is just like waxing, you're just looking at a screen the whole time, and you don't have to build up the wax for a crown.

If they want "expert" training for expert mode, quick pathways, implants, etc. If they don't pick it up quickly, they have to come back. Learning this stuff isn't easy, but if your trainer equates it to your analog style, then it becomes a lot easier in my mind.

I've had someone tell me they let the software place the tooth in 3Shape hit the "adapt" buttons for everything, then send it on for milling. sure it works, ugliest work imaginable though. Designing with a little effort in 3Shape though can still be good. Same can be true to Exocad. You can "follow the yellow brick road" (wizard) as I call it, keep hitting next, then smash those adapt keys (with pull to contacts set first) - and you're "golden". 💩

That is NOT what Exocad is for though.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
So I made it through a design and realized I didn't have enough space. Doc says to reduce prep. so i says to myself i says, "delete merged parts, go to expert and free form scan data." wouldn't let me unless I deleted constructed parts. So Bite the bullet and do it. Now I can virtually reduce the prep. Sadly I have to redesign. So I mill it and find out when I redid crown bottoms it didn't adapt to the newly reduced prep. So i have to remill. I really don't want to have to delete constructed parts so I can try again to virtual reduce prep. any way to keep the design? Also, why didn't it adapt to reduced prep? I can see where it I reduced and I can see how the crown follows the pre-virtual prep when I do a cut view
2th/zero/user hit it spot on.
Riley....man.....this is a TRAINING ISSUE!!!!! find someone to train you properly and forget the piss poor training youve gotten thus far. smh
its great having the group here to spitball ideas and troubleshoot issues...but you need real training 1 on 1 with someone that knows what they are doing.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I think at this point, Riley needs to cut his losses and shop for a used 3Shape and stick with what hes familiar with.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I think at this point, Riley needs to cut his losses and shop for a used 3Shape and stick with what hes familiar with.
I respectfully disagree. With some real training and some guidance afterward he should be able to conquer most challenges.
$0.02

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Ok. i screwed up. Haven't found anything on wiki or youtube to solve my issue. I have a screw retained crown. I accidentally called it a pre fab/mill ti abutment. There doesn't seem to be a way to go back and change it to a Ti Base without deleting all the design work. Can anyone do that without deleting all my designing?

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Hello again Riley, glad to see you're hanging in there with it. I know in the new build you can definitely do that, so long as the implant company has the correct compatibility information in the file. You may need to delete constructed parts, but after that, right click the implant and you'll get an option that says something about changing compatible library. (It's a brand new feature so I don't have it memorized yet).

The other possibility if they don't have it set up is : Save the scene as an STL (right click in the background and click save scene, then change the type to stl) with only your crown design and the jaw scan to align it again. Then restart the design from scan data, and immediately go to expert mode: tools, add/remove mesh, add in your saved stl as a waxup. the only thing you'll need to do is make sure it's aligned using the jaw scan, and then edit mesh /delete the excess data. All you should have to do is set up your new implant type, and it will sync down to your margin with no extra design work.

With waxups : the top should be closed (if there's a screw hole cut it out with edit mesh and close holes on the top) and the bottom of the mesh should be open with no excess data (once again cut off the bottom with edit mesh if needed).

Edit mesh trick : if you have floating data, switch the selection type to the most bottom one (says something like select by click on surface) and click the object you want to keep, then crop everything else out.

- Josh

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Hello again Riley, glad to see you're hanging in there with it. I know in the new build you can definitely do that, so long as the implant company has the correct compatibility information in the file. You may need to delete constructed parts, but after that, right click the implant and you'll get an option that says something about changing compatible library. (It's a brand new feature so I don't have it memorized yet).

The other possibility if they don't have it set up is : Save the scene as an STL (right click in the background and click save scene, then change the type to stl) with only your crown design and the jaw scan to align it again. Then restart the design from scan data, and immediately go to expert mode: tools, add/remove mesh, add in your saved stl as a waxup. the only thing you'll need to do is make sure it's aligned using the jaw scan, and then edit mesh /delete the excess data. All you should have to do is set up your new implant type, and it will sync down to your margin with no extra design work.

With waxups : the top should be closed (if there's a screw hole cut it out with edit mesh and close holes on the top) and the bottom of the mesh should be open with no excess data (once again cut off the bottom with edit mesh if needed).

Edit mesh trick : if you have floating data, switch the selection type to the most bottom one (says something like select by click on surface) and click the object you want to keep, then crop everything else out.

- Josh
Woah, that's tricky. I'll give it a shot. next time I ef up. After looking through all options in each step I finally deleted and redesigned.
Thanks as always.
I renewed my 3shape license so I could design the majority there and relieve all the stress I was going through. So, I have a year to get it figured out.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Woah, that's tricky. I'll give it a shot. next time I ef up. After looking through all options in each step I finally deleted and redesigned.
Thanks as always.
I renewed my 3shape license so I could design the majority there and relieve all the stress I was going through. So, I have a year to get it figured out.
[/QUOTE
With the money and time that you've already put into your new system, maybe you should have just paid for some proper training from Josh, he's offered us great support for our CAD/CAM. You are taking the hard road all the way.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
With the money and time that you've already put into your new system, maybe you should have just paid for some proper training from Josh, he's offered us great support for our CAD/CAM. You are taking the hard road all the way.

At this point, I think he did the right thing. He and his lab just needed to be productive, and for now, to work with what they know.
Then work in the training and the after hours and weekends learning curve of scanning and designing.

user name

user name

Reaction score
In other words...Riley isnt fully commited. If he keeps this up he will be.
asylum.jpg

CadCam805

CadCam805

Reaction score
Buy some Zinc Spray or Turn up the light resolution on your scanner

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
anyway to change the color of selected tools from purple and Peach to anything we want? I'd prefer a different set of colors.
1585174999563.png

also my mouse doesn't react to quick clicks. anyway to adjust mouse response speed? I have to stop dead center on an icon click it and release without twitching the mouse. So when trying to work in a normal mode I constantly have to slow down or go back to reclick the icon.

Thanks

Top Bottom