Looking for an iOS, Apple Pencil-friendly, CAD workflow

L

Lab Nerd

Reaction score
We use 3Shape and dental wings to create parts right now but I'm looking for additional software that would allow more design flexibility while also utilizing apple pencils. There are many CAD solutions out there so please guide me lab gods.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
nope.. not "a thing".

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
We use 3Shape and dental wings to create parts right now but I'm looking for additional software that would allow more design flexibility while also utilizing apple pencils. There are many CAD solutions out there so please guide me lab gods.
I think there are solutions where people use Wacom tablets or other design inputs than the mouse. Look through the forums here and you may find what you are looking for. But and as Andrew P. says, Apple is not a thing with, at least, 3Shape.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I have a wacom tablet, its great for designing with a soy latte, even if its not apple.

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
There are software that perform something called "screen mirroring" to iPad (in theory to any IOS device ) and they enable to use iPad as drawing tablet (pen, gestures etc). Personally i dont have any experience on these, so i really do not know weather these actually work with 3shape.
  • Astropad Studio. a "hondo" per year.
  • Duet Display Pro. around 30$ per year (2.52$ mo)
  • EasyCanvas. either 11.90$ upfront or 4.9$ annually.

L

Lab Nerd

Reaction score
There are software that perform something called "screen mirroring" to iPad (in theory to any IOS device ) and they enable to use iPad as drawing tablet (pen, gestures etc). Personally i dont have any experience on these, so i really do not know weather these actually work with 3shape.
  • Astropad Studio. a "hondo" per year.
  • Duet Display Pro. around 30$ per year (2.52$ mo)
  • EasyCanvas. either 11.90$ upfront or 4.9$ annually.
Awesome, thanks!

L

Lab Nerd

Reaction score
I think there are solutions where people use Wacom tablets or other design inputs than the mouse. Look through the forums here and you may find what you are looking for. But and as Andrew P. says, Apple is not a thing with, at least, 3Shape.
thanks!

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
I've seen some exploratory/experimental work with introducing gestural CAD platforms, stuff built exclusively for use with touch-based mobile-oriented devices, and it seems like a really powerful way to work when well-implemented, even with the very barebones implementation I recall looking at. Not dental, just generic mechanical CAD at a sub-FreeCAD level of sophistication, a demonstrator of what's possible. But it seemed like an intuitive and sufficiently-speedy way to work.
I'm not aware of anything that's ready or adequate for actual CAD work of any sort, though. But it's ripe for development, imo.

Last edited:
L

Lab Nerd

Reaction score
I've seen some exploratory/experimental work with introducing gestural CAD platforms, and it seems like a really powerful way to work, even with the very barebones implementation I recall looking at. Not dental, just generic mechanical CAD at a sub-FreeCAD level of sophistication, a demonstrator of what's possible. But it seemed like an intuitive and sufficiently-speedy way to work.
I'm not aware of anything that's ready or adequate for actual CAD work of any sort, though. But it's ripe for development, imo.
Agreed, I am looking for solutions because of how much of a toll designing on a computer can take on bodies, especially shoulders and necks.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i'll sell you my wacom 22hd with pen but not touch sensitivity, but its not an apple product.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
the wacom does allow you to get your elbows off the desk, which is what kills my shoulders.. It is wired however so you cant just go lay on the couch like an ipad..

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
Shoulders getting hammered is simply because large 22/24" touchscreens are used improperly. But having said that, im not convinced that large screens can be used properly with Dental CAD (3shape) due nature of the application.

Problem is related to need of keyboard and mouse(s),and then using pen. Using any of these alone is not problem (since those large touchscreens can be positioned so that drawing and using pen is ergonimical) but rather trying to use different input methods combined. Its not impossible, but requires compromises.

In order to use pen ergonomically, you should move 22/24" screens 10-15cm away from your torso, in order to Reach all corners of display without having to raise arm (use shoulder) while arm is extented. Remember: holding and moving extented arm (with pen in the hand) in a screen, that is positioned like regular screen, will absolutely kill your shoulders. Screen with table stand means that you have to tilt screen so that it almost is flat on table and then hunch over the screen to allow your shoulder to be.. lets say 1/3 from the top right corner down (if you are right handed). And then you might have proper position for arm to reach other side of the screen while shoulder relaxed. Then again, hunching is not good for your mid/low back even if you are hunched while sitting.

Flex arm stand is helpful in a way because it allowes you to move screen relatively easier into position where you can tilt an rotate screen to accommodate it to your position: however screen must still be 10-15 cm away from you and shoulder must be positioned near top right corner of the screen in order to have relaxed Reach to all sides of the larger screen. This would be the proper and most ergonimical way to use large screens with pen: you basically rest/support your yourself to screen (if standing, screen is one support in addition your own legs). Unfortunately this limits use of spacemouse and keyboard, since you cannot use them while "holding" large touch screen - you have to push screen away, or take some silly posture to use them.

Keyboard can be virtualized (ofc it requires extra actions to use enable/disable virtual keyb) but spacemouse.. which is pretty much essential in CAD. In theory you can program gestures to touchscreen to allow panning/zooming rotating etc, but using gestures to do those things is no where accurate as spacemouse.. In theory, a spacemouse can be attached to large screen (wacoms have huge frame area) so that ergonimics remain good.. but it requires fiddling. Rotation and stuff can be done with pressing mouse and moving pen.. but that is just a wrist killer: using finger (pinching pen) while doing swiping motions is basically what causes issues while using regular mouse!

Anyway. If keyboard and mouses are required then issue is constantly moving screen - it takes effort to place screen again into proper position after it is moved out of the way.

Take 3shape for example: most workflows requires keyboard intputs, and spacemouse is used to rotate objects constantly. When screen is sitting on desk tablestand you are constantly trying to reach screen with pen (which further than keyboard or spacemouse),you will raise your extented arm for each pen action you take. Or if you use flex stand, you need to move screen very often, or then find a way to use spacemouse without moving screen.

i would say consider twice before using large touch screens - and you if decide to get one, dont use it like regual screen.

As for Pads or 13" screens.. They are quite handy, since they can be move away easier and they can be positioned so that they can be used as secondary screen. But since moving mouse, keyboard, tablet and/or spacemouse on table is a bit pain between buttocks.. i actually might consider using Pad+pen as regular mouse replacement: all inputs that are done with regular mouse would be done using touchpad/pen. But.. then using pen and pad this way requires a bit of radio-ulnar deviation of wrist (combined with flexion/extension ofc) because one does not want arm/wrist to rub (or displace) the pad.. and that is wrist killer..

Last edited: