Locator cast to female stainless steel post

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I have a dr that wants to do a post and core with a Locator. I've never cast to stainless steel. Is there any special techniques I should be aware of? What alloy is good for it? I usually cast my post and cores in Argenco Y+ but am open to using whatever is best.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
I did the same thing many year ago.
From memory I used 69 percent au casting alloy to keep casting temp down
I don’t remember any special techniques, but I think the PREAT website had instructions for it
Sorry that was a pretty vague response in hindsight but hope it helps a bit

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have a dr that wants to do a post and core with a Locator. I've never cast to stainless steel. Is there any special techniques I should be aware of? What alloy is good for it? I usually cast my post and cores in Argenco Y+ but am open to using whatever is best.
You shouldn't do stainless steel, Cast it using non-precious and use a castable (wax) locator. Rhein83usa.com sells them, but so do most of the implant companies. I use non-precious because its the hardest shlt on the planet and works great for the post and core when you cast both as all-in-one together.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I think this is a bad concept, but I guess it would work great for a long term extraction scenario.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Apparently the patient has lots of health issues and bad previous work done. For her this is the easiest solution to anchor a partial. The Dr. wants to use only a Locator by Preat. I've read Preat's technique pdf and seems simple enough.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Talked to a high end tech friend that I trust. He told me he's done hundreds of them and just uses a c&b alloy that is the same one I'm using.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
we actually have one of these in house curently.
cast a post with a rot cap coping and the locator on top. you can get castable locators from zest or rhein83. possibly others.
while not my first option for treatment, they turn out great and its dual purpose. helps keep a tooth in the head and help retain a partial

Top Bottom