Losing money

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Plan on having a waiting list of high paying clients and work back from there. I asked if you had charted out the dips in production because that is common. Many businesses where Im at are seasonal, either winter or summer, and it balances out to where some people that work hard for 6 months in summer, can ski all winter and still have an income.
Jan and feb have typically been the slow months for me.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Included in the plan to have a waiting list of clients should also be set vacation time, because once youre that busy and you need it the most, you never take one. At least in my experience..

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Included in the plan to have a waiting list of clients should also be set vacation time, because once youre that busy and you need it the most, you never take one. At least in my experience..
Yeah that’s kinda the thing. The pressures of self employment are largely being put on me already. No time for vacation. And I’m really not being pd enough to afford one anyhow. Some might say ‘find somewhere else to work.’ Believe me , I’ve been around. I’d love to be one of these denture guys that takes vacations and makes money though. That’d be pretty cool.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
We all create our own reality, whether we realize it or not. If you say "no time for vacation" it is your reality. Not trying to be a guru, speaking to myself too, Im guilty of this.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah that’s kinda the thing. The pressures of self employment are largely being put on me already. No time for vacation. And I’m really not being pd enough to afford one anyhow. Some might say ‘find somewhere else to work.’ Believe me , I’ve been around. I’d love to be one of these denture guys that takes vacations and makes money though. That’d be pretty cool.
If you don't take time for yourself you will burn out. It happens to a lot of small business owners.

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
We all create our own reality, whether we realize it or not. If you say "no time for vacation" it is your reality. Not trying to be a guru, speaking to myself too, Im guilty of this.
It is tough to justify vacations when the Lab is full of unfinished work.
My approach has always been a clear communication with the client. If you tell them ahead of time, they can organize their schedule, if they are willing to. I am fortunate enough that my clients understand that. They may send some cases to their other labs, in the meanwhile, but I have never lost a client just because I dared to go on vacations!

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Special DLN discount at your cottage?!

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Hey guru’s fine w me. I get what you’re saying. I’ve definitely grown more into the ‘work hard play hard’ mentality the last few years. Part of my deal is I don’t yet feel like I deserve a vacation. Playing a lot of catch up in life. And, this idea I have about growing the lab is part of creating my own reality.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
What do we consider a ‘good account’? My opinion, one that pays his bill without whining and doesn’t expect free sh$&. I’m in a geographically isolated area w a population of about 25k people (boss doc tells me the draw is more like 100k people). There’s this office, and a handful of single independent docs. There’s one other place like this in town, multi doc office, high producers. That’s the one I’d like to get. One other little lab in town, not a great rep.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I consider a good account someone with a friendly staff, someone who actually engages you when you come in, pays bills, and is open and honest, whether good or bad. Clients that just see you as the 'lab guy' and not a first name basis... 🚩🚩 Its taken me a long time to realize this, but when you have a good account, you will do anything to keep them, and they will see that and make sure you get your time off. Ive never had anyone give me a hard time for taking time off. Drs are probably 3rd in vacation time to teachers and politicians.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I consider a good account someone with a friendly staff, someone who actually engages you when you come in, pays bills, and is open and honest, whether good or bad. Clients that just see you as the 'lab guy' and not a first name basis... 🚩🚩 Its taken me a long time to realize this, but when you have a good account, you will do anything to keep them, and they will see that and make sure you get your time off. Ive never had anyone give me a hard time for taking time off. Drs are probably 3rd in vacation time to teachers and politicians.
Whatever, you've been calling me 'labguy' for years. ;)

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
This probably goes without saying but the best time to take vacations is when the doctors do. Not to base all aspects of life, personal and business, on what the doctors do but it honestly is one of the best methods for planning vacations. Doctors just like us have children. They just like us plan their vacations around the school calendar. So the three best times to take vacation are Spring Break, 4th of July week and Christmas/ New Years week. Even if they only take one or two days off for the holiday celebrations (they take more believe me) they won’t feel as grouchy because it’s really only a half week your not open.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I take my vacation in the last 2 weeks of July when the wild raspberries and black caps are ripe.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I usually take my vacation the first week of January. Why?...because everything in the lab is caught up and ahead because the Docs took the previous week or two off of work. Therefore, that week they are just getting back to work and getting things going. It's a great time to take vacation because the kids are back to school and resorts/cruises usually have big discounts since demand is low.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Don't forget bankers.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback.