Laser welding ti base to chrome cobalt frame?

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with laser welding a ti base to a chrome cobalt frame?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
There are a few threads here about that, hawkeye danny, I forget his username, used to do these all the time but he doesnt post much anymore.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
There are a few threads here about that, hawkeye danny, I forget his username, used to do these all the time but he doesnt post much anymore.
Same dude as the UCLA master? or someone else? I think I remember...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Here's the dude, just need to go through his posts or use search in the top right and make sure it auto populates his username when you start typoing and then click on it to finish. Sometimes it gets odd if you don't do it that way and won't look for just that user's posts.
i dunno, it just does.

but here's the user profile page for Danny.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
from past experience with laser welding gold-adapts, is that they will rarely hold long term... gold/gold.
also past experience with titanium tells me its extremely difficult to laser weld, so ti/CrCo? probably a fail before its out of the gate... I would bond before I weld.

Y

yareq

Reaction score
Gold to Gold good connection sometimes have to use black marker or sandblast surface to reduce the shiny effect before welding
CrCo to CrCo good connection try not to burn metal/decontaminate with carbon (use argon!)
CrCo to Gold good connection (you can cast your own gold wire and hammer down to make it thin for welding)
Ti to Ti good connection use pure Ti-wire and good argon flow on the surface otherwise many problems.
Ti to CrCo no-go!
Ti to gold no-go! due to specifics of Ti its only possible to weld Ti to Ti but very well and stable.
for every welding job set proper amount of Argon to much will or to less will create turbulences and will include some O2 mix - can cause contamination with carbon make connection very brittle.
Gold need more energy to weld same deepness than CoCr and very less energy for Ti to be used compared with Au.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This has to be the dumbest idea ever posted on DLN.
WTF are you thinking?
What part of retrievable don't you get?
Try adding a repair to your non-precious bridge with a ti base stuck to it.
FFS try learning how to cast a ucla or get the hell out of the lab business.