Laser weld warpage

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
How hard is it to warp a cast partial frame with a laser weld? I know for a fact the pulsed arc welders can be very technique sensitive when it comes to avoiding warpage. Have no experience w laser welders. Anyhow, probably obvious as to why I'm asking. Sent out a frame to have some support welded on in order to add a tooth. Came back to me rocking on the model. Pretty sure I'll be removing 'add a tooth to pd' from my offerings. Too much liability, not enough profit.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Any time you change metal from a solid to molten, there is a slight expansion, then a greater contraction as it cools. The method of that melting process doesn't matter. Heat warp always happens, but can be controlled. Some try to use clamping type devices, but they are not very effective. An experienced welder knows how to control that heat warp by adjusting machine settings and using predicticable welds, not just going in like a machine gun, which sounds like what happened in your case.
However, the will to achieve excellence, or the profitability of time spent can be factors that are just as relevant in today labs.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
How hard is it to warp a cast partial frame with a laser weld? I know for a fact the pulsed arc welders can be very technique sensitive when it comes to avoiding warpage. Have no experience w laser welders. Anyhow, probably obvious as to why I'm asking. Sent out a frame to have some support welded on in order to add a tooth. Came back to me rocking on the model. Pretty sure I'll be removing 'add a tooth to pd' from my offerings. Too much liability, not enough p
How hard is it to warp a cast partial frame with a laser weld? I know for a fact the pulsed arc welders can be very technique sensitive when it comes to avoiding warpage. Have no experience w laser welders. Anyhow, probably obvious as to why I'm asking. Sent out a frame to have some support welded on in order to add a tooth. Came back to me rocking on the model. Pretty sure I'll be removing 'add a tooth to pd' from my offerings. Too much liability, not enough profit.
I have done this dozens of time. Later weld does not have enough heat distribution to cause warping . Regular welding does that because the whole frame is getting hot even with protection paste.