Medit/exocad Pains

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I've just transitioned from blessed 3shape to exocad and medit. It's been a huge pain from the get go of ordering it and it taking nearly three months to get here.
Anyways, I'm going to give my tech support guy a break and ask one of my many questions here. Why won't these holes fill in better? Yes, I do try to add scans to capture them. My 3shape d700 did better!! (the d in d700 stands for dinosaur I think) Implant Holes.png

user name

user name

Reaction score
Change the angle youre scanning from and add an extra scan or two.
When you get some more data in there, tell it to fill the holes.
If you cant get more data to show up, you likely have a reflective surface.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Use a little scan spray. It's surprising how much even a little wil take care of that problem

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Also, how to control the adjustment points when design abutment bottoms, how to go back to a finished scan case to add or redo a scan without deleting everything, etc. I'll keep chucking out questions as they come.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Change the angle youre scanning from and add an extra scan or two.
When you get some more data in there, tell it to fill the holes.
If you cant get more data to show up, you likely have a reflective surface.

As far as I know I'm doing that.
Use a little scan spray. It's surprising how much even a little wil take care of that problem
Spraying it on my pink gingiva

doug

doug

Reaction score
Expert mode will be your best friend. Just remember to merge

user name

user name

Reaction score
Also, how to control the adjustment points when design abutment bottoms, how to go back to a finished scan case to add or redo a scan without deleting everything, etc. I'll keep chucking out questions as they come.
Load the design.
Click expert
delete merged designs
put cursor on the unit you want to modify/left click on a selection from the menu
Click Wizard to remerge the design and save new file.

By adjustment points, are you talking about margin annotations? Click on one to move it any where. Click on the line to add another point. Right click on a point to delete it.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I havent used your scanner, but cant you adjust the cameras exposure to compensate for the ambient light levels in your room?
That might help with capture.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I prefer using liquid, and I haven't used scan spray in years, that should correct the problems.
Once camera exposure of initial scanner setup, whatever its called, no need to adjust again on that scanner..

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
My Medit Hybrid has a fast scan mode and a slower more precise mode. You might want to change to precision mode if not there already. Also use all the disks on the swivel arm to get your model closer to the cameras.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Hello Riley!

Yes, scan spray can definitely help with the gingiva tissue scans. I've played around with a few, and found (hopefully) the better ones. Helling scan spray (3dscanspray.com) leaves an average 2micron layer and comes in large 400ml cans. Sprays on clear, and dries white. Also seen someone start using the snowrock scan powder. From what I've seen, it does a great job, and lasts a long while.

As a heads up, I've used scannable gingiva material as well, so that is a possibility, but at the time, the viscosity made it difficult to handle, and the drying time was longer than normal soft tissue.

With Medit in particular, pay attention in the preview windows of the ColLab2017 software and make sure the camera can see exactly what the main window is looking at (it's occasionally off from what I call the Master view). Double click the main window to have the scanner turn to look at that spot, and you can click one of the two camera previews on a spot that's difficult to see, and it will auto set the exposure rate for the best scan. Also try manually moving the slider. Good general rule of thumb, reflective surfaces, turn down the exposure %, dark areas (pits or interproximals) turn it up ^^^^^

If all else fails in scanning, use the close hole feature after merging in ColLab, or use the edit mesh in the expert mode of Exocad and highlight the area around which you want the close holes to work, and click close holes. (This can close even the bottom of a model). If the close hole doesn't look quite right to the existing contours, you can right click the object again and freeform scan data to freeform it, just like a restoration, how you believe the contour should be.

