MDT???

C

careywhiteman

Reaction score
What is the difference between a CDT and a MDT?

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
I wonder if it is Master Dental Technition? Someone who has a CDT in all five specialties.

Cade

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
The CDT is offered from NADL. It offers certifications through testing in five catagories; complete dentures, partial dentures, crown and bridge, ceramics, and orthodontics. This program needs credits every year to maintain your certification.

The ASMDT is a program offered at New York University were you learn credentials which display competency in all technological categories, as well as in the basic sciences associated with dentistry, also learning the science of the Stomatognathic System. This is not a credit driven certification.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Spread the word Travis!!! Be proud! I just let everyone know that YOU ARE STUDYING TO BECOME A MDT!!!!! Not many of them out there, I think its great your doing this.

wlessley

wlessley

Reaction score
A Master CDT is denoted not by "MDT" but by Master CDT.

William Lessley
National Association of Dental Laboratories (NADL)
National Board for Certification in Dental Laboratory Technology (NBC)
Foundation for Dental Laboratory Technology (FDLT)
[email protected]
800-950-1150

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
MY father and I both completed our MDT at NYU in 2006, it is a year long class that meets every other saturday for the full day. you have many extra hours of studying the art of proper occulision and mandibular physiology. A full mouth wax is constructed by each student using the principals you learn in class. Before completion of the class you take a written exam,a oral exam infront of a board of 7 examiners, they also go over and critque your wax up during your oral exam. You will gain a wealth of knowledge taking this class, I know i did- please visit the web site ASMDT.com for more info
Thank you
Greg Amendola MDT

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
MDT is also a designation in Germany that indicates a degree, its awarding allows the bearer to own a laboratory in that country. The ASMDT in the US only indicates participation in a continuing education program. It is not a degree, nor is it a recognized certification.
That said, it is still an excellent educational program.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This is how you raise the bar with China,not the NADL in my opinion.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
This is how you raise the bar with China,not the NADL in my opinion.

Jealousy is a petty emotion. Why don't you just move to the US instead of always lobbing snowballs over the fence?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What fence ? We share an open boarder and are each others biggest trading partner.

You have heard of free trade I hope.

This post is about the MDT designation.I thought you were in favour that?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
What fence ? We share an open boarder and are each others biggest trading partner.

You have heard of free trade I hope.

This post is about the MDT designation.I thought you were in favour that?

I am in favor of only credentialed technicians owning labs. If the MDT is deemed acceptable for that (and I think it should be),I'm all over the idea.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
The CDT is offered from NADL. It offers certifications through testing in five catagories; complete dentures, partial dentures, crown and bridge, ceramics, and orthodontics. This program needs credits every year to maintain your certification.

The ASMDT is a program offered at New York University were you learn credentials which display competency in all technological categories, as well as in the basic sciences associated with dentistry, also learning the science of the Stomatognathic System. This is not a credit driven certification.

I believe that have added a 6th category in there now. Implants!

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Book smarts useless if you have no artistic talent. So, make sure you also include art classes in there IMHO, like painting, drawing, sculpting, photography, glass blowing :) etc.

rex
------

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Mountain Daylight time is 6 hrs off greenwich, where Central Daylight is only 5.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
From my experience, and not only in this field. I'm talking about life. Either you have it or you dont.
If your a CDT or MDT I could really care less. Anyone can goto school and do homework. In the end
CAN YOU DO YOUR JOB? The answer is more often than not, NOPE! I've worked with too many people
in too many fields who were certified or, "The Best." But they still couldn't do their jobs. A long time ago
there was no such CERT for dental techs. Then some guys wised up and turned worthless paper into
profit by basically, selling certs. I dont want to play that game.

Either you have it or you dont. CDT? MDT? pfffff GET BACK TO WORK!

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I am in favor of only credentialed technicians owning labs. If the MDT is deemed acceptable for that (and I think it should be),I'm all over the idea.

so only CDTs or MDTs owning labs?
just because they have the letters doesnt mean a thing about the ability, class, quality, or knowledge of what they are doing........clear proof is DMD, DDS, etc. just because they paid their dues to practice doesnt mean they do a good job.
not that im completely opposed to it, but seriously......some guy got his CDT 35years ago and has done nothing but pay his yearly dues to keep it. hes more qualified than the hard working guy down the block that has kept up with Pankey, Kois, LVI, technology, info, etc etc? on top of that, have you seen the CDT tests? not only are they minimally practical in todays dental technology world, but they are greatly outdated as well. (last i saw anyway)

im certain more would be apt to agree with you if the "certification" actually MEANT SOMETHING more than just paying dues to another business.

prob just my 2 unwanted cents :)

*edit* just to prove the point further, i know of at least a handful of CDTs that do not file any required CE credits to keep their CDT active. they just send the fees in.

Last edited:
Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
School is the foundation a career is built on. It shows a willingness and understanding that the sacrifice is part of the right of passage to the next step of your career as a dental tech. Credentialing is a way of showing that you can at least operate at the minimum the testing bar is set for those letters behind your name.

These are the things that separate the professionals from the Hoi Palloi.

I do not want my heart surgeon or even my dentist to have been only OJT trained.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
School is the foundation a career is built on. It shows a willingness and understanding that the sacrifice is part of the right of passage to the next step of your career as a dental tech. Credentialing is a way of showing that you can at least operate at the minimum the testing bar is set for those letters behind your name.

These are the things that separate the professionals from the Hoi Palloi.

I do not want my heart surgeon or even my dentist to have been only OJT trained.

agreed there 100%, im not saying that certifying is a bad thing......im just saying the CDT for techs is a load of bullshhh no matter which way you slice it. lol
furthermore, having a lab owner thats certified doesnt mean your work will be completed by a certified tech, not does it mean that the certification will have any bearing in the least upon the work
its like having that lovely heart surgeon (or dentist) with their cert but the office staff does all the work.

get the point yet?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Just looked into the MDT program here in Switzerland, its around $25000 for the year program... Not worth 3 letters.