Laser welding

NathanNever

NathanNever

Reaction score
I just bought a laser welder and I also did an introductory course but of poor quality. I ask you some advice for the best quality welding for titanium, the lowest possible distortion because I use it to weld titanium bars for implants screwed. Type: What kind of pulse shaping is best to use? I already know that I need to divide the area to be welded into quadrants, and apply North / South, East / West, Northeast / Southwest, Northwest / Southeast, and so on. But unfortunately my experience is zero :( Thanks to everyone for the help!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
First have enough Argon, Second get a lot of scrap pieces & practice, try Crome cobalt and putting wires on it to get a feel for how the beam feels. What Laser did you obtain? I have a LaserStar and admit at the time I purchased they did nothing, but I do not know what they offer now.
put together a bunch of Ti pieces and check the weld by breaking them, you will need practice with Ti before you find your machines sweet spot (beam,duration,power, pulse),at least for 1 thickness. But then I have only had mine since 98.
Just wanted to mention metal must be clean, the metal must touch, if you can see a space in the microscope the metal of Chrome can be filled the Ti I have not been able to create a good joint with tiller wire they must contact for the two pieces to melt together, this is not soldering and Ti if over heated crumbles.
The laserstar allows me to change the width, depth & power duration of the shot I looked at the elettrolaser website and did not see what controls you have availiable. My laserstar is only 48 juels but that has been sufficient for Ti their Master 3D seems to have similar control parameters, but you will have to practice with scrap until you find your machines program. I did not see a gas port available but would assume it would have to be there as they list Ti.
I also recommend BTI but I do not think you are in the USA.

Last edited:
I

irinelticau

Reaction score
Speak with drizzt. he have easy 50

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Ti metal is in a class of all its own. Cannot be compared to Chrome cobalt, gold, etc. Temp settings will differ due
to Ti can be welded at a much lower heat. Argon is a must as mentioned above. Also when prepping your metal to weld,
normally a rubber wheel is used, not a burr. You want a smooth surface,and once again be careful not to overheat the metal.
Not familiar with that welder " Elettrolaser" for pulse shaping. There are different ways to apply the heat source. Some have
a "Duty" that is main power that can be reduced, but increased on the other end to create a more pin point laser. That normally
is used in tight areas around abutments for example. As AJEL mentioned above. Once you can weld two pieces together,
bend them with pliers and not break, you have it mastered. Also practice with a study cast with implant analogs. Start your weld at
a corner with a tack weld then rotating it 180 degrees, until all four corners are connected. Then proceed with a full bead weld over lapping
your welds. Do not try to build up the metal in bulk as it will create a weaker joint.
There is a demo on my website (www.hawkeyedentalstudio.com) in the services section of two pieces of stainless metal being welded.
Joint is very wide, but using the correct parameters it allows the laser to fully capture both sides of the metal to create a strong weld joint.
Just takes some seat time and alot of practice.

Check out BTI, they have an excellent training facility in Uticia, New York.

Last edited:
Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hi , I have an easy 50 by elettrolaser and love it !

I would say pretty much what drroberts says . You will need to practice ... a LOT !!

I don't have great experience with Ti welding so I am not much of a help about the exact values for spot , power etc . I think you will have to experimebt a bit . Don't forget to use argon .

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Thanks rhicks3302 that is a pretty good article, as I do not cast in my lab I have been making the frame, but usually have the bar produced for me. The training at BTI I hear is so good I almost want to take some .

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
get intouch with Bio-Genics in Utica NY

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I have the number thanks, on even number years I have BTI come at the Chicago convention time and do the Service & Alignment. Best $300. checkup and service the old lady can get. Having Laserstar do something starts at $2000., I had to have them (laserstar) do something last year (they were not in a big hurry for the old girl & it was very expensive, but they did do a good job.) There is a big difference with the beam properly Aligned, anyone with a laser should be doing the paper check every 25 hrs use & if the check shows anything other than a perfect circle have it aligned , BTI brings service tools that you don't want to purchase for the purpose. Laser Measurement - Laser Measurement Tools | Edmund OpticsThere is a shield on many lasers that protects the lens from splash, I get a replacement from either Anchor Optics - Commercial Grade Float Glass Windows
or Float Glass Optical Windows | Edmund Optics
I keep several protective windows in stock If you have never replaced yours feel it sometime those little rough spots can reduce the effectiveness of your beam.(have you noticed you have to use a higher voltage lately?) Especially important with Ti, or Gold.
You need to change the deionized distilled water Lab Grade Deionized Water, 1 gal. for sale. Buy from The Science Company., that the yag light source is bathed in yearly if not more often (you don't have to but after you replace a set of gold mirrors & contacts you will.) My Laserstar has a coolant filter with replacable ion absorbers & I have a 1 kilo bag to replace the media with on even years, if yo use the laser every day I would think of replacing the media every year. 1 light bulb is over $650. and I did my maintenance & got 12 years out of one. I know a lab that does not do their service and replace theirs every 3 years (with a $400. set of mirrors & $200 set of contacts). Make sure you are using Argon & not Argon/CO2 mix the result is not worth the $10 saved on a 2500psi tank, keep a spare filled tank on hand don't use her without the gas.(no gas lots of splash & pits in the weld) a Note on Argon have fresh air in the lab increased levels of argon from working at the laser not real good for you. some effects Inhaling argon gas in oxygen deficient atmospheres (argon will displace the O2) may cause ringing in the ears, headaches, shortness of breath, fatigue, wheezing, dizziness, indigestion, lack of muscle coordination and respiratory difficulties.

