Medit/exocad Pains

J

Josh Claxton

Reaction score
Heya Riley! A little late on this, but with Galway + you can also right click teeth that will be preps and convert them to pontics from Expert mode. I've seriously considered telling people to design everything as waxup teeth/pontics instead of using full anatomic just because things rarely line up great.

Once you've converted them you will see the teeth setup will always be pontics, then you can tell it to convert to waxup and they will to sync whatever is closest to the prep to margin.

- josh

P.S. If you're using Sirona's connect case center (I unaffectionately call it C3) You can make it auto-download cases into a folder, which you can then set your Exocad DB to have a watcher on from the DB settings and import cases directly into Exocad. They won't have your naming convention, but if you tell it to export for Exocad / dentalproject files you will also get the Dr.'s questionably marked margins.

It's one of the worst scanners though, just ahead of Shining 3D's monstrosity of a web portal / lack of scan stitching.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Heya Riley! A little late on this, but with Galway + you can also right click teeth that will be preps and convert them to pontics from Expert mode. I've seriously considered telling people to design everything as waxup teeth/pontics instead of using full anatomic just because things rarely line up great.

Once you've converted them you will see the teeth setup will always be pontics, then you can tell it to convert to waxup and they will to sync whatever is closest to the prep to margin.

- josh

P.S. If you're using Sirona's connect case center (I unaffectionately call it C3) You can make it auto-download cases into a folder, which you can then set your Exocad DB to have a watcher on from the DB settings and import cases directly into Exocad. They won't have your naming convention, but if you tell it to export for Exocad / dentalproject files you will also get the Dr.'s questionably marked margins.

It's one of the worst scanners though, just ahead of Shining 3D's monstrosity of a web portal / lack of scan stitching.
Thanks Josh. I've found you can only change to pontics in the crown placement stage in wizard. Pretty stupid.
And my C3 wink files come to the database.

Which actually is why I'm here to ask...sometimes they import and sometimes they don't. Today's medit scan has the margin from the doc but it won't load with the rest of the files when designing!

I O scan not importing margin.png

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thanks Josh. I've found you can only change to pontics in the crown placement stage in wizard. Pretty stupid.
And my C3 wink files come to the database.

Which actually is why I'm here to ask...sometimes they import and sometimes they don't. Today's medit scan has the margin from the doc but it won't load with the rest of the files when designing!

View attachment 40064
Medit scan with holes.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
hello lovers
I don't know why the software won't allow this model to be made with the analog? I've changed emergence line several times from deep inside to outside and everywhere in between. I've also smoothed the entire area. Anyone have suggestions? Model analog problem.png

J

Josh Claxton

Reaction score
If you're putting tissue around it, then it's likely the analog "protected area" or "chimney" whatever's it's called under the first tab on the left. usually starts around .5, which for a round analog is pretty substantial. Likely can cut it down to around .25.

Usually see this when the tissue model design is too close to where the analog is getting cut out. Also doesn't look like you're using the flat gingiva model option? I would suggest it for implant models, unless you're not using Galway+. maybe Plovdiv has it as well.. hmm.

J

Josh Claxton

Reaction score
For the margin : when you load in scans manually they don't load those files in as well; you have to set the case up to auto-import the scans and .xyz margin file. This requires the proper naming format (explained below). also if you have to change the name of imported medit cases, they don't auto-update naming parts of the scans to match the new naming convention.

take the .dentalproject file name (everything before the .dentalproject of it) that is the "case identifier" if you paste that into the front of the name of the meshes and margin files in this type of format:

First_last-upperjaw.stl (if First_last is everything before .dentalproject) then that will automatically load the -upperjaw.stl when you load from scan data.

margins work the same, but require the ADA numbering tooth position, and .xyz format. so it's format for a tooth #8 universal would look like...

First_last-11-margin.xyz the -11-margin.xyz tells it that it's for tooth 11 ADA (#8),is the -margin, and the .xyz is just the file format type.
Dies will also require this -11.stl on the end to denote it's only for that tooth. You can use this if someone scans the dies in the wrong order and it won't let you select the correct margin. Like tooth 8&9 are swapped. change the -21 and -11 around between them.

It's all fairly logical once you understand the naming format and what-not. Just gotta start digging into the back end

Edit : it maaaaaay be First_last-margin-11.xyz file. not 100% sure

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I've got this new fun thing happening where parts of the model disappear when going to the final save stage. Cant figure out why. I've tried moving attachments to different positions.
1701106086001.png

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Seriously though, did you try the slider at the top left that says maxillary model? :cool:

Top Bottom