Let's talk Gold

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
I still do probably 80% of my upper second molars in gold, and a surprisingly high percentage of lower seconds and even first molars in gold.

However, I must confess that I have usually "taken what the lab has given me" as long as it is a major vendor alloy and it is high noble with a decent percentage of actual gold for the warm yellow.

Apparently, I am very unscientific and "un-exacting" about my requirements for alloys, which is contrary to pretty much EVERYTHING else I do.

I think I was taught that a Type III is the safe choice, but I have notes from gold focused CE I have taken to look at the Argen 77 and Jensen JRVT 77 (R.V. Tucker... woot!) is best for anything under a short span bridge. Wouldn't those be Type II gold?

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
I still do probably 80% of my upper second molars in gold, and a surprisingly high percentage of lower seconds and even first molars in gold.

However, I must confess that I have usually "taken what the lab has given me" as long as it is a major vendor alloy and it is high noble with a decent percentage of actual gold for the warm yellow.

Apparently, I am very unscientific and "un-exacting" about my requirements for alloys, which is contrary to pretty much EVERYTHING else I do.

I think I was taught that a Type III is the safe choice, but I have notes from gold focused CE I have taken to look at the Argen 77 and Jensen JRVT 77 (R.V. Tucker... woot!) is best for anything under a short span bridge. Wouldn't those be Type II gold?
::crickets::

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
To me the “why” is largely irrelevant. I’ll make a crown out of whatever gold my accounts are willing to pay for, it’s all the same to me. For the past several years they’ve been good with a 40% gold alloy. I’d probably use a 60% alloy if it was up to me because I like the way it polishes.

Last edited:
ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I don’t have time to keep switching alloys. Been using the same 56% for many years.
FC is getting popular again. Just got four more single second molars in.
C7390DAD-D521-4F15-926B-AC987765D8B9.jpeg