Looking for thermoplastic night guard material suggestions.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
We've been using the eclipse resilient night guard system with light cure units for a long time and have been getting GREAT results, unfortunately the company discontinued them. We're bummed!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not wax/pack and we don't have cad/cam.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Honestly, we're in a similar boat but haven't come across any light cured options...we're investing as we did with our other hard nightguards.

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
I use Duran 1.5mm from greatlakes and their clear mono/poly. After some rouge- they come out looking like glass but durable/ relineable with acrylic, the best part? super cheap to make

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Primotec Splint +1! Been using for prolly 10 years. Quick and convenient. Expensive to get in Canada tho.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Primotec Splint +1! Been using for prolly 10 years. Quick and convenient. Expensive to get in Canada tho.
I agree fully but only issue is doc's, patients expect clear. Rational by Primotec is truley sound, making chairside adjustments is so much easier for Dr.
with Less clear material. Certainly not meant to be an "Esthetic 1st" treatment device. That should be understood easily by patients, one would think. Really depends how its "Sold" in the dental office to begin with.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You all are really using that primosplint stuff? I bought it when it first came out, and have never had luck with it. Its terribly sensitive to handling, it cracks when you mold it, and its expensive compared to suckdown material. I thought that stuff was a major dud, interesting to hear its still being used. I ended up using it for abutment jigs..

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
We bought the erkodent system, Glidewell liked it too I guess because they bought the whole dam company. Its nice for those Docs that like hard outside, soft inside. If our Docs want something hard inside and hard outside we will just mill them a Clear splint (astron).

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Well that brings up a different question then. I wasn’t aware there was a puck for ClearSplint. How many splints per pick do you get? How does it compare in cost? Is it still soak in hot water to get flexible before insertion?
Is the erkodent system better than say a Biostar? Cause I was contemplating a Biostar, but a local lab guy mentioned Erkodent has a thermo former as well.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Well that brings up a different question then. I wasn’t aware there was a puck for ClearSplint. How many splints per pick do you get? How does it compare in cost? Is it still soak in hot water to get flexible before insertion?
Is the erkodent system better than say a Biostar? Cause I was contemplating a Biostar, but a local lab guy mentioned Erkodent has a thermo former as well.
I can't remember how much they are off the top of my head...I think they were under $50/puck. You normally get two out of it unless you have a case where he is part neanderthal!!! Yes, it's flexible in hot water as well like the heat cure stuff. As for erkodent, I don't know the Biostar system. I know to get erkodent, call Glidewell and the machine is 2-3k and then you order your disks from there. Pretty good selection of different sizes and colors.

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
You all are really using that primosplint stuff? I bought it when it first came out, and have never had luck with it. Its terribly sensitive to handling, it cracks when you mold it, and its expensive compared to suckdown material. I thought that stuff was a major dud, interesting to hear its still being used. I ended up using it for abutment jigs..
I like the primo splint material. But it’s not clear. That’s the issue for most docs/patients. I don’t know why other than vanity in my opinion. I use one every night. Could care less if it’s clear or otherwise. It works as it was intended. That’s what matters. What do I know? Lol.
Anyhow maybe you had an old batch? I have had cracky a little bit but nothing that affected the outcome or integrity.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
We have been printing our hard splints since Formlabs got their material approved. Just started printing our thermoflex type with Keystone splint. We do our hard/soft on our erkodent. With that machine you can imprint your bite while the material is still soft. Don’t think you can do that on the biostar unit.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I was told by primotec that it was a bad batch, even though I babied it to make sure it didnt crack. They sent a new batch, but it was the same, after that I gave up on it. Still have about 10 tubes. Its expensive too compared to even high end suckdown material.
Biostar with scheu or erkodent is money.

Top Bottom