Hope this helps!
- Josh

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in everyone.
Today's question.
I designed a two central case and milled in wax to discuss and get acceptance from doc before zir milling. Making some changes in design now. I clicked on expert and then free form to make those changes. Once done I needed to click the adjust/cut to opposing and antagonist but it wasn't there??!!?? So I went back to wizard and that took me to the final screen where you can say your done and close. Hitting the back button isn't an option as it's grayed out. So I hit expert again and free form again. Suddenly the cut to antagonist and adjacents is available??? only all the changes I'd made previously are gone. (insert lots of swearing here). This seems to be the norm for me so far. Sometimes things are available to use and other times they are not. Sometimes you can rescan one part of scanned model and sometimes it just erases everything and you have to restart from the beginning.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Wait, I started making changes again after that last post. Somethng new and different. When adding material, it's painting the tooth yellow as I add.........
why????????????????????????????????????????????????
1579540513310.png

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Hello again Riley!

What you're looking at here is you're freeforming the Full anatomic instead of the reduced part, or vice versa. Exocad saves the initial design as full anatomic, then when you reduce it (or not) since it appears to be entered as a coping, it has the cut back area. This makes it so that if you need to change your cutback (say from full metal lingual to only the cingulum or 1/2 lingual) you can quickly change the area without changing the rest of the design.

It's very possible that after you close this out, since you still have a merged restoration, that it will not save any changes, since the final exported design is derived from the finalized cutback design when designing copings.

If you want to make larger changes prior to the reduced step, right click the object you want to change from expert mode, delete constructed parts (be sure it says merged reconstructions) then hit ok. Now when you go to freeform it will allow you to change the anatomic shape, though you will need to go back through the reduction step to save the stl design.

Before you tear apart or delete any parts, I always suggest that you save the scene file. Right click save at the top right, and do a "save as" and name it something memorable (BeforeIMessedItUp). This way even if you are doing a diagnosis on why/when a problem started, you can always load that scene when launching the CADApp and get back to where you started.

As for scanning and losing pieces. If you want to do an "add scan" to close an area, be careful not to hit 1 or rescan, or else you will be prompted to delete the existing scan data.

Being unable to cut to antagonist I wouldn't be able to see for sure why that occurred, most likely because you were freeforming the reduced parts, which was only the facial area if that one was cut back. I don't believe if you freeform reduced parts it allows you to touch or cut back the non reduced area. I'm not 100% on this, I'd have to play with a design and try to recreate what you're describing.

When you right click an object, always check to see what it says at the top of the options pop-up. This can give you a ton of information on what it is you'll be affecting, as well as explain why some options are missing, or why it's reacting differently than what you'd expect.

If you can, more screenshots always help.
- Josh

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Is this a good time to bltch and moan about "iscan"? I mean come on, we are still using ColLab and it's become archaic in many ways. 'iscan' was suppose to be out last summer, then we get a notice saying January 1st...well, it's it's January 20th and now we are being told we aren't sure when it's coming out? I know Medit is all about the i500 right now, which is great...but not everything is or should be clinically scan-able.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Why would anyone use ColLab? Isnt Exoscan easier, more seemless, more user friendly?

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Honestly, Medit is as tight lipped with releases and information as Exocad is. Giving release dates is a huge no no from them. We're the medit repair center in the U.S. and I wasn't even aware iScan was supposed to be a desktop scanner software replacement!

At least they're great scanners ;)

We have a few customers that still swear by Exoscan, I've just always felt better using the base program made for the scanner, rather than relying on extra drivers or some poor programming fellow in a cubicle. Or was the Exoscan comment sarcasm? Need a better text to reality translator haha

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Hey guys, coming in with a lot of anger. What are the steps to scanning an implant case with a scan body so as to actually get contacts of adjacent teeth aas well?
When it wants the "base" scan done of the jaw that has the scan body, do scan with the scan body in it's location? Or do you just scan the model without scan body, then when the scanbody step comes in is that when you do the scan body?
I was taught to scan the "base" with scan body in, then in the scan body step you already have the model and scanbody done so you delete everything there but the scanbody. This works except when you go to design you have no contacts cause the scanner couldn't see them due to the scan body being in the way.
And I still can't get the gingival holes small enough to close decently

After a few weeks the score is
Exocad/Medit:1,794
Riley:0

Top Bottom