Laser printed bridge over implants without abutments !!

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
Hi
I know that a laser printed bridge over implants should be milled to get excellent fitting platform .

A friend of mine , who have the laser printer is trying to convince me that if it is conical shape then we're all good . He says look at the x ray . I looked , I don't find it good enough .
What's your opinion or knowledge IMG-20201008-WA0033.jpg IMG-20201008-WA0029.jpg?

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
Forgot to say its hand finished and polished

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The force looks like it will be focused on the outer/upper ring of the implant. THis is inviting fractured implants in the pt's mouth in my view.

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
just because you can doesn't mean you should .

So first of all you're saying it is NOT acceptable to print metal over implants if there will be no milling ? Even if it was conical connection? Right?

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
The force looks like it will be focused on the outer/upper ring of the implant

I don't get this part ,
Isn't it similar to the stock abutment? Only issue is with fitting !!!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So first of all you're saying it is NOT acceptable to print metal over implants if there will be no milling ? Even if it was conical connection? Right?
If it can be done the same as the interface, printing is fine. If it is not accurate enough, it will cause issues. I cannot tell but it looks very inaccurate.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I don't get this part ,
Isn't it similar to the stock abutment? Only issue is with fitting !!!
IF it is the same dimensions as the stock abutment, there will be no problems. If it's larger and seating primarily on the top edge of the abutment was my concern. Fit is fundamental.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
You can make a conical insert to go into a nobel CC connection, doesn't mean that because it goes in that the force will be applied the same way unless it is the same dimensions, same angles...

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hi
I know that a laser printed bridge over implants should be milled to get excellent fitting platform .

A friend of mine , who have the laser printer is trying to convince me that if it is conical shape then we're all good . He says look at the x ray . I looked , I don't find it good enough .
What's your opinion or knowledge View attachment 36993 View attachment 36994?
So, he printed all, including the interface, correct? Even being a conical connection, I doubt this is 'good' enough. The bar looks porous and unfinished, which coincides with my experience and printed metal frames. I know for sure, I would not be able to sell this to my clients.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Printer owner has a payment to make. Printer owner is trying to figure out how to get more use which means more money for him. I would rather use a milling center to get the most accurate fit, not just good enough.

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
This morning he's bringing up an interesting claim , he said what's the difference between printed metal and casted metal ? Isn't it the same outcome and the same hand finishing/polishing ?

Well to be honest, I think he's right. IMG-20201009-WA0000.jpg

The all plastic one of course.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This morning he's bringing up an interesting claim , he said what's the difference between printed metal and casted metal ? Isn't it the same outcome and the same hand finishing/polishing ?

Well to be honest, I think he's right. View attachment 37001

He nevwr finished a fully cast one or he'd know. You use jewlers tools and a method called 'lapping'. The cones on that one he made are not that precise. Printed metal is porous, always will be with our current technology. Cast metal is not unless we made mistakes.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

Well to be honest, I think he's right. View attachment 37001

no, the finishing is not the same, and the metal itself has different properties.

with casting all of the grain structure of the metal is "somewhat" uniform, meaning while the cast will be a bit porous if done wrong, it will have its own hardness, springiness, and resilience.

with laser melted metal, you basically have metal powder fused together from a hot blast. rapidly heating cold metal does 2 things to the metal: 1. diffuses the heat through the adjacent particles, 2. if the temperature gets high enough it work-hardens the material. this causes problems for trying to fit the printed part because this hardened/unhardened inconsistent pattern throughout the piece will inevitably warp the printed product and make it not fixable.

have a look at this video of the process in detail, this should give you a better understanding of the pitfalls you'll be dealing with

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
no, the finishing is not the same, and the metal itself has different properties.

with casting all of the grain structure of the metal is "somewhat" uniform, meaning while the cast will be a bit porous if done wrong, it will have its own hardness, springiness, and resilience.

with laser melted metal, you basically have metal powder fused together from a hot blast. rapidly heating cold metal does 2 things to the metal: 1. diffuses the heat through the adjacent particles, 2. if the temperature gets high enough it work-hardens the material. this causes problems for trying to fit the printed part because this hardened/unhardened inconsistent pattern throughout the piece will inevitably warp the printed product and make it not fixable.

have a look at this video of the process in detail, this should give you a better understanding of the pitfalls you'll be dealing with

Great info, thanks!

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
But why? End product isn’t as accurate as a Swiss milll turned interface. Material properties aren’t the same with no legitimate industry process validation. Seems like dancing on the fringes of doing things just to do them with no forethought on the consequences of liability.

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
But why? End product isn’t as accurate as a Swiss milll turned interface. Material properties aren’t the same with no legitimate industry process validation. Seems like dancing on the fringes of doing things just to do them with no forethought on the consequences of liability.

The reason is absence of accessories like MultiAbutments, or it's high cost.