Layered Ti abutments

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Oh, I know.. we do an absolute crap ton of UCLA’s and are simply taking the load off... layered Ti is much cheaper to produce

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'd so love to get away from the UCLA abutments, too. To much time, labor and cost in doing those.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I'd so love to get away from the UCLA abutments, too. To much time, labor and cost in doing those.

I don't think I have done a single UCLA in 2018. I use Atlantis for almost all my my custom abutments. Car54, why do you wax and cast UCLAs when you could fabricate milled Titanium custom abutments? I am not saying you shouldn't, just curious.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I don't think I have done a single UCLA in 2018. I use Atlantis for almost all my my custom abutments. Car54, why do you wax and cast UCLAs when you could fabricate milled Titanium custom abutments? I am not saying you shouldn't, just curious.

No problem, Brett :) Most of them are anterior (some Bis also) cases where the Dr's wants emax layered. So I cast and opaque them and do an emax core and build porc. I can't do a LT at 7/10ths (my minimum and favorite thickness for a layered LT crown) and have it block out a titanium abutment without it being affected by a low value look.

The Dr's really like how they come out, otherwise, I use stock abtms or send the 3Shape file out to Vulcan, Zimmer Biomet etc for their milled Titanium abtmts.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yea, here we go.. with a smart assed response..
you are rehashing it by posting, and that’s actually fine with me to get opinions on stability, but simply saying “I won’t do them cuz they all failed” really doesn’t tell me ****.

There is no usable information in the statement. You could actually give a more detailed response, but would rather tell me to “take a bow”.
"smart assed response"...I didn't think it was, but if you really want a smart ass response....then here goes!!! Who in their right mind would want to layer ceramics to Titanium? For one, every time its fired it builds oxide, and how do you remove that oxide on the platform connection? Also, why do I want to spend hours in the lab layering...fighting path of insertions or feeling like I'm in a UFC brawl over packing porcelain down the screw channel? If you can take the time to design a Titanium abutment, make it so it can fit a crown that goes over it. Then the bonder, do this that way, handle that way, don't do this, seriously, whiskey tango foxtrot!!! What a pain in the ass all that is...seriously, I'd rather practice swallowing razor blades.

I know, I could of been a little more comedical, I told you I tried. Seriously though, I'm probably more frustrated at myself when it comes to Titanium ceramics because I could never figure it out...then to add to my frustration, I lose a great account over it. Granted, this was eight years, materials do change, but that's where I'm at these days. Now if your offended, or butt hurt in anyway, get over it. It's one guys take on it, it's like every comment on this forum, a different perspective and different view, doesn't mean it's right or wrong. Besides, it's Friday...it's time to sit back and drink a cold one...cheers :)

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Are you doing UCLA’s? My normal workload was 5 a day.. I’ll trade layered Ti for that any day...

As for the oxidation, it’s all teqnique sensitive, and probably needs more attention in other areas... and, these aren’t going to fit in every lab

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Are you layering a stock tI abutment or a custom abutment?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
All custom abutments. There is no way to get support on stock abutments

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Are you doing UCLA’s? My normal workload was 5 a day.. I’ll trade layered Ti for that any day...

As for the oxidation, it’s all teqnique sensitive, and probably needs more attention in other areas... and, these aren’t going to fit in every lab
I haven't done a UCLA a few years and even before that it was rare...usually when a implant company makes a new size and doesn't offer anything else but UCLA. I've found if they want screw-retained...much easier to make the Titanium abutment so a crown sits over it and cement it in the lab before it goes out. I will say, you have some pretty abutments right there...but layering those....uggghhh!!!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
no there isn't but baked porcelain is still weaker than a lithium disilicate or zirconia substructure.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Agree, I've been disappointed most of the time in using stock abutments due to poor margin placement and lack of proper support. Whenever I can, I go with CAD/CAM abutments or UCLA, opaqued.

Last edited:
Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
no there isn't but baked porcelain is still weaker than a lithium disilicate or zirconia substructure.

I won’t disagree with that at all

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I usually order TRU analogs

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Removing Scale

0B2FC210-6B1D-446E-81FF-3F930B4EFDE1.jpeg
I use old screws to hone the screw seat along with a few custom tools..
2nd pic, the interfaces were blasted on low with “fine” glass, and a soft Robinson brush for final polish on the interface

The Synocta was fine tuned with diamond paste, machine oil, and an analog with the indexes ground out.

A2C3D812-106D-47B6-9403-8E02080E675F.jpeg
7506F2F6-FC98-4E14-B008-E5D9BDF59DC4.jpeg

In the final pic, the analog was placed on, and the cuff is polished.. you can see the laser etched Straumann Logo.

1FB94342-C27F-4F80-8E8D-E11CF7E31B17.jpeg