Looking for the correct heating elements and thermocouple

• Thread starter Dental Furnace Elements
  • Start date
Dental Furnace Elements

Dental Furnace Elements

Sponsors
Hi Everyone -
New forum user, but I am the owner of dentalfurnaceelements.com and have been selling MoSi2 elements for over a decade mostly into the industrial space, but we opened up the web shop a few years back as we noticed that the dental laboratory market was being under served by OEMs. We are the exclusive online reseller for Kanthal, a Swedish company who makes the elements used by almost all of the furnace manufactures (some of them mentioned in this thread ;) )

MoSi2 heating elements are deceptively complex. They come in several different grades, with price spreads that are pretty wide. On the lower end of the grade spectrum, the elements are quite inexpensive, but they spall more oxide (create more white powder),which is full of impurities and can cause discoloration issues with your zirconia.

Companies like Ivoclar have standardized on the Kanthal HT grade of MoSi2 elements, which although more expensive, are made to work in highly cyclic batch furnaces - like dental ovens - and create much less contamination. Not coincidentally, we stock HT grade elements as our standard grade at our place of business in Cleveland, OH.

I have written extensively about MoSi2 element life - check out these resources for more info:
MoSi2 Elements Primer
Element Glazing Explained
MoSi2 Element Installation

As a side note, just because your elements are glazed does not mean they are end of life (EOL). Glazing is normal and expected, and element failure is usually instantaneous with little or no warning. Average element life in dental furnaces seems to be around 20 months based on what I have seen. For high output labs, I usually recommend having spares on hand at 18 months and replacement at 24 months.

I hope that helps! Give me a call at 844.683.3682 if you have any more questions.

Warm Regards,
//John Davis

PS - our prices are usually 50% of what the OEMs are selling for! Check us out.

user name

user name

Donator
Give Mary Davis a raise.
Ive been recommending you guys to everyone here for quite a while.

Affinity

Affinity

Beautiful! Thanks! I need some new elements for my dekema but it doesnt look like there are any on there for a uSic?

OP
Dental Furnace Elements

Dental Furnace Elements

Sponsors
Give Mary Davis a raise.
Ive been recommending you guys to everyone here for quite a while.
I will definitely tell her that! She happens to be the *real* boss of the operation, so credit is due where credit is due!

Also, thank you so much for the recommendations!! PM me your lab name and I will throw something extra your way for your next order!

OP
Dental Furnace Elements

Dental Furnace Elements

Sponsors
Beautiful! Thanks! I need some new elements for my dekema but it doesnt look like there are any on there for a uSic?
We can do SiC elements, we just need some measurements first. We stock Amann Girrbach elements, but the other ones we would have to order from the manufacturer.

@user name posted I2R - they are a competitor but a good company - I know some of the people over there as they used to work at Kanthal ;) We do well from a lead time and stock perspective with MoSi2 elements, but SiC elements can be a long lead time if we don't stock them.

The measurements are easy - if you start with diameter, overall length, and then length of the spiral cut section, I can start there. All measurements in mm please!

Thanks

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
We can do SiC elements, we just need some measurements first. We stock Amann Girrbach elements, but the other ones we would have to order from the manufacturer.

@user name posted I2R - they are a competitor but a good company - I know some of the people over there as they used to work at Kanthal ;) We do well from a lead time and stock perspective with MoSi2 elements, but SiC elements can be a long lead time if we don't stock them.

The measurements are easy - if you start with diameter, overall length, and then length of the spiral cut section, I can start there. All measurements in mm please!

Thanks
I'm not one of the biggest brained mammels here, but if you can put a picture showing how to get each of those measurments and what they mean..

Is length as a measure from ...?

What the Smurf is a spiral cut section.

user name

user name

Donator

Thanks
I think there are several Dekema users on here. If you want, email me a UPS label and Ill send an intact used element to you for size reference.

OP
Dental Furnace Elements

Dental Furnace Elements

Sponsors
I am going to borrow "what the smurf" ... that's awesome.

I should've posted an image - sorry about that!

1589303208840.png

Don't worry about the "dump end" measurement. I just need Overall Length, Hot zone, and then the diameter. If your elements look different than this, definitely give me a call!

OP
Dental Furnace Elements

Dental Furnace Elements

Sponsors
I think there are several Dekema users on here. If you want, email me a UPS label and Ill send an intact used element to you for size reference.
Wow, thank you! I will definitely take you up on that offer. PM your lab name/ mailing address and I will send something out to you.

Affinity

Affinity

The measurement is the easy part, I just wasnt sure of the chemical composition of the element, I know its a silicone carbide, but are there different types? Mine has 83v 17a on it..

OP
Dental Furnace Elements

Dental Furnace Elements

Sponsors
The measurement is the easy part, I just wasnt sure of the chemical composition of the element, I know its a silicone carbide, but are there different types? Mine has 83v 17a on it..
For SiC elements of this type, there really is only one type which makes things easy. In the industrial world, there are a few different types of SiC elements, but those types are usually related to resistance to process gas/ furnace atmosphere and other parameters not relevant to dental furnaces.

For what its worth, I do believe that Dekema works with Kanthal in the EU, so you may already have Kanthal elements...

Car 54

Car 54

Excellent thread already, and I haven't even had to order an element, yet.
Thanks for the informative links, John. I'll keep you in mind. I have 2 - S1 1600s,
so you should be able to take care of me easily when the time comes.

OP
Dental Furnace Elements

Dental Furnace Elements

Sponsors
Excellent thread already, and I haven't even had to order an element, yet.
Thanks for the informative links, John. I'll keep you in mind. I have 2 - S1 1600s,
so you should be able to take care of me easily when the time comes.
Thanks Car 54! I really appreciate it. Yep, we keep stock on S1 elements. Feel free to email or call if you have any questions.

Affinity

Affinity

I was assuming it was the voltage but wasnt sure if that needed to be the same to match the oven, not necessarily just the correct size but the right resistance etc..

Affinity

Affinity

by the way I've posted here before about the extremely overpriced elements that zahn marks up, and I've ordered directly from kanthal and the prices on your site are very competitive to ordering direct.. however ordering from kanthal takes a long time..

Guest Room
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Top Bottom