Looking into buying a Scanner

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Im looking into buying a desktop scanner for the lab. Where should I start? What do each of you recommend based on your experience. Should I go with 3shape, exocad, dental wings, ect ect. I need support from a re seller that WILL be there when I need them. I have experience with the Planscan and Romexis (Very simple workflow IMO) Which was purchased through Henry Shein and they have done a great job helping me get along when I Need them. Looking to get something that I can have up and running in a short amount of time. I want to do more than single unit and bridges. I would like to get into partial framework design, custom abutments, digital dentures and more. Basically Im looking for the best system that can do the most and at a good price. Any insight from DLN would be greatly appreciated.

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
I am in the process of selling my Cercon Eye scanner and buying a 3Shape D2000 or old generation 810

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
It sounds like techs have a love/hate relationship with 3shape at times. Ive heard of other scanners and design software its just hard to decide on which one to choose when you find so many different reviews.

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
If anyone has any links to videos or webpages with good info. That would help a lot

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
exocad will cost you around 10,500 for just the cad,implant ,and articulator modules
add 1500 for bars,etc

temps are extra

http://exocad.com/our-products/dental-cad/

I don't think I paid that much for 3 shape software.

Last edited:
Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
We started with Cercon ages ago. I'd been using Schuetz Tizian successfully after that fpr 8 or 9 years. It's based off of Exocad and works well but if you're in the US, tech support can be difficult as they're based in Germany and last I knew there's no actual support in the US other than other users.
We just got Dental Wings with a Roland mill. While it's very different than Tizian, it's still a good system and I've had no problems getting answers when I need them.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Hell, its just a Fad.... Laugh

Seriously, read as many post on scanners and call several DLN labs to learn first hand what to buy and who
to buy from.......
There are several DLN Sponsors that sell scanners and EXTREMELY helpful...

CAP is one company that sells both 3shape and Exocad.... that's a good starting point !
Better yet if you go to CAP you could test drive both CAD programs...

fyi There's no correct answer on which system to buy unless its all about the $$ going in.
fyi 2 Chicago's show is the best place to see it All and buy at a saving for sure.....Start there if at all possible !

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Im leaning more towards 3shape. It seems like they have what im looking for as far as the different design programs go. I also want to go with a company that I can stay with for many years. Which scanner would be better for a small lab looking at getting into the digital workflow.

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
I also want to be able to accept files from other DR's and Labs which I know 3shape can handle.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Scanners... where do you start?
Everyone will tell you something different... BUT

You have really the Big 3 Choices...

3Shape based
exocad based ( this includes many scanners )
Dental Wings based

Others available include ( Scanner and software solution) They are growing ..so watch them...

Maestro 3D
Heraeus...formerly EGS
Others..

3 Shape will give you a turnkey system
exaocad will give you choice and lots of it ...so lots of scanner choice...LOTS
Dental Wings will give you an alternate turnkey system..

So work out who you are... do you want to be the person that just needs a turnkey solution that you think most people use? Thats OK
OR
Do you want to get to know your stuff and be flexible... you know mess with it put it together...

OR
Do you want to be a bit different and use an alternate turkey system.... thats fine too

All scanners these days are really good.. so you don't have to worry... OMG is it accurate enough... it's like splitting hairs..I love hearing ...

" my scanner is better than your scanner" LOL

Software is great too... but all have bugs!!! just some less than others...and sorry..you will have to work that one out for yourself.....he he

My First scanner was a 3 Shape D 250... double firewire... the bloody serial cable etc etc great for its time... it was actually really enough... for most stuff ...when it worked!

ALL scanners are way beyond that now... way, way beyond and for most things more than adequate. All C and B , inlays inlays Veneers, most implant work... Of course "maybe" not for high end machine shop stuff such as complex bars... .. well you get it I'm sure..you need industrial scanner. But you don't buy one just outsource if you want.

So work out what you want to do, how steep you want the learning curve to be... what the budget is and dive in... its FUN !

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Scanners... where do you start?
Everyone will tell you something different... BUT

You have really the Big 3 Choices...

3Shape based
exocad based ( this includes many scanners )
Dental Wings based

Others available include ( Scanner and software solution) They are growing ..so watch them...

Maestro 3D
Heraeus...formerly EGS
Others..

3 Shape will give you a turnkey system
exaocad will give you choice and lots of it ...so lots of scanner choice...LOTS
Dental Wings will give you an alternate turnkey system..

So work out who you are... do you want to be the person that just needs a turnkey solution that you think most people use? Thats OK
OR
Do you want to get to know your stuff and be flexible... you know mess with it put it together...

OR
Do you want to be a bit different and use an alternate turkey system.... thats fine too

All scanners these days are really good.. so you don't have to worry... OMG is it accurate enough... it's like splitting hairs..I love hearing ...