I know NathanNever wanted some beam numbers, (duration, fokus,penetration, frequency ) but I thought he should realize that lady just does not sit pretty without a little care & a few service materials and their importance.
And for those thinking of just going out and getting a laser it will work but does not solve all your problems without a little TLC, & lots of practice.

Last edited:
NathanNever

NathanNever

Reaction score
I thank you all for the good advice, I while I'm exercising ... my middle name: Luke Skywalker. :D I found some documentation on the Internet by typing "pulse shaping for laser welding" and I found some interesting things. In daily use I do not know how useful, however it is all useful to enrich knowledge.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have the number thanks, on even number years I have BTI come at the Chicago convention time and do the Service & Alignment. Best $300. checkup and service the old lady can get. Having Laserstar do something starts at $2000., I had to have them (laserstar) do something last year (they were not in a big hurry for the old girl & it was very expensive, but they did do a good job.) There is a big difference with the beam properly Aligned, anyone with a laser should be doing the paper check every 25 hrs use & if the check shows anything other than a perfect circle have it aligned , BTI brings service tools that you don't want to purchase for the purpose. Laser Measurement - Laser Measurement Tools | Edmund OpticsThere is a shield on many lasers that protects the lens from splash, I get a replacement from either Anchor Optics - Commercial Grade Float Glass Windows
or Float Glass Optical Windows | Edmund Optics
I keep several protective windows in stock If you have never replaced yours feel it sometime those little rough spots can reduce the effectiveness of your beam.(have you noticed you have to use a higher voltage lately?) Especially important with Ti, or Gold.
You need to change the deionized distilled water Lab Grade Deionized Water, 1 gal. for sale. Buy from The Science Company., that the yag light source is bathed in yearly if not more often (you don't have to but after you replace a set of gold mirrors & contacts you will.) My Laserstar has a coolant filter with replacable ion absorbers & I have a 1 kilo bag to replace the media with on even years, if yo use the laser every day I would think of replacing the media every year. 1 light bulb is over $650. and I did my maintenance & got 12 years out of one. I know a lab that does not do their service and replace theirs every 3 years (with a $400. set of mirrors & $200 set of contacts). Make sure you are using Argon & not Argon/CO2 mix the result is not worth the $10 saved on a 2500psi tank, keep a spare filled tank on hand don't use her without the gas.(no gas lots of splash & pits in the weld) a Note on Argon have fresh air in the lab increased levels of argon from working at the laser not real good for you. some effects Inhaling argon gas in oxygen deficient atmospheres (argon will displace the O2) may cause ringing in the ears, headaches, shortness of breath, fatigue, wheezing, dizziness, indigestion, lack of muscle coordination and respiratory difficulties.

I know NathanNever wanted some beam numbers, (duration, fokus,penetration, frequency ) but I thought he should realize that lady just does not sit pretty without a little care & a few service materials and their importance.
And for those thinking of just going out and getting a laser it will work but does not solve all your problems without a little TLC, & lots of practice.

Ok AJ when you visit family you can service my laser, :) seems you know your stuff. I have had my laser more than 10 years, not one thing has been replaced, aside from the filter and the cooling water. Still works like the day I bought it. Best piece of equipment I ever purchased.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
John
Ok AJ when you visit family you can service my laser, seems you know your stuff. I have had my laser more than 10 years, not one thing has been replaced, aside from the filter and the cooling water. Still works like the day I bought it. Best piece of equipment I ever purchased.
During the California LMT show call BTI & have them come out and go over the machine (their calibration "lolly pop") will bring the beam to it's new shape, ten years that is a great life for a yag bulb, they can test the value of the light & give you a true idea how long you have to go. The filter & cooling water is so important, what laser did you say you have? They are an amazing piece of equipment, I wonder if the new ones are being over-engineered like ours are. Chad Rosato from BTI does a exacting job, he is on the forum from time to time, but as a newywed he might have other distractions.