Lower Williams Fixed Appliance. constant band splitting issue.

B

bentwire42

Reaction score
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with lower Williams Appliances. I make a fair amount and recently i have been having too many sent back with one of the bands splitting near the weld. I think it may be a torque issue as the screw is expanding which is putting too make pressure on the weld and breaking.

Any help would be appreciated.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with lower Williams Appliances. I make a fair amount and recently i have been having too many sent back with one of the bands splitting near the weld. I think it may be a torque issue as the screw is expanding which is putting too make pressure on the weld and breaking.

Any help would be appreciated.
Purely a guess, but I'm guessing that the bands are partially heat treating and the force is not absorbed as you are expecting.

Any chance you're blowing your welds cold or anything other than just sitting it to the side to let it air cool slowly?

B

bentwire42

Reaction score
Hmm interesting. Was not aware cooling the welds too quickly weakens the weld. It could potentially be the type of band. Are heat treated bands what i should be using? Would you be able to link a good Flux solder combo that you know is good?

Thank you

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad weld if it breaks at the weld. What else could it be? If you do a lot of them, why not get some type of welder?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hmm interesting. Was not aware cooling the welds too quickly weakens the weld. It could potentially be the type of band. Are heat treated bands what i should be using? Would you be able to link a good Flux solder combo that you know is good?

Thank you
Cooling too quickly hardens non-precsious metal, softens precious metals.

SO, if the bands are being cooled to quick (quenching by air or water) the metal becomes harder in that area, making it more brittle.
If the rest of the band is not as strong, it will tear the weaker metal where they merge, which is exactly what you are describing.

For ortho? Not one clue.

Get a proper welder soon as you can if you don't have one. It is fundamental to your business and will see speed boosts in your day.