" my scanner is better than your scanner" LOL

Software is great too... but all have bugs!!! just some less than others...and sorry..you will have to work that one out for yourself.....he he

My First scanner was a 3 Shape D 250... double firewire... the bloody serial cable etc etc great for its time... it was actually really enough... for most stuff ...when it worked!

ALL scanners are way beyond that now... way, way beyond and for most things more than adequate. All C and B , inlays inlays Veneers, most implant work... Of course "maybe" not for high end machine shop stuff such as complex bars... .. well you get it I'm sure..you need industrial scanner. But you don't buy one just outsource if you want.

So work out what you want to do, how steep you want the learning curve to be... what the budget is and dive in... its FUN !

Thanks for the insight Terry. Each do have pros and cons. The fact that they are all so advanced now and very similar is what makes this a hard decision. It seems like the best thing to do is just get some hands on experience on each system first. I have the time and drive to figure out the systems so the learning curve is not a concern of mine. I just want to make the right investment that will be profitable for many years to come. I don't want to purchase something and 1-2 years later want the next new up and coming program.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Im leaning more towards 3shape. It seems like they have what im looking for as far as the different design programs go. I also want to go with a company that I can stay with for many years. Which scanner would be better for a small lab looking at getting into the digital workflow.
Strictly talking small lab, Scanners with Exocad are much cheaper, and for updating the software. 3shape requires you to update yearly,,, renewed License fee. Exocad is not required.
Exocad Update cost which you will want is aprox 50% cheaper. My Update is coming up in April or May,,,, $1100.00 and Yes I'm looking forward to getting this update
since I want the latest improvements and new features when there released through out the next 12 months.
fyi Exocad is coming out with a new Denture program.... not a denture guy so I don't know the latest !
btw.... I'm an Exocad user and several dln members have changed from 3SHAPE to Exocad and several have changed from Exocad to 3shape...
Like I said, no correct answer, its all about preference to the particular Cad program.
Most importantly ! its all about who you buy from, not the price up front ! You will hear of many unhappy users on both sides of the isle ;) or even the 3rd isle of Dental Wings....

Last edited:
Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
As i said.... you have to work out what you want.

But always go with a company that gives you the best support.

That is king...sure everyone wants to save a buck...me too... but never at the sacrafice of good service and support..

AND here is the clincher... dental technology people are always hands on people... we know how to fix mostly anything, (usually with a bit of special tray material)!
However in the digital age..with software and complex machines we need help. Get the right help first...and it may not be the "cheapest".

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
As i said.... you have to work out what you want.

But always go with a company that gives you the best support.

That is king...sure everyone wants to save a buck...me too... but never at the sacrafice of good service and support..

AND here is the clincher... dental technology people are always hands on people... we know how to fix mostly anything, (usually with a bit of special tray material)!
However in the digital age..with software and complex machines we need help. Get the right help first...and it may not be the "cheapest".

That one of my major concerns. Who are the most reputable re sellers? I don't want to be left high and dry when I encounter a problem. If I have to pay more to have the service I need that is not a problem. Like I said I want to make the right investment. Support is what I need when learning the program. The people over at Planmeca helped me so much when I was learning the Planscan and Romexis system. I want to be able to call and have someone solve my problems with ease that day. So paying extra for support is apart of my budget.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Maybe go to a show like Chicago Midwinter in Feb and meet people... great way to see everything and meet people.
I don't know where you are in the world but would be good if you could go .

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Maybe go to a show like Chicago Midwinter in Feb and meet people... great way to see everything and meet people.
I don't know where you are in the world but would be good if you could go .

Im located in SC. I don't think I will be able to make it to Chicago in Feb. but you never know. I will be looking into getting some hands on experience before I purchase.

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
I do appreciate everyone's comments. Please continue to post. We will continue this conversation on Monday.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Get a Exocad trial Dongel ( around 100 Euro) and try it out you can see what you need or not ask Dental Wings and 3 shape too but dont think they have , you can play your whole live but only without saving. And for the start a good basic video from medit

http://meditblog.com/blog/2015/12/28/exocad-3-unit-with-virtual-articulator-1630

for the medit guys change the crap standard background and antagonist colors , you get head sick.

Last edited:
RDA

RDA

Reaction score
That one of my major concerns. Who are the most reputable re sellers? I don't want to be left high and dry when I encounter a problem. If I have to pay more to have the service I need that is not a problem. Like I said I want to make the right investment. Support is what I need when learning the program. The people over at Planmeca helped me so much when I was learning the Planscan and Romexis system. I want to be able to call and have someone solve my problems with ease that day. So paying extra for support is apart of my budget.
Talk to Dan at Praxis, he can answer a lot of your questions. They have great support too, and are one of DLN's sponsors. http://www.praxisdds.com/

Top Bottom