Margin Marking

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Hello all, I am having troubles reading margins from intra oral scans(3shape). I have asked the dr's to pack cord, use laser, etc. I use Exocad and they are using Trios., if they mark the margin in there software, is there a way for me to import it? I have included a scan I sent pic to Dr. this is by far not the worst we see? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Now for the rant part.....These Damn manufacturers keep shoving this digital #$#@ down the throats of labs from dr's who should not be using it as they have no responsibility for the outcome. They say, well 3Shape said that they should be fine etc., if the lab cannot read its becuase they are incompetent or not using our latest software or our software blah blah. i am reconsidering the remake policy of old. I know if I search I can find the wording someone mentioned you could include by the signature on the RX? I want to include some phrasing akin to " By signing this I understand that the lab will proceed with the approved impression/Scan I have provided. Crowns that fit the model/scan provided will not be remade at no charge!" Inspect the crap before you send it to us! I am so sick of babysitting these offices. It's only getting worse, and i cannot stand remaking crowns when they fit the impression they sent just fine. Am I alone or do others see this as a neccessary evil of our industry? Screenshot_2021-03-02 IMG_5066 jpg (JPEG Image, 1574 × 2100 pixels) — Scaled (37%).png

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Sorry for the grainy image I will try to post some clearer shots when time allows. How about some of you digital experts, I am sure you must have examples of poor scans?? Thanks in ADVANCE As always!!!

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Many times I send the scan back if I can’t read the margin, case disapproved

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I worked very hard to get my drs on board with IOS.
I invested in the technology and developed a business model to reflect what the future will require.
This involved hands on training and a commitment to the process.
I have encountered many drs either sceptical or resistant to make the transition. They are a lost cause to me.

I also have encountered more drs that want to use IOS but have limited digital experience and training.

Unfortunately, most lab owners are relying on sales reps to make their life easier.
Trios is very accurate and you need to learn how to use it.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
the problem many dentists are busy and they don’t have the time to do the scan themselves and they rely on assistances and forget to check the scan before they send out and that’s what we end up with, most likely the preparation is good but the scan is terrible , let them rescan

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Most drs won't let their assistants touch their 40K scanner. Too many fumbles and repair costs.
They havn't changed their prep and retraction techniques and can no longer rely on the light body to isolate the margins.
They shouldn't have to mark the margins.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I go to some offices and what I see the assistants are doing the scans

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
some do but I train the drs first.
Assistants are not the ones prepping or retracting which is where the problem lies.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry for the grainy image I will try to post some clearer shots when time allows. How about some of you digital experts, I am sure you must have examples of poor scans?? Thanks in ADVANCE As always!!!

It reminds me of this pic my doc sent me several years back. If anyone can tell what it is , pat yourself on the back.
I let iterror mark margins from the one office I receive scan cases from. Half come with a warning to send back for review. WTH. And all I hear is how great everything is. What am I missing ?
At least we should never run out of work with all the redos in a couple years.☺️

oh yeah, and expasil is not our friend!

5DCB2A7B-06E6-472A-BB0D-7A5883A96102.jpeg

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Trios is very accurate and you need to learn how to use it.
Trios is very good at making up for missing data and create esthetically pleasing scans. Dr's think everything is alright on their end, putting labs at fault. Not sure if it's the hardware or incompetence. Got tired trying to prove some scans were inaccurate... I refused accepting scans form a few places. Not worth the headache... Stupid
trios.jpeg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Trios is very good at making up for missing data and create esthetically pleasing scans. Dr's think everything is alright on their end, putting labs at fault. Not sure if it's the hardware or incompetence. Got tired trying to prove some scans were inaccurate... I refused accepting scans form a few places. Not worth the headache... Stupid
View attachment 38036
I'm really good at drawing arrows with a mouse.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Write a policy regarding margin marking etc, put the onus on the doctors. Their life is more convenient using IOS. One reason scanner manufacturers don't provide a file for margin marking?, maybe it just isn't up to the job of accurate data capture? Maybe the operator isn't competent to get a dry field and isolate the margin, maybe the patient is a bleeder, gagger, has macroglossia, or is just plain difficult??
Maybe the software just auto-closes holes to lead the blind??
What was your policy for traditional impressions? Free remakes?
At the risk of sounding like a KIADB, do not enable the slackers. Set standards, be willing to weed out the weak and let them send to the big labs who send off shore. Let the big labs absorb the excess mileage on the leather Cheerio.
There are clients out there looking for you. One of the hardest parts of this business is connecting with the right people to work with. You are wishing for them and they are hoping to find you.
Sorry for the rant as I step off of my broken down used soap box. 😣

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Set standards, be willing to weed out the weak and let them send to the big labs who send off shore. Let the big labs absorb the excess mileage on the leather Cheerio.
There are clients out there looking for you. One of the hardest parts of this business is connecting with the right people to work with. You are wishing for them and they are hoping to find you.
This is the hardest thing to learn to actually do in this business.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm afraid to ask what a leather cheerio is ?

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
try turning on trusmile. helps a lot in some situations