Looking for ideas for embedding a tracking device in a denture

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
I have a dentist who has a patient with dementia. This patient keeps losing her denture. The dentist is asking if there is anyway to embed a tracking device in denture that could be traced via GPS.

I know the technology exists. We just need to find the best way to go about it. I think if we all put our heads together we can find a solution.

THOUGHTS:
The device embedded would probably need be able to be tracked without having a power source and preferably be able to be tracked by an app. I know that you track a phone ask long as the chip is in even if the battery is dead. That may or may not be helpful start on this quest.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I am afraid you have a few misunderstandings of technology.

Cell phones can not get tracked when the device has no charge whatsoever.
The systems know where is was when last powered.
Modern Iphone and Android-based devices do not fully turn off when you turn them off. This is why they can be turned on without an actual switch, but rather a momentary pushbutton. Just like the phone is always listening otherwise it wouldn't hear you say "Hello Google" or "Hey Siri".

Edit: I believe you are thinking about something like this: https://dentureid.com/

Unpowered devices are capable of communication. You likely have used them without knowing. The anti-theft tags on clothes and electronics, for example, have RFID tags. Sadly these are not the solution which you seek. Short of an unhealthily high amount of EM output from an RFID scanner there is no way to track something more than a few inches that does not have its own power source. That is why you have to tap your card to the checkout or gas pump. It has a large antenna coil wrapping around and around the card and still needs a very short distance.

There are ways for nefariously purposed endevours to read data from non-powered RFID as in credit cards from up to 300 feet, but this requires knowing where the card is and aiming an antenna appropriate for the task.

For an alternate idea, a local demetia ward gives the patients their dentures with their meals. It's far less than ideal, but it works. And sadly, most get no visitors to notice whether they are wearing their denture or not. This same ward gives the patients a "Very special bracelet", as they are told, which has an RFID tag embedded and a reader in the elevator does not permit it to close the doors while a patient is near or inside the elevator.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
I know there is a GPS tracking chip that can be embedded under the skin of dogs. Not sure what it's power source is but I assume the device is small. This could possibly work. It can be tracked by cellphone app

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
GPS works by a computer on the device receiving signals, that are continuously transmitted my a constellation of 25 satellites, and the computer working out by triangulation where it is in relation to those signals and knowing where the signals originate where it is on the planet. Again, a powered device.

The chips usually put into animals are for identification of your pet when/if they are found.

In around 2000 there was a company called Digital Angel which had a patent on a device such as you discuss, it was powered by the muscles movements and some other frufru that I don't completely remember. The company is now out of business, or changed their name as they were hounded by privacy advocates and tribulationinst eschatologists.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
I just recently saw an advertisement on this device for dogs. To track lost dogs

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I just recently saw an advertisement on this device for dogs. To track lost dogs
If you remember, I'd be fascinated to see what they're doing for power generation. I know of the ones that can fit on dog collars and have a sim card that effectively sends text messages, but not one small enough and self-generating.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
I've searched up and you are right. Not under skin and relatively bulky. So I have no idea for denture

O

omsk

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is maybe opening up a Tile and try to integrate in the denture? They are still quite big though.
They use bluetooth and you can make them "ring" through the app. You do need to be at least on the vicinity of the TIle.

However, Tile has a feature that even if you are not close to the denture, you can mark the Tile as lost through the app.
If someone else with the app happens to be close to the TIle, it will send you a notification of it's location.
It seems that the Tile is always connecting to other phones with the Tile app and sharing this information through their system.

They do use a battery and I'm not sure the legal implications of doing something like this? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be FDA approved.

But yes, you cannot use GPS tracking without a power source.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The only thing not requiring a battery is a RFID chip and that has a very limited range up to a few yards and it needs a reader device nearby to work... the smallest GPS tracker available to us everyday folk is about 40x40x10 mm with a battery what lasts for about 10 days or so...

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Maybe put a tracker on patient and retrace steps from time lost?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It seems Verichip, the ownwrs of Digital Angel was swallowed and even though it was FDA approved for human implantation may no longer be available.

So the idea of using the human implantation approved RFID cold cured into the dentures is pretty likely dead.

I think @2000markpeters idea of tracking the pt with a bracelet is more likely a solution, but it requires the facikity to hsve readers and data loging on-site and the patience to use it and track back. Presuming another facikity dweller didn't mofe them...

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
In addition to putting a tracking bracelet on the patient, put the patient's name in their denture.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
818iLBj2Y5L._UL1500_.jpg
Attach chain to denture. Fashion and utility all in one. Patent pending.

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
Maybe put a tracker on patient and retrace steps from time lost?

Our retracing the steps of the patient would just be an educated guess, right? Or does the tracking bracelet tell is where they have been?

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
How about a denture chain holder attached to ears or to glasses chain holder and to denture, you could make the holder fixable in case of sneezing so the denture don’t stray far away as projectile, after sneezing or coughing patient is instructed to keep mouth open for soft return re entry landing.
Oh man that’s an invention and a patent right there.😊

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
How about a denture chain holder attached to ears or to glasses chain holder and to denture, you could make the holder fixable in case of sneezing so the denture don’t stray far away as projectile, after sneezing or coughing patient is instructed to keep mouth open for soft return re entry landing.
Oh man that’s an invention and a patent right there.😊
Make it bluetooth enabled as a remote ring for a phone and you've got the

DentaRang3000.

Never answer the phone the same way again!

Top Bottom