Laser printed bridge over implants without abutments !!

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
no, the finishing is not the same, and the metal itself has different properties.

with casting all of the grain structure of the metal is "somewhat" uniform, meaning while the cast will be a bit porous if done wrong, it will have its own hardness, springiness, and resilience.

with laser melted metal, you basically have metal powder fused together from a hot blast. rapidly heating cold metal does 2 things to the metal: 1. diffuses the heat through the adjacent particles, 2. if the temperature gets high enough it work-hardens the material. this causes problems for trying to fit the printed part because this hardened/unhardened inconsistent pattern throughout the piece will inevitably warp the printed product and make it not fixable.

have a look at this video of the process in detail, this should give you a better understanding of the pitfalls you'll be dealing with

and I thought this laser printing is the answer to our to all our problems , looks like it's starting new problems

doug

doug

Reaction score
3D printed metal has growth problems. It looks as though the company in the video is addressing them as they arise. I expect that this process will be viable for a lot of other processes that we aren't even looking at since our focus is the lab. The first time I saw a laser in action in1965 all they did was blow a small hole through a razor blade to show its power. Look at what it does now. We almost can't live without them. The first dentist to use a laser in his practice was Dr Tom Gordan here in Orlando in 1969-70. The setup was a beast and took up the entire length of the back room in his office. All he accomplished was to "laser-weld" a connector on a full gold bridge. Lots of failures and lots of time to get to that.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It will get usefull for more eventually. It's still at very-noisy-needs-a-sound-deadening-cabinet-dot-matrix-printer stage compared to printing now and wjat we can do so much fastsr, more and vastly quieter.

and I thought this laser printing is the answer to our to all our problems , looks like it's starting new problems
When casting instead of swedging was brought along it was not much different. Porosity, short, and holes? I didn't have to worry abiut that before, so you tell me this is better but I won't find out I wasted 4 hours until it's almost done!?

It's another technology inflection point, hold on tiht and watch closely.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
This morning he's bringing up an interesting claim , he said what's the difference between printed metal and casted metal ? Isn't it the same outcome and the same hand finishing/polishing ?

Well to be honest, I think he's right. View attachment 37001

The all plastic one of course.

These are last resort options for a case these days. When the implant is so old this is the only option. I do not feel an abutment like this is standard of care anymore. The milled interface against milled interface has become what is the expected and accepted method.

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-18 at 11.21.50 PM (1).jpeg

This is the case we've been discussing
what do you suggest as abutments?

I was thinking Ti Base with custom abutment glued to it then the metal frame.
Megagen Implants
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-18 at 11.21.50 PM.jpeg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
dess makes Megagen premills, do custom ti abtuments and then plan your bridges. i suggest 2 bridges, like this

bridges.png

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
No dess here. I'll do custom abutment cemented on the ti base.
16:22 bridge would be more stable don't you think?
Yes, but the angulation betweeen 13-16 and 12-22 are a bit off. It can be fixed through angle correction. It is easier to make two bridges in case of chipping in the anterior.